Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: John Titor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

John Titor

http://www.johntitor.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

I wanted to make this thread after I had a nice long discussion with one of our renowned mods in the forums. Instinctively, most people will pass off this guy as a hoax (hell, I did), but give him a few minutes of your time and I think you'll see that he makes some very interesting points. In my opinion, whether this guy was from the future or not, he is probably very intelligent and I agree with many of his views.

I'm a bit skeptical on his stuff about being from the future, because it's so difficult for me to believe. It's sort of difficult to comprehend. Maybe I'm just narrow-minded though.

He believes that there will be a Civil War in 2005. Does this remind you of another topic in this forum? *cough* military draft *cough*

In any case, I was hoping to catch at least a few philosophy/politics nuts in these forums to have a nice discussion/debate. John Titor isn't anything new, but I think that makes him all the more falsifiable. Cool stuff, though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there buddy!! it was just beginnign to be a very interesting discussion, sorry i had to run.

this runs partially congruent to another issue posted here in the lounge recently - regarding peak oil and the looming oil depletion crisis.

here are some links to find out more about the (seemingly) looming catastrophe an oil shortage will cause.

www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

www.wolfatthedoor.com

www.egroups.com/group/RunningOnEmpty2

Im by no means a conspiracy theorist - this is truly the first such incident that has held my attention. I personally believe that oil depletion is a serious (and really quite logical) problem we WILL have to face in our lifetime.

My opinions on time travel and other claims remains my own.

I am not citing panic, or pushing an opinion. I just believe its important to be AWARE.

Thanks guys - F

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shhhh darkcult....it must spread :evilbat:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Form
    shhhh darkcult....it must spread :evilbat:
    FORM You are UNDER ARREST!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NO! if im captured now, that means people in 2004 will discover time travel, go forward in time, discover its misuse, ban its development and that means that ill never time travel cos theyll never be inve....*dies*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't remember any of my previous post and my desire to arrest you.
    You traveled and changed time already!!!

HAVEN'T YOU!?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me dead, remember

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I just bought my rifle and returned from the 10 mile bike-ride and I spread the word about the war to many people and they are all also getting rifles and

wait...it's not true?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nut-Job

Okay, *ANYBODY* claiming they are from the future, regardless of how interesting their ideas are, is whacked.

As in fringe lunatic.

Period.

Look, it's simply a matter of critical thinking. Time travel is a theoretical model used by mathmaticians and science fiction writers. While it is mathmatically possible through the use of Cosmic String Theory, the gravetic forces involved would squish Mr. Titor, or anyone else, like a bug.

It comes down to the scientific rule Occam's Razor. The simplest of two explanitions is usually true, or correct. There are exceptions, but they are extraordinarily rare.

Anytime you have someone claim they are from the future you have a person who is attempting to influence pubic opinion through psuedo-science for their own benefit, even if that benefit is emotional. Their goals may be honorable, but their methodology brings them into serious question.

Their claim puts them into an automatic position of authority with certain groups (because, remember, they *are* from the future! They must know what they are tlaking about!), who in turn spread the word, usually in form of a warning. You see a very similar process with alien abuction stories. Often time this is accompanied by a slight to extreme persecution complex.

As their ideas spread a case can be made for the self-fulling prophecy. Assuming what they claim actually takes place, you have to seriously question would this have taken place at all if they had not brought it up? Most likely, nothing will happen.

That said, I think Mr. Titor has been watching a little too much Enterprise and reading a few too many conspiracy theories for his own good. He's obviously read his survivalist manuals, because he lists the same stuff that's been in since forever. I remember reading the same thing when I was a teenager.

But that's my own personal opinion.

Final thoughts on the matter: People, don't be a victem to other's whims. Use your brain. Observe objectively, research, connect the dots and think about things. There was nothing in this guys' stuff that I have not heard a hundred times before. The only difference is that he did a good job of tying stuff together. I think the real clincher for me was the recreating of the Russian badguy nuking half the world.

He's obvioulsy upset at the state of the world. And I actually commend him for taking a more interesting and entertaining way of raising social conscienceness than walking into an office building shooting inocent people.

But is he from the future? No. And you know it.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did anyone read this: http://www.spearweasel.com/rpg/twheel/darkfutr.htm

apparently his story is based off some RPG named GURPS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks oregano, i was starting to question my place in the world as a non-timetraveller.

Thanks for putting me straight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at timetravel. All I ever do is travel forward.

And yes, saw this timetraveller AKA insane with too much sparetime posting some really stinky videos of himself travelin through time. showing off "the machine" really looking like an upside down potatopeeler with vacuumcleaner parts at random locations with LEDs promoting epileptic seizures. And the most stupid thing was that he had a laserpointer to detect the GRAVITY field. Boy does that poser need to read physics again. The laser was the only beam of light bending due to the gravity field, as if the gravity field was programmed to exclusively bending the laser, avoiding in mysterious ways to bend light. Hm, I wonder if he understands that gravity able to bend a laserbeam like that is kinda hard to miss the effects of. Effects like INSTANT death and severe changes in planetary rotation likely to lead to the moon making a big thump as we crash earth into it. And that... will mean.... that I....
    uhhh.... dont get to play UT2K4 anymore.

Waster

"I used to think that my brain was the most beautiful organ in my body... Then I realized who was telling me this."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dudes, that john titor guy IS hoax, people that ran the forums he posted made his stuff seem like predictions by changing the dates in which he actually posted plus everything he says is logical its not like he has presented any new ideas, it was obvious mad cow would happen, its obvious their could be a civil war at any time and its obvious the world could end anytime, hes not smart at all, hes just making obvious judgments that may or may not happen like me saying, within 10 years a nuke will hit the US, its really up in the air like this guys BS.

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dude was after our pizza rolls. Anybody ever see that movie with Van Damme and Dennis Rodman? ... Yeah.
    I heard a wild rumor that Van Damme signed on for a Street Fighter movie sequel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Waster
    I suck at timetravel. All I ever do is travel forward.
    This is an awesome statement! Heh. Waster, you make me laugh.

And yeah, it's obvious the guy is a hoax, but its still fun to think about all the possibilities and "what ifs". Kinda of like watching a horror film. You know its fake but its fun to believe for just a little while.

Min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minotaur: I really DESIRE to believe him, of course. Because then I would be able to track him down, steal his machine and go back in time to stop myself from quiting technical design and give myself the web-adress to this site. Oh, wait. I can still finish the education. eh, then I would go back in time to Eden and let that tree of Knowledge meet Mr Chainsaw. Then it would be only me and a whole lot of naked ladies FOR ALL ETERNiTY! (it sucks that I dont believe in both Titor and Eden.)

btw, Titor is essentialy like Chronicles of Zion(something like that) and zetatalk. They have consistent real information that is researched, and jam in little bits of big lies where the puzzle lets it fit. And it all can fool very sensible people with this approach. Tell the truth, they trust you, then tell the lie and they still trust you. TRUST NO ONE! Yep, you can all call me Captain Obvious. This is for shizzle!

Digression(?): (Omg i laughed when watching telewhizzled Cribs: This rapper was supposed to say: "I keep my vegetables in the refrigerator." Instead he said:"I stack mah fruits in dah chill." ROFL ! Go ebonics!

Waster

"I used to think that my brain was the most beautiful organ in my body... Then I realized who was telling me this."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old story. There was a thread on this in -- i don't know, August last year?

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow erik, your oldd schooool. WERD!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havent read any of the replies yet, but i did read all of titors stuff long ago. It was great enterntainment. One thing that tells me its a hoax (aside from the common sense) is one picture titor posted. It shows his instructor, in the future, holding a lazer pointer towards one of the singularities used in the time machine and the lazer ray bends due to massive gravity...

Now i am not a scientist, and passed physics with a C, but there are 2 problems with it that i cant explain:

1. Why does lazer light bend, and the surrounding light does not? You should be able to see all the light around the singularity deformed into something that resembles an inverted lenz shape.

2. Correct if i am wrong, but it takes a SHITLOAD of gravity to change trajectory of particles traveling with the speed of light. Sounds like these singularities should attract the surrounding matter with a much larger force if they can bend the light.... the kind of force that would instantly crush everything in the radius.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was in 3rd grade I traveled back in time so I could bring an extra pair of underwear to school, as I knew I would accidentally shit my pants while trying to impress a girl with a cartwheel at recess.

So yeah, it's possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am Kenneth Shearer. I come from ninety three seconds in the future. Things are quite bleak these days and you should be fore warned, do not go to the "Hot Asian Pleasures" website. While those petite asian woman might seem appealing now, they will soon cause bleakness and sureal displeasure to you and your left mid toe. I have come and warned you of your end, now I must return to my time and continue to fix what mess you have caused.

Love, your future time telling traveler Kenneth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What was that I said about people claiming to be from the furture being lunatics...?

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone else notice the huge resemblance of John Titor, to the character John Criton from the now dead yet still awesome show Farscape? I think this guy could of at least of gotten creative with his name. Well thats just me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what about that civil war thing in 2004 ??!?....I'm still waiting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When Bush will still be the President of USA after the Elect(where no one vote for him), you're going to have a civil war :p

Bush in fact will refuse to give his title because he "knew" that the USA "need" him, and the rest of the world. So, as in the Iraki situation, he will decide what to do without taking care of law, what people want or whatever.

HEY! It's easy to invent thing! (Of course I didn't come back from the future, but from the past :evilbat: )

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.