Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    No worries man. I really like that second one Elwell posted...gives me all kinds of ideas on how to make one that is pretty variable. In an atelier or academy where a bunch of students are drawing/painting still lifes at the same time they have to be able to control the light on each setup.

Anyway, good ideas there on how to make one really easy.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So it's just a box? That's slightly anti-climactic, though encouraging because I definitely have plenty of those.

I've started collecting things in my house that vaguely resemble spheres and I've drawn a few briefly, probably gonna go a bit more in depth with it later tonight. Also, I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/BASIC-GEOMETRI...d_sim_sbs_ac_1. Would that be a good investment? What about styrofoam shapes? I feel like I really need to study the most basic of basic items at this point.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnlySteve View Post
    So it's just a box? That's slightly anti-climactic, though encouraging because I definitely have plenty of those.
    Yup, box with holes in it. How sophisticated a "box with hole in" is up to you. Throw a dimmer switch and some velvet in if you feel like it.

Also, I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/BASIC-GEOMETRI...d_sim_sbs_ac_1. Would that be a good investment? What about styrofoam shapes? I feel like I really need to study the most basic of basic items at this point.
    Looking at the Amazon link, I see the equivalents in..Any square box (teabags?), Pringles can, Toblerone box, kids football, don't see anything cone or pyramid shaped lying around this particular room..

Basically, if you can find those things and spray them white for less than 10 bucks, do that, otherwise sure, go with those.

Materials don't matter, it's just some uncomplicated shapes that you can observe and draw for a while y'know?*

*Pringles and Toblerone boxes do come with free snacks though. Bonus.

Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Yup, box with holes in it. How sophisticated a "box with hole in" is up to you. Throw a dimmer switch and some velvet in if you feel like it.
    That's just a good idea no matter what the situation right there.

Bonus tip: cruise the local thrift shops for funky, simple knick-knacks, candle holders, kitchen oddities, kids toddler toys, etc. Spray them flat white and voila, instant collection of crap to draw.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rishenko View Post
    On a tangent, I would love to see a set of photos of others' (especially master) drawings of spheres and basic shapes in a variety of mediums. Mostly because I'm curious to see how they approached rendering values, whether with lines, cross hatches, flat sweeps of tone, and how many different levels of tone... just, well, their interpretation (art) of the basic forms.
    I like this idea!! Things get so much more interesting when you aren't trying to shade photo realistically but are using lines in a cruder manner in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------
    My Blog!
    http://www.whirlyart.blogspot.co.uk/

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1