Thanks

Where to find commission work?

Not sure where to post this, so if I've made a mistake please just move the thread, thanks.

I've been looking to get into doing some commissions lately to fill in the gaps between projects. This is my first time doing commissions and I'm having trouble figuring out how to go about it. I just put up a commissions page on my blog a few minutes ago, but considering I haven't ever done commissions before I'm not sure that's gonna attract a lot of attention. I've been thinking of posting on DA since that's where a lot of my friends get their commission work, but I haven't really been very good about updating my DA site.

What specific/forums sites do you all frequent to look for commissions? I'm looking at fantasy/sci-fi work predominantly, but feel free to post any sites here that you think might be helpful to me and others as well.

Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Getting any kind of freelance commission work will only happen if people know you
    exist. Put yourself out there as much as possible, but also be aware of your
    client base. DA has about 5000000 artists willing to sell themselves so low that
    its actually a joke. Not only are the majority of the jobs there, hilarious in their
    pay scale, those offering the jobs have an easy time picking out a desperate
    naive kid with a smattering of talent, who has no real bills to pay and just needs cash
    to cover the Christopher Hart collection in his Amazon wish list.

At rpg.net you quite often get publishers looking for artists. However the RPG industry
    can be demanding in its workload and does not pay the best. It can be a foot in the door
    however the competition is very strong. (But I suppose that is no different than any
    other aspect of the industry)

I would also suggest trolling through drivethrurpg and checking out the publisher sites
    there (where available) a lot of them are always looking for cover and interior artists, but again, the pay is not great.
    Don't be afraid to coldcall publishers with your portfolio providing they are open to receiving artist submissions.
    Just make sure you pay careful attention to the guidlines. Make sure you read the read the fineprint. A
    lot of guys like 'White Wolf' have interesting submission guidelines which would be to your personal detriment not to
    follow/ be aware of.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    DA has about 5000000 artists willing to sell themselves so low that its actually a joke.
    Not to mention a LOT of getting commissions in DA (and other similar art galleries) tends to be about how well known you are so this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansumo View Post
    I've been thinking of posting on DA since that's where a lot of my friends get their commission work, but I haven't really been very good about updating my DA site.
    can be a real problem if you're planning on getting private-commissions from there, at least if you aren't already well known. And like said the user-base in DA is mostly tween and teens who generally don't have much interest or capability on putting much money into commissions (which again fuels the "artists underselling themselves" problem).
    If your friends are more active in there, then asking them to do a little boost journal for you can help but I wouldn't count on it.

Getting even a somewhat solid commissioner base can actually take quite a bit of work in places like that, though there's also things like LJ-communitities where you can advertize your commissions.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I posted on DA yesterday and within seconds I got a bunch of faves, but no real commission bites.

I actually do frequent sites like rpg.net and indie gamer.com, which is where I get most of my client work. I've found that in those sites specifically its always good to have a portfolio thread for clients to look over. Ie been trying to replicate that while looking for commision work but sites like enworld.com don't seem to have a proper place for that, and I'm wary of just posting my portfolio in the middle of their lounge threads, feels a bit douchey.

It's been a while since I've cold called publishers, maybe I'll give that a shot as well. About a year ago I spent quite a few days listing down publishers with an open door policy for submissions so that'll be handy.