Follows
    Following
    15min speed painting

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little Update Some Failed Silhouette attempts and a character design for my portfolio for art center she is going to be a Huntress forest elf and i think the owl/butterfly silhouette is going to be her companion Critique advice something anything !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm seeing tons of improvement in your figures. i really appreciate how much studying your doing, thats something i really gotta do more. I'm no expert on figures so i would just suggest keep at what your doing, but at the same time push yourself to make some finished art work with your growing figure skills. i think that will help.

for your recent enviro digital paintings i have a couple of suggestions, again I'm not exactly an expert.
    - don't use the soft brush. i generally only use a very basic square brush. it just looks so much better, and you will learn faster.
    - get reference. making stuff up from your head will be veeeery hard at first. and nothing will look believable.
    - do lots of photo and master studies. specifically artist like albert beirdsatdt (sp?) and thomas moran. studying from life will help alot if you can do that.
    - do thumbnails to help with composition. i know your trying to do speed paints, but thumbnails are good practice.
    - work in layers. start with the sky and things in the distance. end with foreground.

hope this helps. best of luck to you! thanks for posting in my sketchbook!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pfloyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfloyd- thanks for the tips man i messed around with the basic square brush and really liked it. And those speed paintings have been from peter lik photos for reference.

Some studies and experimentation with composition

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I am planning to get into animation too and we are the same age! I am just wondering if you are in for a little competition I think it will get us both working harder .

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of studies from another member of conceptart Cameli: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...tchbook/page11 And an plein air painting that i got frustrated with.. I might go back and work on it

Kamikazel33t I accept your challenge!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys sorry ive been slacking with my updates ive just been so busy with my portfolio and Halo 4 coming out ahah Ill be trying to update more often critique and advice is praised

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!
    THe first image is a speed painting i did on photoshop experimenting with some different brushes. Reference Image Used took about 10-15min. The next two images are Rough sketch character designs for my portfolio. My theme is lord of the rings but a native american indian style! They are frodo and Gandalf! Critique and advise is praised thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, i'd like to make a suggestion, you are free to disregard it, don't waste time on speedpainting atm learn the basics and then speedpaint when you'll have those down. Spend some hours on a single enviroment, it will help you way more then those 15 minute speedpaintings you keep making.
    Quick crit about the characters:
    Frodo doesn't look native american, reminds me more of african tribes and gandalf would look at home with the eskimos some research on what you are trying to accomplish would help a lot, get some references and do studies, learn how they dress and why they dress that way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to G@m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    G@M thank you very much for you advice and for your comment sometimes i feel like i have the invisible sketchbook haha! I will definitely try to do a longer study rather than my 15 min ones! also thank you for your advice on my characters i definitely see where you are coming from :/ Frodo has more of an aztec indian influence to him and gandalf is suppose to be kind of like a indian shaman. I added a couple little details to his design to try to make it more indian any better ?

Last edited by Arteast; November 16th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took G@M's advice and tried to do a longer study. I really liked how it turned out! In fact this might be the best painting i have done i feel so accomplished i feel like i have broken a barrier in my art! Refrence image:http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/life/ima...fe-284x212.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like some of the stuff you added to gandalf, the circle of feathers behind his ass is out of place imo, makes him look like a humanoid turkey! i've also looked around and i can't find any native american with a beard, you might want to take that into consideration plus the headress right now seems to be made of fuzzy stuff, take a look at these, "3 awesome dudes", and watch the shape of their headress. Another big problem you seem to be having is anatomy, check out loomis book, Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, its pretty easy to find on google. The gandalf from the side is not a proud owner of a human spine , if i were you i'd keep the gandalf that way and redraw it on a new sheet, keeping always in mind that he needs to have an interesting silouhette, maybe fringes on the sleeves, strange necklaces etc...

Good job on the last digital, the first thing i noticed is that you didn't keep the same ratio as the image you chose as reference and that causes all sorts of problems, if you try to fit an image that is perfectly contained into a square in a rectangle something is bound to be stretched and transform. An interesting method you could use while starting, is to use a grid to get the proportions right. Place a grid on the photo, make the same grid on your image, and draw using the edges of the grid as a guide.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to G@m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    legolas design i did a couple days ago along with a quick speed painting i did a couple days ago

Last edited by Arteast; November 17th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two life drawings from last wednesday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gollum Design for my portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Arteast, sorry it took so long for me to get around to doing this critique But here you go.

So one thing I've noticed is you're jumping in to all of these character designs without studying enough of the fundamentals of anatomy and developing a good knowledge of proportions. Do you have any books from Bridgeman or Loomis? If not you should definitely invest in one of those (preferably Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" here's a link to it on amazon --> http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing.../dp/0857680986 ). I know it's tempting to try and build your portfolio up and shove yourself out there, but you need to take it one step at a time.

I'm not sure how much time you have, or if you even have limited time, to get into a college. If you aren't on a time limit then I suggest taking some time to study anatomy and the human figure and apply it to your character designs. As well as study various cultures and use the different clothing and accessories as inspiration in your designs. So to critique your Gollum design... First off I actually really like the change to the Lord of the Rings characters, I think it's pretty cool. So that said I think you applied the various cultures well to the character however there are things you must consider while designing your character. You need to consider realism, for instance it may be true that the nails would grow that long over so long however no one would ever be able to realistically grab anything or use their hands for anything with that long of nails. You can still have long nails, just maybe not push it to be that long. Along with the ring in his lip, I know cultures do that, but there's a point where you don't want to push your design too far, so maybe try and shrink that a bit.

Below is an image of your heads and next to it I've drawn the basic proportions of the human head. I know Gollum's head is disproportionate in some areas, especially the eyes, however in order to push the proportions and still have it be realistic you have to first understand the common proportions. I'm going to give you this link for a video on proko.com. I'm not sure if you've seen his videos or not but they're a fantastic resource. Don't just watch the one I'm linking to you, seriously watch all of them, they will seriously help you --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1EPNYWeEf1U

So basically to summarize, slow it down, study the shit out of what you need to know, and apply apply apply. I can't stress how important it is to apply your studies. If you draw a page in your sketchbook full of arms from a Bridgeman or Hogarth book, then draw another page full of your own arms from your imagination. It will pay off. If you do this you'll be just fine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^^
    Everything he said.
    Draw everyday, keep up the improvement!

Twitter|Tumblr|CGhub|DeviantArt|Blog||Mick.MonsieurBeefy@gmail.com

available for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my final character design of Gandalf for my portfolio! Lots learned through this and the next will be better! critique and advice always is always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    self portrait before bed

Last edited by Arteast; November 28th, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good job! yet I feel as though you would need to work less on rendering and more on structure and form in your life drawings as well as your regular drawings. I suggest you pick up The Vilppu Drawing Manual. It is a good book which really teaches you how to be loose and gestural while adding structure to your life drawings or figure drawings. I feel that for your self portrait you would need to work more and try to analyse the proportions on your face using the relationships mentioned from the other posters a bit more.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kamikazel33t Thanks! and yeah i think your right i need to spend more time getting the structure and proportions right before i rush things into a mess

Some Life Drawing focusing a lot more on proportions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit of a pathetic update but i decided to fix up my Gandalf design a bit! A huge thanks to Forrest Imel for a live stream critique he did for me his sketchbook can be found here [url]http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?189835-I-draw-with-crayons!/page17[url]

Last edited by Arteast; December 1st, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frodo WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost done with frodo then moving onto the next character!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished with Frodo the the necklace he is holding is my replacement of the "ring"! Im pretty pleased with this one i keep learning from each character! On to making Legolas!:painter:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you will clean up tremendously if you did a few still lifes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While there are a lot of underlying anatomy issues with frodo, the life drawing classes will sort that out eventually.

Back to Frodo, the ribcage looks unnatural, and for some reason he looks sad. Also his face is angled to the side but his nose is facing forward. You should fix that before moving on.

Looks like you are putting in the hard yards though. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the c&c!
    Otherwise nice work so far, you have no fear doing all diffrent subjects ( painting,shading,finishing stuff to the end ), i like your willingness, dont stop.

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stinkfist - i agree i will do some as soon as i have some more time.

Fireblade- Thank you very much and i will fix that indeed!

eclip-se- thans very much man!

So small update but just wanted everyone to know im still alive and drawing haha. I have been busy with my finals and trying to work on my portfolio! Hopefuly soon ill be finished and be able to just go back to doing a ton of studies! No scanner and smaller new sketchbook so im sorry for bad quality

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3