Concept Art Gallery - Looking for Artists to Showcase - Print Sales of Digital Works

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Art Gallery - Looking for Artists to Showcase - Print Sales of Digital Works

Hello,

My name is Jordan Lewis and I want to reach out to the ConceptArt.org community on behalf of the Folsom Street Foundry.

We are a new San Francisco venue opening early Summer, 2012 dedicated to showcasing digitally created concept artwork.

A small team of friends and myself have been transforming an old art deco San Francisco industrial building into a gallery space and workshop focused on innovation and bringing concepts to life.

We are using high grade commercial NEC video wall panels to slideshow concept artwork, allowing guests to enjoy a large selection of what we consider to be some of the best artwork being produced today.

We have access to several very high end print shops in the neighborhood that can produce great prints. We will offer guests the ability to purchase these high quality prints of the artwork on display. We also plan to purchase several prints from the current show that we will have immediately available for purchase. Profit from the sales of all artwork will go primarily go to you, the artist, with our gallery taking a small percentage.

We think digitally created concept artwork is the coolest art being created today. We also feel that it is is a vastly underserved market at present.

I'll conclude with a short but more detailed description of who we are and what we are doing, and a solicitation for artwork from the ConceptArt.org community. If you are interested in having your work showcased at our venue please send us an email, preferably with a link to an example or examples of your artwork, at:

fsfartcontact@gmail.com

Who We Are

Folsom Street Foundry is a digital concept gallery.
    It is also a working art and creation studio.
    The team consists of artists, metal workers, carpenters, Navy SEALs and an attorney.
    We are looking to increase our numbers.

What We Do

We showcase both emerging and established digital concept artists on commercial LCD displays and paneled arrays. All artwork will either be for display only, or for sale as high quality artists prints, at the discretion of the artist.
    We are located in the historic SOMA industrial district of San Francisco. Our building is a former foundry built in 1936 in the art deco style. The entire venue serves as a showcase contrasting the masonry construction of old San Francisco with vivid technology, immersive sound, and the work of a new generation of artists.
    Our goal for the venue is to serve as a nexus for inspiration and discussion among artists as well as a gallery for anyone wanting to see eye popping digital concept artwork.

CONTACT

fsfartcontact@gmail.com
    www.folsomstreetfoundry.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fsfartcontact For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 2,407 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds great I have some questions though.

Who would pay for the production cost and setup for the artwork being made onto prints?

Would the prints be open ended?

Do you have a contract to insure that the intellectual property is protected by the copyright holders which in some cases are third parties like game and film companies?

And that small percentage going to the gallery would be?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Sounds great I have some questions though.

Who would pay for the production cost and setup for the artwork being made onto prints?

Would the prints be open ended?

Do you have a contract to insure that the intellectual property is protected by the copyright holders which in some cases are third parties like game and film companies?

And that small percentage going to the gallery would be?
    Thanks for the reply. My name is Case Lewis. I'm Jordan's brother and business partner. As the team attorney, I'm probably best suited to field these questions. I'll try to answer each question in order.

1. Regarding the production cost and setup for the prints: Our intention is to cover the up-front costs of any prints we pre-print for a show. Basically, the idea is for there to be no up-front costs for the artist whatsoever. We maintain a secure digital copy of each image in our database and provide an accounting of any sales to every artist every 30 days.

Each time a print is sold, we first deduct the cost of printing, and then the cost of any framing or delivery, if the customer chooses those options. The sale price will be determined by the artist, with one caveat; if it costs more to have the print made, framed and delivered, we reserve the right to stop offering it for sale.

2. I'm unsure what you mean by open-ended. If you mean will they be limited edition or not, I'm afraid at this point the logistics of limited edition print runs are out of our reach.

We want to get prints in customers hands ASAP after they purchase them, and considering the community here is worldwide, sending each print out to have it signed and then delivered will take more time than we have to spend at this point.

The alternative, printing the entire run up front, is not something we feel comfortable spending our limited capital on at this stage, although we would like to have that option in the near future.

This entire enterprise is a bit of a gamble for us. To the best of our knowledge, there is not currently any gallery of this nature. We believe that people will like it as much as we do, but we need to play it safe at the start.

3. Probably the best answer to this is to show you a copy of the proposed contract. It's drafted to protect the interests of both the artists and us. I've attached it to this post in .pdf format.

The specifics of the answer to this question will depend on the contract the artist has with the company they created the artwork for or sold it to. If anyone besides the artist owns rights to the artwork, my guess is that it is unlikely we will be able to sell prints of that work for that artist, although we may be able to show it, if the artist wishes, with the permission of the owner of those rights.

4. We feel that a split of the net profits (after printing and any costs for framing or delivery) of 75% going to the artist, and 25% going to the gallery, would be fair.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting and I wish you luck with the enterprise.

75/25 is a fairly generous split...but as that is after cost I wonder if you could provide a hypothetical? Something like an 18x24 print at $300 sale = ? Without knowing the print cost it is hard to gauge.

On framing and delivery...that should be optional to the buyer and added on to their cost, not deducted from the print price, unless I misunderstood?

Good luck - it would be nice to have a venue like this.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Interesting and I wish you luck with the enterprise.

75/25 is a fairly generous split...but as that is after cost I wonder if you could provide a hypothetical? Something like an 18x24 print at $300 sale = ? Without knowing the print cost it is hard to gauge.

On framing and delivery...that should be optional to the buyer and added on to their cost, not deducted from the print price, unless I misunderstood?

Good luck - it would be nice to have a venue like this.
    Thanks for replying. Excellent questions, as were Dpaint's.

I wish I could provide you with a hypothetical, but at the moment we are still negotiating with the printers.

I can tell you that we will be allowing artists to review our books for the art sales to make sure the expenses being deducted are legit. (See paragraph 7 of the proposed contract, attached to my above post).

Yes, the option to have a print framed and/or delivered will be up to the buyer. The most affordable option for them will be to order a print and pick it up at the gallery once we have received it from the printer.

Thanks,

Case

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Case - good luck and I'll try to stop in when in SF. Are you guys over in the historic "Dogpatch" area?

And just fyi there is actually a similar venture that was posted here a couple months ago...though European. I'll try to track down that info (or likely one of the elders will link it any moment).

Edit: On the framing (not trying to work out the finer points here of course - just curious)...so those costs are actually not deducted from the sale price?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Thanks Case - good luck and I'll try to stop in when in SF. Are you guys over in the historic "Dogpatch" area?

And just fyi there is actually a similar venture that was posted here a couple months ago...though European. I'll try to track down that info (or likely one of the elders will link it any moment).
    Great to hear! I think you'll like the place.

We're in SoMa, just west of Dogpatch. This town seems to have quite a few historic districts.

I'd certainly be interested in reading about the European venue. If you find the info and get a chance to post it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Case

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures of the space you can show us? Do you have any exhibitions planned? I relocated to SF not too long ago and I'd be interesting in checking it out when you open it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by N D Hill View Post
    Sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures of the space you can show us? Do you have any exhibitions planned? I relocated to SF not too long ago and I'd be interesting in checking it out when you open it up.
    N D Hill,

The venue is still under construction at the moment, but the big builds should be finished next week and we should be able to get some pictures up on the website shortly after that. I'll update this thread once we have the pictures up.

With regard to exhibitions, we have quite a few ideas planned, but nothing solidified yet.

-Case

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    what a neat idea!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    what a neat idea!
    Thanks! We think it's going to be pretty cool.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.