Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

C.O.W. #259, red pelted mile strider. WIPs

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.concepyart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #259, red pelted mile strider

topic:

ROUND#259, red pelted mile strider

this week we'll be creating a creature with legs so immense that when it makes one stride (or step) that covers a miles worth of travel. you can make its body large, or you can make its body very small. but its legs must be at least half a mile long each. as a bonus, it must have a bright red pelt (or have bright red fur).

show us this odd creature with the extremely long stride!

Requirements this week...

- the creatures legs must be at least half a mile long each.

- it must have bright red coloring on its fur.

- the rest is up to you!

Deadline:

may 16th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

FINALS GO HERE!... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post3454325

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, here is something close to the image that crossed my mind while reading the brief...so big of a dude that don't even fit in the frame

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For metric measures
    1 mile is 1.609344 kilometres

That's like around 15 minutes of walking for those of you who don't know measurements that well

Edit:
    Very quick sketches
    C.O.W. #259, red pelted mile strider. WIPs
    Colored thumbnails. I'm more drawn to 1 and 2, but still considering A and B.. More A than B.
    I do want to have some sort of marking in the fur. I didn't intend 1 to be tiger-stipes. They're just stripes, in case anyone wondered.

Last edited by Lady Medusa; May 10th, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: I made a sketch of my creature consept

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like those designs, maybe you can try to change the versions a little more to see what happens.

Thanks
    I read this and suddenly had a couple ideas. I might explore the possibilities more before going with one, so these 6 ideas are probably not the only one's I'll come up with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shmaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my perlim sketch idea. Going for the cheetah type long legged predator that is inspired by a long legged wolf-like creature that appears in my dreams sometimes. =)

Thanks
    so I realized that when I do concept stuff I do simple poses so I wanted to try some action perspective... Its a decent start I think
    also coloration since I started painting the other one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoowolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Shmaba - your thumbs are amazing.

Okay, let's give this one a shot.
    My attempt at some thumbnails:
    Name:  CoW-259---thumbs.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  42.2 KB

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    here's mine so far. bounding furiously over open farmland.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Teterria, also known as a red pelted mile strider, is a giant scavenger beast that spends it's days searching for food on small islands. The Teterria are a species and are very rare. They are primarily harmless to humans and feed on mostly washed up sea carrion and seaweed. With each step this beast can easily cover a half mile of land, and when it fully extends it's accordion like legs, it can stretch to step over a mile.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 438 Posts
    Hi folks, what a great topic huh? Figured I owe you guys some crits since I never followed through when I said I was gonna do it last time: Warning, these might be blunt.

elephant's stroke: I dig your abstract style! Two things, the right arm and leg (to his right not ours) seems to be experiencing a serious tangent. #2 And I know this goes against your comment, but even though he is that big, his pose makes him seem as if he's affected by the cropping of the frame. It's a little awkward. Don't forget to give him some volumes in the midsection as well.

Lady Medusa: Very nice sketches, I appreciate the silhouette technique with the dashes of red. Now all you have to do is break away from the stereotypical designs if you can. For instance, the first critter (centipede looking guy), you've gotta figure that if one of his legs is half a mile long, he's got to be covering more like 14 miles instead of one, and the bird looking fellow, he looks like an average peacock. If I may suggest, especially since you're dealing with silhouettes, try making those silhouettes as unique as possible. Add some things that take these guys in a whole new direction while maintaining the base creature.

Voodoowolf: Good job on the dynamic change. Now the trick is to find some reference of some animal here on earth doing roughly the same kind of pose and really getting to know how this guys anatomy works without copying the reference exactly. Your initial profile sketch has a lot going for it, study it carefully to get a good handle on how this guy goes together. Then use perspective and light construction to build up his form.

IntoTheVoid: Sweet thumbs yourself. Not much to add atm.

jon n: Man, it's been a real pleasure seeing your unique stylized renditions of these topics which some of us can take way too seriously sometimes (myself included). You obviously know how to draw. My biggest crit would be that I can't help but notice that all of your creatures that I've seen in here so far have the same kind of expression and facial properties.

Lege: Hey Nick, you must be the only guy that's still around and been doing this almost as long as I have. Good for you dude. Did a quick paint over for you old buddy. Really need to recognize the areas of contrast and focus in on the focal points. Make use of local colors and depth of field to really put this guy into his element. I mainly focused on moving the leg, a lot of the face and pushing and pulling some areas. You have to try not to detail the heck out of everything and realize that some areas will be in shadow. Your treatment of the light is very specific to each individual element of the anatomy when in fact you should be focusing on the big picture. Anyway, you know I love you man. I tell you these things for your own good. Don't hate me.

So, after all my blathering, here's mine. I've really been practicing getting my brush to do some fleshy type things. Surprisingly quick turnaround, about 2 & 1/2 hours so far. Still working on the legs....Feel free to rip me a new one you guys if you are so inclined. I always appreciate the criticism.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just a rough silhouette to get things started. I'm diggin' the idea of face tentacles/prehensile barbels and a slight sailback. Name:  COW#259.png
Views: 777
Size:  54.6 KB

Thanks
    Scorge: Thank you much man and know that I greatly appreciate the critique. I haven't done one of these in awhile so I am trying to get the rust off and get back to the routine. I experimented with things we have discussed and am finding a happy place in rendering. The contrast issue is something I have been having trouble with with quite some time in my art in general. I also neglected to put in some of the reflected light from the sky which I noticed you added in and makes all the difference in the world. Thank you so much for the paint over and know it helps much, I hope it helps others as well. Thanks again Scorge =)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.