Looking for critiques WIP

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for critiques WIP

Hey another newb looking for critiques, again just finishing up a 2 year video game art and animation course. This is my armor design I was going for a near future light-weight swat assault police trouper look. I'm sure you can point out lots to me.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice is to grab some paper and a pencil, and start working on learning perspective, and how to draw simple shapes at every angle; after youíre familiar with this, study anatomy. Itís a long boring road, but itís one that is well worth the travel. There are numerous flaws in these images, and it would almost be pointless to point them out to you at your current level, because fixing them wonít help you advance as an artist. However, just to try to get you to start thinking in 3d; look at his legs.

Using your imagination, draw a straight line from his knee cap to the joint where his foot connects to his leg. You should be able to see that his left foot-on our right- is actually broken and twisted in a rather grotesque manner. It may help if you visualize a line going from your knee to your foot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    1. Learn some structural drawing. You're focusing on the outline too much and not thinking of the volume.
    2. Think of the drawing as a round form in space, not flat lines on paper.
    3. Sketch with a pencil, not digitally - it is quicker and easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Light and shadows will help round some things out. If the source is coming from the knife, his back would be the darkest as the knife would be in front of the character. If you are using the background, make some of the shadows connect with the character so he does not look pasted on. If you need help with lighting, set it up in a simple scene in Maya with simple shapes and add the lighting to see how it effects it all.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    My advice is to grab some paper and a pencil, and start working on learning perspective, and how to draw simple shapes at every angle; after youíre familiar with this, study anatomy. Itís a long boring road, but itís one that is well worth the travel. There are numerous flaws in these images, and it would almost be pointless to point them out to you at your current level, because fixing them wonít help you advance as an artist. However, just to try to get you to start thinking in 3d; look at his legs.

Using your imagination, draw a straight line from his knee cap to the joint where his foot connects to his leg. You should be able to see that his left foot-on our right- is actually broken and twisted in a rather grotesque manner. It may help if you visualize a line going from your knee to your foot.
    Very Very well explained

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    1. Learn some structural drawing. You're focusing on the outline too much and not thinking of the volume.
    2. Think of the drawing as a round form in space, not flat lines on paper.
    3. Sketch with a pencil, not digitally - it is quicker and easier.
    You got me, aurenhaus, I do tend to focus on silhouette and I did do the initial sketches on the drawing pad as well. I actually started on the pad as a guy from a local game studio commented that to always be going between the scanner and the computer often takes more time and I should work at using the pad directly. Lol oh well. I do of course sketch on paper as well, just not for this project. I do indeed see what you are saying about his leg especially, David. I was going for a lunge with the tazer-knife starting with the toe and twisting in a hook like motion, turning mid stride. Not pulled off and it does look awkward. Our course tries to teach us a little bit of everything and we did have a only a little time with anatomy but life drawing was once a week. I really must force myself to work out the structure everytime first undoubtedly half assed it here.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grab a stick and act out lunging at someone and stabbing them. You can even try that twisty hook stab motion you're talking about. You'll likely find that your body in no way moves in the way that you've drawn this figure. Shooting reference of yourself performing this action should help.

As advised above, focusing on structural drawing is still your first priority. The guy at the local game studio was giving advice for someone at a different level of experience. You don't need to worry about completing a drawing quickly, but rather pushing yourself at every stage of the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    put a new layer over top this and make your figure all boxes in perspective and see if the pose still works

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.