Help with lighting and shadow

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Help with lighting and shadow

Hey guys, looking for some feedback on this piece in regards to lighting and especially shadow, which is something I feel I lack in. I seem to find colouring shadow quite difficult. I am colourblind but I don't see this as an excuse, just that I don't think I completely understand why the shadows look off.

I also note that my perspective and door sizes are out a bit. This pic was done quite quickly so I'll be sure to slow down and concentrate on getting them more accurate next time.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

One other thing.... can anyone explain how to get my thread to have a thumbnail image? Cheers!

Help with lighting and shadow

"I do not believe making money in order to consume goods is mankind's sole purpose on this planet. If you're wondering what I believe our purpose on this planet is, I'll give you a hint… it has to do with creating and sharing." - Bill Hicks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221049
    What is going on in this image? What is that yellow stuff that's dripping from the storm?
    It would do you good to use some reference to the tornado and overall lighting that's going on during those:

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Tinybird, appreciate your response. The yellow stuff is just meant to be sunlight. I'm new to art and just really added it for some extra colour. I'm not aiming for realism, just a bright and hopefully eye catching piece. My tornado does look a bit off. I used a random Google image for reference but it felt very flat and boring so I improvised a little. I will look at adjusting it to look more real.

"I do not believe making money in order to consume goods is mankind's sole purpose on this planet. If you're wondering what I believe our purpose on this planet is, I'll give you a hint… it has to do with creating and sharing." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Even the surface of the sun isn't that bright! Tornadoes are extremely dark and moody usually...cameras, and especially video cams tend to adjust for the dark mass of the storm and sky and so completely blow out any sky or light areas that may be open. Just something to keep in mind.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSandblast View Post
    I'm new to art and just really added it for some extra colour. I'm not aiming for realism, just a bright and hopefully eye catching piece.
    Which is partly why you should try to stick to realism and reference at the start. Because when you start doing and adding stuff that you don't understand how it works or have the skills to properly convey it really easily ruins the piece. If you want to have light shining through the storm, (as unlikely it in real life would be) then actually look what light coming through clouds looks like, how they both behave. I'm going to be frank here and just admit that at first glance I thought the clouds were dripping piss.
    Name:  ray_of_light_470x286.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  14.7 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I just took a piss and studied it, my cloud lighting doesn't look anything like dripping piss lol.... however, it did suddenly occur to me that I have a problem with analysing things properly and believe I need to sit down and work on painting what exists and not just making it up. Thanks for the help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.