Sketchbook: LYCHEE'S Amateurish Imaginarium of Art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LYCHEE'S Amateurish Imaginarium of Art

Hey Guys, I'm back!

I've left this thread for a while because I've been quite busy
    So here's a little update. I've been accepted into Utrecht School of Art and Technology, and I'm actually studying Game Art right now.
    I realise that there's a lot of competition and that if I want to make it in this industry, I got to work hard and practice a lot myself.

So I'm going to be posting here again to show you guys my work, and to ask for feedback and such.

ORIGINAL POST:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little introduction, I'm Lychee, born May 1993 (18 years old right now), and I've always drawn a lot as a hobby. I've decided I want to improve my skills and go to art school to learn to become a Game Artist. My skills are absolutely lacking right now, and I've always been very busy with high school, so I never practiced the immense amounts I've seen people here do. But after this years finals I'm definately going to (If I get into art school or not), and I'm going to post my progress here. I'd love constructive critisism, or any other tips so I can improve my work. Really, don't be nice, be honest and mean! None of this ->

Things I have to improve are ie;

Anatomy (Especially dynamic poses)
    Dynamic composition (Fight scenes, different angles)
    Digital art in general
    Landscapes, and other technical stuff (Like architechture)
    Colouring techniques
    And a lot more (Way too much!)

HERE ARE SOME OF MY WORKS (old, new, WIPs etc.) to get an idea of the level I'm on right now, and I'll upload my first sketches tomorrow.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lychees; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Update post
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your one sketch is great but i want to see more. But I like it :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xiw View Post
    I think your one sketch is great but i want to see more. But I like it :-)
    Thanks! I provided a link with some of my other works in the first post!
    (I only want attach new sketches and progress from this point on).

As I said in the OP, don't be nice, if something seems off or whatever, just say it. If my work is horrible and on a very low level you should tell me

EDIT: I added some very recent scribbles and practices of mine
    The first two are self portraits made with use of a mirror,
    the third was to see if I could draw some convincing humans without a reference. I messed up the man's legs though.
    After that, there are some character/monster designs, a pharaoh minoan style, two strange leprechauns and at last
    the sketches I made just yesterday. I tried to make my drawings more dynamic and looked into 'composing' on the web,
    I tried to make a lay out using the three values rule.
    The little sketch is the first of some thumbnails I'm going to do for a epic fight between a wizard and totem-monster. (Cliché, I know.)

Last edited by Lychees; May 8th, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, I just realised I have so much to learn I don't even know where to begin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I think your sketches are good but the 3th and 4th I dont like it becouse 3th is wooden and stiff and disproportionately. 4th is without emotions. But rest of your sketches are good and i Love 5th and 13, that ones have lots of life. If you want to make great char concept you should take sketchbook and pencil go to the park and make quick sketches of people. I like make quick sketches in train. Visit http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond and learn anatomy. I will be watching you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I think your sketches are good but the 3th and 4th I dont like it becouse 3th is wooden and stiff and disproportionately. 4th is without emotions. But rest of your sketches are good and i Love 5th and 13, that ones have lots of life. If you want to make great char concept you should take sketchbook and pencil go to the park and make quick sketches of people. I like make quick sketches in train. Visit http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond and learn anatomy. I will be watching you.
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the sketches were to try out my current anatomy skill.. It's pretty bad
    You gave me the idea of using the 4th char with the 5th in a dynamic scene

I used to do the 30-second drawing a lot. But I haven't been drawing a lot this year. I thought my skills were ok, but they are a damn disaster. I've actually gotten WORSE! My gesture drawings used to be very quick, fluid and minimalist but I just suck right now, I can't finish the drawings and they look shitty, I have a lot of trouble with it. From now on I'm going to do a 30-second drawing practice session everyday. (Before getting better I need to get to my old damn level again. This is frustrating)

Update: Some sketches I did today. 30 sec. drawings and some shitty thumbmails for my hero vs. monster drawing...

I'm going to upload some of my sketches later this evening

Last edited by Lychees; May 11th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update, more sketches.
    Studied anatomy a bit, and did my daily posemaniacs training.
    The daily 30-second drawing training is working really well (And it's a lot of fun actually).
    I tried some 10 second drawings too! I was panicking all the time but it's even better to practice gesture drawing. I think I'm getting better at this already.

I made some other thumbnails, I especially wonder what you guys think about these! (Be brutally honest). Which one should I pick, or am I doing it entirely wrong?

I'll update this tonight with new sketches. What is the best next step? Digital paining? Landscapes? I don't know where to begin, haha.

Last edited by Lychees; May 12th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to sketch every day. If not, then your hand forget how to do it. Your quick sketches are not bad, you can see the artistry in them and they are dynamic. Drawing is hard work but fun :-) I invite you to look at my sketchbook on http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...hlight=xiw%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p.s. I love your thumbnails

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p.s. I love your thumbnails
    Thanks a lot! I actually picked out the second one and made it a bit more detailed. Here it is;

What do you think? I changed it a bit from the thumbnail, and I actually really like it but there seems to be something wrong with the Heroine. Maybe her pose is off? It looks a bit stiff.

Aaaand did number four too:

EDIT:
    Attached: Some shit I did tonight Only posting two out of six pages of 30-sec drawings (As it's kind of the same.. everytime)
    Tried practicing anatomy, found an awesome anatomy book lying around the house.
    Also did a life drawing of my mom. (Because everyone is saying that life drawings are The Shit?)

Last edited by Lychees; May 12th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... yeah I was going to do a Digital speedpaint but my fucking Stylus is gone. These things are too expensive, can't afford a new one so I hope I'll find it soon I have to do some digital work. I did find my two other fineliners back so I guess I"m just gonna do some traditional stuff.. maybe work on my thumbnails tonight.

Also, just had my Dutch Language final today. Totally sucked. Wednesday's Maths. Oh god. Why.

So here's the little sketch from yesterday I tried to colour in with the mouse. Not a huge succes. I also discovered I suck at making nice colour schemes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some life studies on mu parents.. Somehow I.couldnt get my dads face right so i tried breaking it up in 3D structures, worked pretty well. Am I doing sonething wrong with life drawing? Should I try a special method/technique or just draw a lot?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about thumbnails, this second one is very great you should work on it. This image of a woman and muscles nearby, is great. And that girl with fish... wow You should buy a tablet and try to make something but you make great traditional art :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback, Xiw. I'm signing out, tomorrow is my Maths final so I'll check your sketchbook out later again
    I do have a pretty awesome tablet btw, a wacom intuos 3 A4, just need to use it more, probably after finals again! I only had time today for my daily 30sec sketsches.. so I,guess I'll just upload them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't want to talk about finals anymore. To keep my mind off it, I've been sketching a bit and practicing 3-point perspective, doing some 30-sec poses, value study, a cartoon, some cars (also for 3-point perspective), and a karmawhore for my reddit cakeday (nobody seems to like it though).

I suck at making anything other than cubes in 3-point perspective.
    Also, the one with the horse is completely wrong..
    Does anybody have any tips or anything to help me with that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will update again tomorrow.
    For now, this sharpie art thing will do
    I kind of like it, because I think I have created the atmosphere for this drawing that I had in my mind. Less pleased about the technical side of it, though.
    Some shadows are really messed up and the perspective in general sucks. (Looks like yesterday's perspective studies didn't really pay off)
    Anatomy's awkward, and the values (esp. around the elephant) are a bit off too.

It just looks very amateurish, (well, that's what I am, I know), but I want to take this style to a higher level, so I would appreciate feedback and tips on how to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm Alive!

I haven't posted much lately because of FINALS pld:

But.. today I've done a lot of sketching for the first time again! Woohoo!

I've done some colour theory, figure drawings and research for my fight scene (I have drawn several asian demon masks).

I've also done this speedpainting.. anatomy study just now. I should be sleeping but I couldn't help myself, ha-haha. I actually wanted to do some RL acrylic painting too but the paint was gone.. Maybe for the better or I wouldn't have gotten sleep at all tonight.

I'll upload all my traditional shit tomorrow, too tired and no good lighting to take pics of them now, but here's my digital study. I kind of like how it turned out, what do you think? (It's not supposed to be very detailed, I tried to focus on the general impression of it.)
    EDIT: Yeah just mentioned the little bump in her neck just now. I guess I really need some rest.

Last edited by Lychees; May 31st, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still too lazy to photograph and upload my traditional sketches, maybe tomorrow or after I refine them a bit. They're mostly landscape sketches. Which I'm horrible in.

Soooo... Here's some awful digital stuff I did recently. En-Joy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done some watercolours studies lately and started practising my backgrounds!
    I'll upload my watercolors later, but here's a digital landscape painting I did yesterday.

It's still in its sketch phase. Could anyone give critique for this painting before I start doing a detailed version?

I'm not entirely sure about the composition. I think it might be boring that the horizon line is in the middle, but I want the waterfall building/city to look HUGE, and I want to show the ships coming from afar too. What could I do to fix it?

Ignore the autograph, it's not going to be on the final piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NEW STUFF

These two are made for a little 'competition' I had with a friend, the theme was; Creatures: Mechanic vs. Organic
    Each took me an hour.

Birdy.png

Spidey.png

This last one is for 'Challenge Accepted', a Facebookgroup with friends of mine, each week we pick an awesome artwork, and we all try to copy it. So I didnt actually design it.
    challaccs.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some updates!

First, I'd like to ask you to review this WIP, it's for the Gnomon 2D image challenge.
    Are there any obvious mistakes that I'm missing here? (in perspective, composition, values)
    The bottom one is the original, the top ones to test out a slightly different composition (skewed horizon line)

White Walker Thumbnailswelkeisbeter.png

Second, here are some semi-finished, no-ref things I did...
    [//ATTACH=CONFIG]1666783[/ATTACH][//ATTACH=CONFIG]1666784[/ATTACH][//ATTACH=CONFIG]1666785[/ATTACH][//ATTACH=CONFIG]1666786[/ATTACH]
    (This one is a collab, we both drew a fish! Left one is mine)

And at last here are some digital studies I did in the meantime!

[ATTACH=CONFIG//]1666772[/ATTACH][/ATTACH=CONFIG]1666773[/ATTACH][//ATTACH=CONFIG]1666774[/ATTACH][//ATTACH=CONFIG]1666775[/ATTACH]

Last edited by Lychees; June 7th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    persp.png

Also asking for critique on these landscape thumbs I drew recently! What am I doing wrong here?

Please visit LYCHEE'S Amateurish Imaginarium of Art (A.K.A. My Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've made some pretty good progress in your sketchbook so far. I like how loose you're keeping your figure studies, and putting them in a context helps with defining the poses more. With the thumbnails I would try adding some values to them, as this will help establish the fore, middle and background. Also using different line weights will help to separate the shapes and add a little more depth to them. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schulschenk View Post
    You've made some pretty good progress in your sketchbook so far. I like how loose you're keeping your figure studies, and putting them in a context helps with defining the poses more. With the thumbnails I would try adding some values to them, as this will help establish the fore, middle and background. Also using different line weights will help to separate the shapes and add a little more depth to them. Keep it up!
    Thanks! yeah I should re-do the thumbnails in Photoshop real quickly
    I usually try to vary with my line weights (thicker in the foreground, and where you want people to look), but I guess I could be bolder than this.
    I'll update when I got time tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the updated version:

(still in early sketch phase)

white walkers.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your gestures and real life studies are very inspiring, I'm practicing myself at the moment to get better at anatomy. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some quick environment studies
    [//ATTACH=CONFIG]1682601[/ATTACH]

After that, tried a speedpaint without references. EDIt: Oops it's the wrong (earlier) version. I'll upload the better one later.
    White Walker mountain wip.png

Last week at school I learnt creating brushes and thumbnailing (for a character design seminar). I tried these guns for a Sinix design lab.
    Sinix_Gun_Thumbnails_by_Lisa_Plokker_lowres.jpg

I'll upload my character design stuff after the assignment has been reviewed

Last edited by Lychees; June 7th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's the work I did for my Character Design seminar.
    We had to design a game's character through thumbnailing, iteration and create a final 'selling illustration'.
    The game-world's and character's backstory we had to make up ourselves.

Backstory
    So it's a fantasy world. normal people live there, and the 'Gifted' who are rare, hated and feared, and have powers of fire, water, etc.
    My character Hath is a 12-yo boy living in a small town. His father is a blacksmith and creates
    a 'fire dagger' for his son. But one day, the villagers go into a rage and burn Hath's parents alive for witchcraft. The fire dagger
    is destroyed with his parents.
    Hath blacks out and wakes up the next day to find the village in ruin. Burnt to the ground. Hath's anger unlocked his fire powers.

Someone takes notice of the event and soon after, Hath is picked up by an unknown person, bringing him to a powerful organisation,
    that is collecting and teaching Gifted from all over the world. Here he learns to master his power. The goal of the organisation, he
    later discovers, is to collect all these Gifted and combine their powers to perform a ritual to open a gate to hell.
    Hath uses this to enter into the underworld, ruining the organisation's plans, and sparking a huge fight between Gifted and Humans
    of the organisation. Hath just wants to find his parents again. During the fight he sees all his Gifted friends get killed as they're strongly
    outnumbered. He gets his arm cut off.
    Dying and in desperation he finally finds his parents. They give him the *magical* sun dagger that was meant for him, and it gets fused to what's
    left of his elbow. They tell him that they love him, but that he has to do the right thing.
    Hath then turns back to the fight, with an even bigger hatred and new found power, and defeats the humans. Then he goes on to
    make a deal with Hell's demons, he'll free them if they help him fight, as his army.

He leaves hell with the remaining Gifted, an army of Demons and a new goal: kill all of humanity, and create a better world for the Gifted.

Fire, the Sun, Demonic, Rage, Anger, Fury, Revenge.
    new thumbs characer hts.jpg
    ITERATIES OP CHARACTER DESIGNlowres.jpg
    final design hts.jpg
    Human The Sidekick - Selling Illustration final.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second character illustration

She's a summoner

Human the sidekick char2 lightning wolf finalowresl.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff I did since the last post
    Also, I'm on Livestream now! http://www.livestream.com/lycheesshit

silly mechlores2.png

Grashoppa_lr2.png

SirennnnnnnfjslfjsldfLO.png

Bullizardlo.png

Squidcraft3.png

[ATTAC/H=CONFIG]1711043[/ATTACH]

Some quick designs/sketches/studies etc.

Last edited by Lychees; June 7th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.