Spartan Camp #223 - 50 gestures + Optional "Figure Blocks Study"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 655 Posts

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 13th of May.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Figure Blocks Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background:
    When drawing a figure, you are translating a 3d form onto a 2d surface. This can be tough especially in foreshortened poses. A popular exercise is identifying the shapes in the body as building blocks. This allows you to deduct how a form should look under any angle and can help you tackle tough poses.

The exercise:
    You can either use a referenced image or construct one on your own. Use large shapes such as cubes and rectangles to define the large forms and "build" the figure. A single study is fine. Try to find shapes that make sense proportionally and functionally. I have added some examples below!

Exemplary references:
    Example 1, by Burne Hogarth
    Example 2, by H Edward Brooks.
    Example 3, Somewhat more elaborate, by Michael Hampton.
    Example 4, by Luca Cambiaso
    Example 5, by Albrecht Durer

Next weeks optional:
    Long Foreshortened Figure Study. This can be seen as a follow-up from this weeks optional study, as successful foreshortening requires you to envision the figure's form in 3d.

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #222

a la bapsi
    AdrianNagorski
    shiNIN
    Little-Maiden
    MartinC
    eclip-se

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gestures Gestures Gestures. Can these be called that? They range from 3-5 mins to 10 mins. I guess its based on perspective. I've read a few books that consider 1 hour poses to be gestures.

Nonetheless I feel i'm getting better at doing clothing gestures. Faster at the very least. No word on the quality though. Most of the errors i notice are leanings, or feet placements.

As usual marked = imagined.

Attached Images Attached Images    

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    missed out on last weeks balance study so sort of tried to incorporate it in this
    session.

LM: your imaginary ones are very good. liking the shading
    noticed some of the fore arms seem squashed?

Last edited by AdrianNagorski; May 9th, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    aight, finally got did some digital kids again. and as thats a lot easier to post then scan pages: here they are :p
    Name:  rnrr.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  70.1 KB

little maiden- imaginary are a LOt less stiff this time around. well done. I do notice some have slightly short arms/small hands.
    also, even when standing straight you can use a little change of direction. I love the shading on these btw.

@adrian- sometimes I cannot get over how much your drawings are improving! I guess that's what sticking to it get you.
    I think the block studies could help you even more, by doing what you do, an original, then a block study.
    but then at the end, draw the finished piece again from the start, using the block study as an underlay.
    then try and use some of the those straight perspective lines; that way lines will be straight in the right perspective which should help a lot with reading the drawing.

well, lets hope it doesnt rain tonight. then I can finally go to the model drawing class again!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ashess: thank you for the kind words, still got hundreds of miles still to go. i see you started to do them community activities, they are really time consuming, best of luck to you, notice how much you learn when you do them its like each
    subject requires some sort of research?!?!

Name:  lazy_i_am.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  167.3 KB

Thanks
    ashess your last post is looking good, the construction is helping

More boring 30 sec gestures should change it up a little bit

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just stumbled across website as a result of stumbling across Sinix on youtube

I've been looking for a website to really motivate me to get better with my drawing and start to surround my self with people with similar thinking and I think I've found it!

Anyways I saw this thread and though I might as well jump right in and get involved.

These are my first gesture drawings in about three-ish years, so constructive criticism is very much appreciated!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7oz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    7oz: welcome, the more the merrier, very nice gestures, i would however try to use
    less jitter lines, try using large forms like circles and blocks and then drawing in curves???
    thats what i do any ways. . . . . .

Thanks
    you know what, it kind of embarrasses me to admit this, but I never knew those things are called figure blocks!

Thanks
    Pretty aimless gestures but i did branch out a little had a little more fun.

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 655 Posts
    you know what, it kind of embarrasses me to admit this, but I never knew those things are called figure blocks!
    To be honest, I just wrote down what I believed to be most descriptive. The method is often used but I don't know if it has a name.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    hmmmmmm

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry for missing out on posting last week! Been doing some 60-90 seconds drawings, and some 8-10 min color studies. Posting some from last week and this.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamitaChatterjee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    here are my figure blocks

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work eclip-se.

Love the watercolor gestures SamitaChatterjee .

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Little-Maiden, I think the point of gesture drawing is that- getting hold of gestures, and ought not to be related to time spent on them. However, reducing the time I spend on each gestures at my end helped me to focus on the overall gesture of the body and not be hung up on less important details, something I have been a repeat offender in and I am told is a common amateur mistake. Quicker gesture drawings seems to help me with understanding balance, perspective, weights, bit of proportions of the body (vs full blown anatomy or figure drawings- although I feel the need to focus on that a bit in mine).

AdrianNagorski, glad to see some animals and birds in there! I'd been thinking of including some in my set too. Also, I notice you redraw poses to study them more? I wish I had the discipline to do this. I reckon it's a helpful habit to develop.

ashess, nice sketches of kids. I actually have been trying to draw more kids, need to for a current project, and realized how out of practice I am with drawing kids. Has been an overdrive of drawing a very set kind of male and female figures. Looking forward to your drawings from model drawing class!

MartinC, respect for how consistently you churn out those 30 second drawings. If I keep the timer any less than 60, I panic and spend more time worrying about how little time I have than actually drawing. [ridiculous habits]

7oz, welcome, and I hope you'll stay! This is my second stint at CA, last time I lasted only one post! I wish I had stuck to it, though. Second time round, I have learnt and absorbed truckloads despite still being somewhat new in terms of participation. Coming to your sketches, I see some really nice ones in there. Studying/drawing from Loomis and Bridgman books might help you, for one, if you havent started on them already. Especially the blocking technique that Anthis speaks of in the threadstarter. It's taking me a while to get my head around abstracting shapes into simpler form but it really helps to understand the subject so much better.

Azimuth, I love the flow in some of these.

eclip-se, I loved those little searching lines through the figures in search of form, flow and action lines.

-
    Sorry not much of constructive criticism, and more bull commentary. I have more to learn before I can be of any more help. = ) But as always, glad for your posts.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SamitaChatterjee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@SamitaChatterjee Indeed, but I think you can go beyond that. I've seen gestures that deal with anatomy/shading. Others are abstract and deal with distorting shape and form. I don't think its supposed to be a matter of time. Nonetheless I do agree that gestures are certainly not to focus on intricate detailing.

In regards to your images, I have to admire the water colours. Its a lovely tone you've used. really makes it all pop. Theres a noticeable lean to a few of the images but i'm facing similar issues. Though its good to keep that in mind when drawing as much as possible.

@MartinC 30 secs are good. Though I think i've said before that it doesn't exactly help to focus on the contours too much. I think you've got the flow and action right, but it might be beneficial to try and see the internal flow of the figure as well as the external ones.

@Ashess Yeah arms are still weird for me, I try to keep the proportions in mind but bending them and extending them still confuse me. Hehe, notice your kid growing up btw . He'll be 18 in a few more posts!

@Ec-lipse I see some good improvement in this post. Great job with the pencils.

@7oz Nice gestures, you should try and minimise the use of lines in your gestures, or at least attempt to do a few with a very minimal style and then move on to more complex shading. Sometimes shading gets in the way of whats meant to be studied. Other times its good for bonus points . Still, great to have you aboard. Welcome to SC.

@AdrianNagorski Yeah, they are, gonna try to keep that in mind in future drawings. Good set of gestures as usual, I think it would be better if you started off with the blue on all of them (like on a few of the gestures) and then did a cleaner overlay on top. Might help see more mistakes in a second pass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was *supposed* to be posted earlier, but laziness happened .

Still gestures, cube studies, perspective and other bits and ends.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; May 14th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful tips everyone, this thread is already proving to be extremely resourceful

Already found a copy of Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis that I am currently dissecting

Thanks
    Guys, thanks!

MartinC: Thanks bro, peace!

SamitaChatterjee: I love them too! maybe i'm stick with it too much (flow,action,rhytm are in and line is almost missing out), btw your color studies are so fluent, so simple and so live, big like! watercolors?

Little-Maiden: Thanks! i believe it's thanks to the line-meassure or block-in technique (It has many terms, dont know the corret one), I drew very little from life so i'm very far behind when it comes to drawing from life or from books where you are forced to meassure & line. I Really hate this technique, it will take me some time before i get comfromtable with it, but it's one of the keys :-) Btw love your studies as always, mainly the light&perspective, they'r so cool, should't be there accent on the plane where he's sitting down?

Sorry for mistakes in grammar.

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 4