C.O.W. #259, red pelted mile strider. VOTING!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite red pelted mile strider:

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • coool_brain

3 5.66%
  • Garkudion

4 7.55%
  • scorge

37 69.81%
  • elephant's stroke

5 9.43%
  • jon n

1 1.89%
  • Askew

3 5.66%
  • dumbnudge

0 0%
  • 1nderboy1

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Round #259 - Voting!

Topic: Red Pelted Mile Strider

Deadline for voting: March 23rd, 2012

Requirements this week...

- the creatures legs must be at least half a mile long each.

- it must have bright red coloring on its fur.

- the rest is up to you!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; May 16th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: coool_brain

Concept: Red Pelted Mile Strider
    These giant striders are considered as pets by the locals. They use their pelt for many of their goods from clothing to building tents for residence.

Name:  mile_strider_v01.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  62.0 KB

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coool Brain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Garkudion

Concept: Red Pelted Strider
    Immense beasts towering above the clouds. They are protected by a tough, chitinous shell dented with hundreds of years of wear. Though peaceful, these lumbersome creatures do not watch over which denizens they trample underfoot. It is said that the mountains hide the remains of Red Pelted Striders long forgotten.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garkudion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Red Pelt Giant
    The word "Enormous" only insults this majestic roamer, whose mass is deceptively lighter than its appearance. The Red Pelt's long arms and fused fingers allow her to travel while making the least impact on the earth, who these ancient creatures worship and respect with a deep admiration. Usually active between the hours of dusk or dawn, these gentle giants stir a sense of awe and wonder in all who happen to see them, before they disappear back into the earth's lower mantle where it is believed they come from.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: elephant's stroke

Concept: Futus

Futus likes, every 19 of december of every year, go for a walk and destroy some cities. He loves to pick air planes while they are flying, and he eats some passangers, but gently release the others. He don´t do any of this to hurt the humankind, is just that for him is just funny and see it as a game. He eats people as you and me eat some candy...without a sense of doing something wrong.
    So yeah, a good guy, but if you see it, you better get out of his way.

Last edited by elephant´s stroke; May 15th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    "Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: jon n

Concept: Red Pelted Mile Strider
    Habitat: Farmland of the Feathergrass Plains.
    Diet: Passing flocks of birds, swarms of insects, weather etc.
    Extract from a farming journal concerning the Red Pelted Mile Strider: 'those things are a pain in the arse.'

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Askew

Concept: Greater Sailback
    The Greater Sailback is a giant, omnivorous creature that makes use of its slender, stilt-like limbs to traverse far and wide in search of food. It's namesake sail is used for thermal regulation, a much needed addition for so large, and relatively active a creature. The foremost foot's middle toe sports an impressive talon, notably used to pin prey so that the animal may stoop down and with it's prehensile barbels maneuver the prey item towards it's large mouth. Despite being so large the Greater Red Sailback is a relatively mellow creature, keeping to itself and large open plains where it can roam about with the most ease. However, there have been a few cases of them terrorizing densely inhabited cities, especially those with highrises. Such incidences have been compared to an anteater going to town on a favorite termite mound...

*(The "Lesser Sailback" is a humbler creature, about the size of a two story house, and a rather common transport animal. How such an extreme size difference came to be between the two is an evolutionary mystery.)

Name:  COW#259 copy.png
Views: 1244
Size:  586.6 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Askew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile First contest entry

Artist: dumbnudge

Concept: Whale of the Clouds

The Cetacea nubila, also called "the whales of the clouds", are peaceful, gigantic animals that inhabit the northern parts of the Alps. They stalk through the landscape and catch flies and other insects with their wide, baleen-equipped mouth.
    These gracious animals have lately become very rare and are hardly ever seen by people, which lead to the belief that they are either extinct or a mere fairytale. Children however frequently report watching great shadows passing by their homes at night, and seeing a big, white grin shining through their bedroom window.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: 1derboy1

Concept: Red Hided Stride Stryder

Red Hided Stride Stryders can always be found raveling in strydarts of at least 4 members. In general they pose almost no threat to human kind as they are primarily vegetarian creatures, however there is one moment in which they can cause danger to humans. If a human stands completely still in the middle of an open field the Stryder will slowly approach. Upon arriving it will stretch down to the ground and use it's tongue to try to remove the foilage from the human. The foilage being the hair, clothes, . .body. The Stryder is a gentle prober, so if the person moves at all after the initial probe of the tongue the Stryder will move on. However if the human just continues to stand there, the Stryder will grasp the human with its mouth protuberances and pull the human into it's mouth and proceed to slowly ground the human into a pulp with it's molar like teeth.

One othery very interesting feature of the Stryder is that it's red pelt contains many plants that have grown from seeds and is often a forest all of it's own. The types of trees and plants most often are those that can be found above 5000 feet in altitude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @cool brain, I like a lot the early morning (i guess) atmosphere and the peacefull relation between this creatures and the people, it feels like a very posible scenario. The only thing about it is that the creature design is not unique, next time you can try to get out of your confort zone a little more and do somethng more risky and original.
    @Garkudion, nice, but is all depicted in a very similar value range, next time try to separate more the character from the bg...more in big scales like this in wich atmosphere blocks the distant details, colors and values.
    @scorge, magic.
    @jon n, i always dig your entries, maybe sometimes i don´t vote you because i prefer others, but please, never lose that freshness in your drawings.
    @Askew, very nice creature, in terms of representation, is looking a little flat imo, try to push more the value range to depict form.
    @dumbnudge, very cool, though the sense of scale is not obvious at a glance imo.
    @1derboy1, weird but cool creature, but is looking somewhat flat, you can push a lot more the shadows and highlights to give a more realistic sense of form.

"Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So just a couple questions for everyone.

1. How long do you guys spend on these?
    2. Are any of you professionals?
    3. If you aren't a professional, then what is your day job. I'm a web developer.
    4. Are there any specific quick digital painting tutorials that you guys recommend? Or good threads to follow to learn more?

I love participating in these and love the feedback. Once I've got more under my belt I'll feel more comfortable giving you guys some constructive criticism back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elephant's stroke: Thanks for the constructive criticism, I definitely need to work on amping up the depth of my work (amongst other things xD)

I won't be offering critics because.. well I don't feel knowledgeable enough to do so, and I feel elephant's stroke has pointed out most of the obvious so far.

1derboy1:
    1) I spent more time than I'd like to (considering the outcome) on this week's challenge. Mostly because I did the image about.. 4 times. On my final however, Probably a day or two, or 3-4 hr sessions.
    3) Heh.. I'm a cashier I had a tattoo apprenticeship and then.. quit while the quitting was good. Long story so I'll leave it at that. Currently however, I'm trying to work on my skills so that I can get into an art profession (fingers crossed).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Askew and 1derboy1, everyone should feel free to give his opinion, no need to be a master of the world to give just an honest opinion, and can definetly help others to realize about aspects worth to improve, personally i'd like to hear your opinions (from everyone really).

Web
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i shall have a bash at this crit business. please don't be offended if i put summat daft.

coool brain- i like the concept of locals harvesting the pelts and your image reflects this well with the creatures grazing and the locals looking on.
    i like the raw expressive brush marks you've used. i think the figures could be a lil bit more defined. your pic has a quiet serenity to it that i like.

garkudion- cool concept and interesting creature design. a few little details in the scenery might have pushed the sense of scale a bit more. the armour
    is very well done.

scorge- awesome pic! reminds me of a john harris painting, not just because of the scale but the atmos too. loves it.

elephant's stroke- Futus gives me the willies mate! you really pushed the theme developing in your wip to nightmare levels! from what i've seen you have a very distinctive style, instantly recognisable. you've got some serious hair painting skills too! great work.

jon n- try harder.

askew- very inventive creature. i like the four front legs- it's weird. darker shading may have strengthened it's form. nice work.

dumbnudge- this thing has a sinister quality, the hollow eye sockets are really cool. nice perspective too.

1derboy1- i like the colours you've chosen and the speckeled effect reversing on orange and yellow. i like the slinky creature design. if the colours we're
    brighter in the foreground and faded into the back it may have had a greater sense of depth.

appologies again if i've caused offense. the constructive critisism that i've recieved on these challenges has been really helpful and i wana make a
    contrabution in the same way.

1derboy1- don't really know how long mine took, i work in a frantic little whirlwind so it would have taken maybe an hour-ish, not sure. i make some money from my art but i work part-time as a postman to keep myself going. i'm always looking for a big project to sink my teeth into and make me outrageously rich. although i'm getting used to having no money.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant´s stroke View Post
    @cool brain, I like a lot the early morning (i guess) atmosphere and the peacefull relation between this creatures and the people, it feels like a very posible scenario. The only thing about it is that the creature design is not unique, next time you can try to get out of your confort zone a little more and do somethng more risky and original.
    I didn't really think about the time of the day, whether early morning or not, but I needed to put some fog since these creatures are of that scale. Regarding the creatures design, yeah. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jon n View Post
    coool brain- i like the concept of locals harvesting the pelts and your image reflects this well with the creatures grazing and the locals looking on.
    i like the raw expressive brush marks you've used. i think the figures could be a lil bit more defined. your pic has a quiet serenity to it that i like.
    I understand the expressive brush strokes, but I usually mess up when I try to clean up things I have to work on that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1derboy1 View Post
    So just a couple questions for everyone.

1. How long do you guys spend on these?
    2. Are any of you professionals?
    3. If you aren't a professional, then what is your day job. I'm a web developer.
    4. Are there any specific quick digital painting tutorials that you guys recommend? Or good threads to follow to learn more?

I love participating in these and love the feedback. Once I've got more under my belt I'll feel more comfortable giving you guys some constructive criticism back.
    1. We are supposed to spend atleast 1/2 hr a day for a week or two according to the deadline. That's how I do it most of the times, but this times its just 20-30 min. for the whole thing. I saw the topic on 14th and posted that day itself. That's why the creature design is lousy and no details too. Usually I finish a picture to this stage in 1/2 to 1 hr and spend rest of the time on details.
    2. Nope. I am not a professional at all.
    3. I do visual effects for movie projects from south India, NOT International.
    4. A lot of tutorials out there depending on your present level and the subject you want to improve. I recommend you to follow FZD from youtube. Its mostly concept art/concept design related. Just for the completeness let me tell you that there are things before concept art/concept design. For example basics like perspective, anatomy, rendering materials etc. So, ask for help on the forums here. There are lot of people ready to help and don't give up. Soon you will be there. Good Luck.

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool, very unique entries, everyone!
    I'm not really fit for giving critique, but I especially liked the simplicity of cool_brain's style and his use of texture brushes. And Askew, your clouds are really cool!
    This was a lot of fun! I hope I'll start earlier next time, though

@elephant's stroke: Thank you! You're totally right, I didn't notice that by painting, I could've spend way more time on the landscape, but my time was up.
    @1derboy1:
    1. about 4 hours (I'm slow). I just found out about this competition thing on wednesday, so I only had an evening to paint it (GMT +1).
    2. Professional, ha! (No.)
    3. I'm a student (12th grade)
    4. I'm new here, but it seems impossible not to stumble across algenpfleger's thread. Oh, and take a look at Ctrl+Paint!
    @jon n: Thank you!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dumbnudge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont realy have time to give propper crits so sorry if im repeating what others have said.
    scorge . As much as I like your critter will say that the diea that it walks on these stillt things so that "travel while making the least impact on the earth". Even if as you say it is lighter than it seems (please give a reason why, hollow bones, hydrogen sacs etc.) those still would still leave huge holes in the ground due to the small serface area. Perhape large feet that leave marks that arn't easily recognisable as footprints? Big feet would cause less of a mark on the ground.

coool_brain Egnoring the rushed painting you concept is just a giant Terror Bird.

1derboy1 A much more abllenced concpet than your last one, keeep it up.

Sorry for not giving everyone a crit but I ont have time today, I'll try and contrabute mroe to the next one.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @elephant's stroke Hey! That's awfully nice of you to crit my work, every bit makes me feel like I can progress a bit further. It's much appreciated, I'll try more contrast on the next one!

@1derboy1 It took about 6 hours. Maybe I'll spend more time on the next one?

@jon n It does feel a bit small, doesn't it? I'll get you next time Gadget!!

It blows my mind that someone actually voted for me. This is my first entry and I'm like wow. What an amazing feeling, it makes me want to try harder. +2 motivation

Members who have read this thread: 2