Sketchbook: Tree's Will Cry...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tree's Will Cry...

Update!!! Hey guys ive been working really hard to try and improve my drawing capabilities and am trying to decide on what schools to apply to in the los angeles area. I currently am going to apply for artcenter, LAAFA, Laguna, and otis. If you can give me any tips or information bout these schools or suggest another please send me a message or jus tpost it right here thank you!

Hey Guy's Iv'e been meaning to create this sketchbook for the last couple of months but finally got to actually doing it today.

About Me
    I am 17 currently and have decided within the past couple of months that i do not want to have a boring regular job that i hate even if it does pay big. That being said i have fallen into the path of wanting to become a VFX Artist that does compositing and works with fluids/particles or something within that area(3d animator or 3d modeler). I plan on accomplishing my dream by attending Gnomon: School of Visual Effects and working my ass off while im there. On the other hand I have to get accepted(obviously) in order to achieve that goal. So i have joined the conceptart community because i have seen more than enough talented and breathtaking artist on here and hope to become one of them. I will be posting as often as I can and am open for any suggestions and Critique that you may have to offer. I will also try to get a bit involved with the community by possibly joining some of the community groups. So thank you to everyone that took the time to read this and join me on my journey of progress to build a portfolio thats Gnomon material!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arteast; January 4th, 2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Times Change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    catching everyone up to where im at starting from the beginning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first image is a favorite of mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About a month ago i visited Gnomon and met with a administrator and a couple of students and absolutely decided that there is no place right for me but that school. I was told to work on gesture and anatomy so i started studying some Burne Hogarth, Andrew Loomis, and Gnomon DvD's to get better. I also started doing 2min pixel lovely figure drawing every day (Minus a few i missed ) towards my newer figure drawings i have tried to make it in 1 min.

Last edited by Arteast; May 15th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no wonder myself, but I'm very impressed with the visible progress you've made, particularly with your gestures. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll grow to be an amazing artist, the potential is definitely there hun

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Askew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    almost done updating!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more figure drawing and some figure drawing from my girlfriends softball game a anatomy study from my gnomon DvD and Burne Hogarths wrinkles and drapery book i am studying it because i think getting a slight feel for the direction of the wrinkles will give me more of an idea of how movement works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to CA, nice studies ... keep it up! be careful, you have to check everything if it gain you knowledge visually. Compare it on previous sketches. What I mean is you need to double check like for example your studies on proportion, you need to check it every time you are doing it on your drawing. from first up to the latest if you really get the hang of it.

goodluck, I'll check again next time if I have extra time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nevermindjoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First 3 images are from yesterday 30 1min figure drawings starting from 212 and a short study from Loomis. Next couple images are from about 2 months ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks joker i see what your saying but i feel like i visually get a feel for the head and proportions but i will try to do it more often thanks for stopping by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys sorry I've been slacking pretty hard already I am coming up to the end of school so im pretty busy catching everything up and studying ect. So im trying to get some more drawing in and catch you guys up with the little I've done pld: the first 2 pictures are graphite 60 sec figure drawings and the next few i decided to start using pen and then a couple of studies and doodles Advice and Critique please!

Also that last picture with the broken light bulb that says Fail is a Failed attempt of me try to to a quick sketch from imagination using no references

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys here is a small update. My family just got a new puppy its half border collie half pitbull its adorable so ive been losing some drawing time to taking care of her. Just some drawing from real life, reference, and of course studies! Not pleased at all with my last study I need to work harder!pld:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From the looks of the first picture in your latest post, I'd reccomand you to work on foreshortening,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! I'm not really in a place to make comments, but if I had to suggest anything it would be narrow your focus. You'll get the most out of your studies if you spend your entire study session focusing on a single thing (like hands, or heads, or perspective) and if you apply those studies as quick as you can from your mind - no refs or anything. The biggest thing I'd work on If I was you would be to be really careful. Before you place each line (especially when working from your mind) draw it in your head once before adding it. Check the proportions in your head. Measure twice cut once if you will. Keep it up!

Twitter|Tumblr|CGhub|DeviantArt|Blog||Mick.MonsieurBeefy@gmail.com

available for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just saw your update, listen to beefy it's really a good advice ... and I'm just want to add if you really want to be better I know your on your way ... compare your work from established artist at gnomon if you like (because that is your plan right?) you will certainly notice that you have a long way to go but it's not that you can't attain that. while doing so, I saw you have really tons of sketches of Human in different poses, why not do a sketch of five on each particular pose, don't use an eraser to clean because you need five. also don't copy what you have done from the first. just have your reference right there all the time (life or photo it doesn;t matter), I want to see it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    milou- Thanks for the advise i definitely see foreshortening as one of my weaknesses and will definitely do a study for it soon.

Monsieur-Beefy- Hey man thanks for stopping by you are definitely my inspiration on these forms right now! Thanks for the great advise as well drawing from my imagination is definitely something i need to work on

nevermindjoker- Thanks man i would definitely agree beefy knows what he is talking about ha. and i know i definitely have no where id rather be than at Gnomon and im willing to work as hard as it will take! and alright I took your advise and think im going to start doing the 5 figure drawings every day after my 30 min of 60sec figures

Alright a small update for everyone im almost at 500 60sec figure drawings! I did a small study on hands and then drew three from imagination trying to not look at my own hand as refrence was hard aha Then i did 5 60 sec figure drawings of the same figure and then a eyes study advise, tips, critique, ect. is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im glad youre drawing alot thats always a good start, keep in mind the back line that is what gives direction and flow to the figure even if youre compying the figure from a book still draw the back line so you can begin to understand the flow of the pose and also study more proportion and the natural guidelines of the body

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionheartGFX- thanks for the advise i really appreciate it

Last edited by Arteast; June 8th, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lionheart is right - to really give your figures punch, pay attention to the line of action. Okay, I'm linking to a cartoon, but the same applies to realistic figures: Tree's Will Cry... the dotted line is the line where the figure is aligned and stretched out on. Generally speaking you can find the line of action in the spine. It can hold a lot of power and tension and is great for gestures. Next time you use pixelovely, find out what the spine is doing and base your figure around that. I have to say, wonderful progress!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bodied For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you serious? 500 drawings 60 secs each? wow it took you 8 hours for that! I can only draw stick figures in a minute! This is crazy! ) keep it up! I'm still waiting for the 5 figure drawings with refs though

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nevermindjoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bodied-thanks i really appreciate the advise i did a couple figure drawings using the line of action and i definitely got a better feel of the gesture and movement! Great Advise!
    nevermindjoker- Thanks man! and I tried to do what i thought you asked me to do in the last post did where it says 5 60sec figure drawings or is that not what you wanted?

Hey everyone im on Vacation right now in the Bahamas so i wont be doing another update for about a week but ill be back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys sorry ive been slacking a bit with drawing due to everything ive been doing for summer but in about two weeks ill be going to 3kicks studio in LA and hope to improve tremendously.
    Sorry for this poor excuse of an update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to do a update on a small study i did and some doodles ive been doing while vacationing. Tomorrow i begin my first class at 3Kicks! Im very excited and hope to show you guys leaps of improvement by the end of the month! First image done in graphite the rest are in pen also a catch up on my 60sec figure drawings ive been slacking on a bit but trying to continue with it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update here is my first oil painting ive ever done. 3Kicks is amazing i have my second class today!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are people scared of my sketchbook? haha please comment and give me some criticism and tips please! haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You asked me to take a look and here I am

It's a good thing that you draw a lot (or seems to) but need to keep working on anatomy and by anatomy I don't mean drawing bodies and that's all, you need to learn the construction of the human body. It takes time, I'm far from being good at anatomy too lol

I see a lot of gesture drawing and how others suggested you to give more dynamism, I agree, check this video by my friend Sycra, I found it very helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiwGm32dXU

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Isra C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isra thank you so much for stopping by i really appreciate it! I agree i definitely need to work on anatomy and actually am taking a class for a month on it at 3kicks starting on saturday! That video your friend made is extremely helpful thank you so much for posting it! Stop by again to see my attempts at figure/gesture drawing after i give it a try now that i have seen the proper way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some really nice studies that you've got, my only criticism is that your figures are a bit stiff. Other than that just keep at it really

Can't wait to see more progress from you

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kanda Thanks and im going to try to work on my figures and Gestures

Quick update on another oil painting i did focused towards values like the other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update the first three are 60sec figure/gesture drawings done before my advise from Isra-ac. the next two are me practicing gesture and figure drawing working more on proportions as well not quite sure how much time i did on each figure. Sorry about the last one I decided to do them over an old page XD

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1