Sketchbook: Fighting to improve, critique very welcome. - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Awwghh my anatomy studies consumed my soul, totally forgot about the environment workup. Must do tomorrow! (kind of afraid to go back to it haha).

Today, anatomy anatomy anatomy. These took forever to do, slowly getting a hang of the features and their placement.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Daily sketch dump.

I got myself a study partner over at crimson daggers! SO invaluable. Keeps the motivation up knowing that you are studying with someone else. Dont think ive ever had such a productive day, and its all been fun!
    Januz: updated environment The big tree now makes even less sense haha

So! Self portrait, environment update, gestures, loomis studies and a "speedpaint" environment (Think Ive spent some 2-3 hours on it, way too long)

Thanks
    Todays studies. proportions, hands and a few flowers with pencil.

Thanks
    That pyramid in the middle of the forest reminds me of Commander Keen 4 ( http://cc314.shikadi.net/oldcc314/pics/map-k4-l.gif ) . It's not a bad idea, although it feels that the painting has too many story-telling things in it. The car, the houses by the river, the pyramid, the fishing nets… Also, the bubble shouldn't really be a full circle since it's going around and into the underground, half of it would not be visible.
    Nice to see you're also hitting anatomy hard. And those flowers look really good!

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Haha, I had no idea! I actually played Commander Keen 4, but its been sooo long.
    Thanks for the crit Januz - I realize the car does not make any sense, I actually added it because... well, I could haha
    I see what you mean with the bubble, didnt think it through
    Doing this environment has really taught me that I need to pay attention to what and why i add stuff, along with my choice of lighting (both of which was random for this env).

Few studies of my left hand (I actually go for high DPI so I can zoom in and draw each one on the entire screen in PS, 300 DPI, 3800 x 3000 px)
    Rest of the day was spent having fun with a cave monster painting. I have no idea how to colour it. If I was to spend more time on it I would work on his hands and the water on the right side. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Update time!
    A few hand studies from yesterday along with a 6 hr form/value/anatomy study done today.

Thanks
    Update before bed. Applied studies to some piratey gestures + some perspective practice.
    Good fun, studying for the knowledge to take it further (will give it a shot when I have time).

Thanks
    Simple proportion/fast sketching method studies from loomis. Turns out they are not so fast when you dont know what kind of forms you are aiming for, must study more loomis!

Only had 2½-3 hours today. Dont feel I have a lot to show for that time spent but oh well.

Thanks
    quick update, work from this week so far

Thanks
    Nice update, the anatomy is really holding together. The feet look a little small in the last image, and the legs a bit too close together in the 3/4 view.
    Keep 'em coming

Thanks
    Thanks Januz! I see what you are saying about the feet, they are a bit out of scale

Update, last weeks work and the few drawings I did today (long day, workout killed my arms, I just want to sleep lol)

The first one is just a sketch ive been fooling around with. I really dont like his arms, so I moved on to arm anatomy studies.

Thanks
    Phew! So what happened?
    I spent a ton of time on a single piece and in the meanwhile I had some issues loading images on this site, so I gave up posting for a while.
    Now... Sketchdump!

First one is progress on a painting I did for my sister. All crit very welcome, although I do know its slightly stylized, the reason is that its supposed to look more like a toy and less like an actual dog/bear

Last painting started as figures from imagination, ended up as space dinosaurs, and I just HAD to kill them before bed... The flag I cant explain, except this dinosaur now belongs to Denmark! Oh and I had a wonderful time just doodling away at this one haha. Should probably study dinosaur skin... and stop building on this wall of text.

Back to posting daily, I hope!

Thanks
    Love how it starts cute and ends with astronauts riding dinosaurs around active volcanos
    Nice studies too

Thanks
    Haha thanks Januz :-) Yeah not sure how that happened, astronauts are awesome!

On the road update

Lots of images missing, but unable to upload because of size, and have no software to fix size, will post once I return home.

These are done in an A5 sized sketchbook with a very wide graphite pen (7 mm diameter I think?), fun times Trying to do more studies from life, and its great fun!

Thanks
    Attachment 1599771Wooo-hooo! CA.org is alliiiiive again!

Wonderful, although it did take a while
    Quick update before weekend mode! (hopefully with a bit of life drawing though, wont be uploading again till monday)

So yeah! Today and yesterday Ive been working on a little project from imagination, or sort of! found a cool scenery and tried to memorize it, went home and painted it as i recalled it.

Thanks
    update!

Gestures gestures gestures, and getting back to cloth studies, and thats a good thing, because they are kicking my ass!
    Also gave alchemy a shot, great program, although I havent had any luck locating the undo button.

Thanks
    a few anatomy studies, torsos!

approx 5 hours total I think. Bridgeman + reference photos.
    Next up more construction studies I think.

Thanks
    Quick update before leaving for the week.
    Few poses from imagination, will try to do more studies on paper during the weekend.

Thanks
    quick update before bed, basically its 1 color head from imagination, then studies in pencil and then back to fixing the head from imagination.
    Unfortunately I didnt have much time so the coloured head is a bit rushed. Will redo tomorrow!

Thanks
    update!
    Did some more work on the face from yesterday, I still dont know how to do these without references, so Ill be doing more heads soon. (Yes that head sucks :/ blaaah embarrassed to post that shit, but hey at some point I can look back at this and laugh, I hope).
    Had a chance to fool around with water colour today, second time painting traditionally, great fun but takes sooo long for the water/paint to dry, ended up starting two environment studies. One from reference (photo from a travelling magazine) and one from imagination. Oh and a 3rd one from all the colour testing haha.

But its such a different thing! Will definitely get back to water colours again.

Anyway! Less text more sketches!

Last edited by AndreM; October 23rd, 2012 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry for spam! quick update of silly portrait from imagination! (Yes its bugging me haha!)
    Ill stop working on it now and go back to studies, its just that I can see sooo many things that I want to fix but dont know how.

Edit: Couldnt sleep, this face kept haunting me! Retrying, proportions were WAY off, which explains the smell of fail.
    Still dont like it, but its looking at least half decent compared to the previous take. Will have to go back to doing portraits, this must be fixed so I can sleep properly. Dont like the cartoony feel to it either, bah one of those days

Last edited by AndreM; October 16th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
    This is great work your doing, so much..., btw, thanks for the crit on the cubes!

As for your work, might a recommend you spend more time on getting the initial sketch of your faces as accurate and proportioned as possible before painting it? I know it can be tedious but I have found it really pays off, even if you don't do so hot rendering, the face will still look better.
    Btw, love your apple study, 30 minutes? Damn your pretty fast, takes me forever to do fruit.

Yeah, keep pushing

Xilliam Karinen Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thaaanks man!
    I tried spending way more time on the fundamentals on this one. Approx 5 hours greyscale and 2 hours colouring.
    PHEW! But it was great fun, inspired by eZTarg8 from the crimson daggers (He has some awesome spacemarines!)

Did a bunch of gesture sketches while at an amusement park this weekend, first time Ive had the guts to sketch people out in the open, felt aaawesome! (and some of the sketches turned out ok I think, will post tomororw!)

Thanks
    Raaarh update! Spent another 2½ hours on this one, rendering out the top part of her. Now I need a break from this spacey medic before my brain explodes.

I've put them side by side to see what 2½ hours of work looks like. Gahah, I need to paint way more.

Also, her right (left side on picture) forearm is way too long. Must remember to flip the canvas more often Im sure that would have caught that one.

Last edited by AndreM; October 23rd, 2012 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks
    Value study kicking my ass

Thanks
    Wow, your watercolors look really cool! The values study doesn't look so bad. Maybe the shadow beneath the piggie is not dark enough, there seems to be a strong directional light coming from the top.
    If you're still having trouble with heads, you should check out Proko's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

Thanks
    Thanks Januz, yeah heads still cause a headache for me I will definitely give those videos a go tomorrow!

About the pig yeah I see what you are saying, must fix that Actually I had to stop because of time limits, I was going to go riiight back to that pig today and work on the greyscale study... But the damn space medic took away all my time!

Another update - Another 5-6 hours spent I believe. Still want to get back to her and fix a ton of things - Her shoulder, back, left boob and right foot for example ! - And when I have the skills for it, her face. She looks so indifferent, if I had that tablet of hers Id be staring at that!

Thanks
    Yet another update of the medic.
    Progress shot & "final".

Final because Ive spent around 2-3 hours on the face rework, and its just not making sense. Must study faces!

Im sure Ill return to this one as I really like the character - Reminds me of an old online game called anarchy online.

Edit: Added value study for tonight. Lightsource broke, so changed lighting on mr. plastic piggy. Also added background books, lots of fun with those!

Last edited by AndreM; October 25th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    raaarh update!

Been away from the comp for a few weeks, so much pencil stuff I should scan and post - but its just crazy amounts of work, I'll get around it some day!

Thanks
    your studies are great, but your creative work isnt as strong. I suggest using more reference instead and less of your own imagination.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2