Art: Token's Portfolio (feedback)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Token's Portfolio (feedback)

Hi, my name is Barry and I am a self taught artist out of Texas. Will be attending TAD's full time program this fall. Its been a year since I have started taking art seriously and would like feedback and crits on where I am now and where I need to improve so please be a brutal as you like.

I would love to get into concept art and illustration work as well. i have no work that really exhibits concept art but with TADs help I hope to change that. Also just looking to improve all around ( composition, anatomy, story telling, environments, etc.)

Here is a link to my blog: http://barrybrownjr.wordpress.com/

Also here are a few of my recent studies, sketches, etc.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad, you can become really good in TAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's going on with Captain America?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by _Token_ View Post
    What do you mean?
    i think its about his face, he looks... suspicious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Token,

Cap's face is lopsided. If you compare the relative heights of various facial features right to left you will see what I mean. The corners of the jaw are the most obvious discrepancies.

It's kind of looking cubist at the moment with a straight on perspective around the mouth and a three quarter view above the eyeline. It gives the affect that his forehead is pointing in a different direction to his nose, like the top of his skull has been twisted. You need to pick a perspective and make sure that each part of the head matches that perspective.

The good news is that this stuff is easily rectifiable by drawing from life. This gives you the solid basis of facial anatomy knowledge that lets you draw convincingly from imagination. More figure studies, more face studies.

The environment pieces need more detail. At present they are too indistinct to really say anything. I like the lighting and colour, but there's nothing there to draw me in and make me look around.

Keep going

Cheers

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great eye you guys and thanks for the crit!! I have notice long ago that when I draw faces it is very skewed at times. A lot of the times the face is elongated or pulled to one direction. But I am sketching on a daily basis trying to fix that problem. Not only am I drawing from like but I am also taking it upon my self to learn Reilly's method of face construction. Its helping a great deal! Thanks for the comments and crits you guys.

Here is something else i'm working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'ts something you can easily spot in digital like in life drawing, you just need to use mirror. Flipping the image horizontally will force your brain to recalculate the image as if it is new instead of something you're used to. When you're drawing from life it's useful to have a small mirror panel to put to the side of your drawing and check it flipped. Keep in mind that it's not something you can get rid of just by practicing, proportions can become relative to the image in our brain so is always a good thing to have the habit to check them.

About your last image: all those blacks makes it very flat, there's no value separation at all. The perspective is wrong cause if the orizon is so low and the airplane is so much tilted up you will see at least an half of his shadow you've painted (i'm judging by a fast look, it could be imperfect), maybe even less. As a tip you can duplicate the airplane in distance to create a sense of scale. (There are a lot more perspective issues btw)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit Hitsu. I agree the black does make it look flat. A lot of the stuff that is black like the bridge or wires were just something I threw in because I no ideas lol which is no excuse. I will be the first to tell you that there MANY perspective issues but this was more of an experiment with the ship then anything.

I recently read an article in Imagine FX from the artist Joon Ahn on creating stronger vehicle concepts. I flipped threw it quickly (not getting the full understanding) and just went straight to drawing a ship and learning to render it but there are a lot of lessons I missed. One being the importance of perspective. This was my first actual vehicle I have painted. Ill be reading the article over again though.

Anyway thanks A TON for the crits. You have no idea how much I appreciated it! Now back to the sketchbook I go for A LOT of practice! Hopefully I can push my next image further.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.