Game concept poster

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Game concept poster

I study game development at the university, and the course I have now involved creating a game concept and basically pitch it. We're going to write a ten-pager about the concept, create a poster (this), and also a teaser trailer for our game. The theme of the assignment is "epic", and we're supposed to be trying to interest a potential customer as quickly as possible (as is what you usually do with posters and trailers).

I was assigned to be the art director (and also artist) in the group I'm working in and I have an idea here for our poster concept that I would be very grateful if you can take a look at and say what you think. I'll explain a bit about the idea below:

Synapse
    Our concept is based on an idea of the movie Inception meeting the game Metal Gear Solid. It's set in a not too distant future, but basically based on our own modern world. Our main character is a spy that collects information from important people and sell it for money. Her way of collecting this information is through entering people's minds or subconsiousness with a sort of sci-fi device (it's all conveniently magical how this thing works, we're not supposed to know the details) that attaches to her hand. By simply touching another human being she can enter their minds and, if played correctly, gain valuable information. The wonderful mechanics behind it are supposedly based on connecting the synapses in her brain to the victim's brain, and so be able to intertwine on a more subconcious level.

Supposedly, you start the game off working for this organization where you do this for a living. A bit into the game however, our main character (the player) discovers that the information you have collected for this organization has given them the opportunity to do something really bad, like ruining the world economy or something. We're not completely sure what, but it's something reaaaally bad. And of course she has to put things right because she's one of the few that can do this sort of thing (and possibly because she suddenly grew a conscience).

The gameplay involves going into different people's minds of course. You use stealth a whole lot (like Snake in Metal Gear) to get around, especially in the real world because it is very tricky to get to the person with the information. You have a range of weapons to use (like a gun, stun gun, etc.), but the player is supposed to be rewarded for avoidning enemies and make their way by smoothly rather than confront them. When the player enters the mind of the victim they have to use this technique aswell, because the "people" in the victim's mind can detect if you're an outside force if you act too weirdly or don't answer questions correctly. This will lead to people slowly starting to mess with you more and more. At first they might just shove you around or look at you funny, but the more you screw up, the more the world (mind) you're in will screw up. Eventually meteors might come down or houses might collapse, for example, and the player gets a game over.

We sketched on a few concepts for this idea to make a poster that communicates it well enough, and this is the one we think is the best so far. It clearly shows off the gear thingy in her hand (which is the main gameplay element), herself and also some towering buildings in the background. When I do the final product I do want to alter her pose a little to make it look more like she's leaning towards you and trying to put her hand on your face (easing up the hand a bit and bend the fingers slightly), rather than just have her stand and look like she's telling me to stop, like she is right now. The background was also redder earlier to convey the feeling of subconciousness and how "things are not real", but I used way too much saturation in that color as well as the main color in the foreground (blueish green), so I washed it out a bit to make it easier on the eyes and make her hand (the focus) stand out more. I'm very aware a lot of things are off, especially anatomywise, but this is basically the initial sketch and done very roughly and fast. I'm more interested in:

- What you think as to how this picture communicates?
    - Do the colors play off each other well?
    - Is the lighting coming from behind a good idea?
    - Does the poster communicate the concept?
    - How's the composition?
    - Should her pose be altered?
    - Should things be added/removed?
    - What do you think of the name "Synapse"?

Stuff like that. Any other pointers are also welcome, of course.

Sorry for the wall of text, btw.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems awesome so far, if you ever get the game made, I'll so totally play it
    I wonder how the gameplay will work though, and on what system? How might a player delve into such a device and see the story unfold?

The poster looks good so far, real good, once you get all the finished stuff of it up, I bet it'd be awesome.

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see your refs for this, her body looks really bulky and her arms really thin (compared to the body) and attached oddly. Also comparing the size of your palm to her's may point something...

I can't say that the colours are working, the character gets lost in the monochrome and the title kinda gets lost too, same as the gadget in her arm. I mean it's visible when you look at it, but there's no real attention to it and it's unclear whether the thing is creating that glow or if her hand is just reflecting the glow out of image (especially since something like that would probably not light the points of her finger's).

Also if you're doing the Psychonauts thing, then I think it would make sense to make the background reflect that. What significance do the building behind her have? Are they normal buildings or mind buildings? Will they intrigue the viewer to find out?
    It doesn't really matter if this scene would never happen in the actual game, for a teaser poster you ought to amp up all the good stuff.

Last edited by TinyBird; May 7th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What TinyBird said. Other than the green glow, this image is essentially one hue. A little color variation goes a long way. What is farther away should also be less saturated. I think the face deserves a bit of that green glow too, since its all over the torso. And the other eye.

Have a nice. Sneak.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i personally dont think it works too well. thumbnails, you need to experiment. strait on shots work well for character modeling, not for dynamics of interest. it needs more interesting shapes, maybe more characters but not necessarily. work on some b+w comps and post those.
    I agree with TB, the colours don't work. i'ts better to post a competent greyscale image then to push for a colour one that your not ready for.

13thprotector - you wasted like 20 seconds of my life with that text, please try and give insight, it's ok to like the image but at least explain why, whats working. if you want to ask questions like that then use the message system. seems like you just after praise with that comment. thats what DA is for.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the poster communicates the concept. I know that the shape on his hand is techno-magic, but there's nothing that says what that device does. I could just as easily assume it shoots laser beams. Also, there's all sorts of covers with glowy-hand magic, so it doesn't generate a lot of intrigue either.

Besides that, I would think a little more about what you want to do with the game concept. You're saying "Hey, what if you could play Inception as a game like Metal Gear Solid?" And I agree that it sounds like a fun game. But if you're going to borrow a concept, I want to know how you'll use it to explore an idea the source material doesn't. Otherwise, to me, it just feels like a shallow imitation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you think as to how this picture communicates?

-It looks like fan art for an anime. I don't mean to be rude , but it looks unfinished. Adding some more sharpness to the lines would help it look more complete. The mark making in the background has a very high amount on contrast drawing a great deal of attention to it, and making it feel like it's in front of the figure.

Do the colors play off each other well?

-The colors are ok, but I would like to see a stronger color scheme, I would play with it a little more.

Is the lighting coming from behind a good idea?

-That's fine

Does the poster communicate the concept?

-It just doesn't say "game" to me. This could be a manga title. The type needs to be a little thicker and could stand to be bigger. I just googled a bunch of video game box art and the title was usually sized about a quarter of the composition if you divided it vertically.

How's the composition?

-It's pretty straightforward, no huge problems

Should her pose be altered?

-I couldn't tell that this was a woman. I would dress up on of your friends put a small light bulb in their hand and a strong light behind them and take pictures. YOu have done a good job of approximating the light sources, but taking reference photos will make your job a lot easier and make this go a lot faster. As for drawing women, generally you want to give them less strong jaws and daintier/smaller noses. I am sure there are some tutorials if you google them.

Should things be added/removed?

-not really

What do you think of the name "Synapse"?

-Sounds cool.

You should check out my site! Yes you!

www.mlharris.carbonmade.com

and the devarts...
    michaelharris.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry dog-faced, I'm just trying to be a bit positive compared to a lot of people, and it's fun to see others notice and dislike it.

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 13thprotector View Post
    Sorry dog-faced, I'm just trying to be a bit positive compared to a lot of people, and it's fun to see others notice and dislike it.
    The point is that this is a Critique forum, not a Compliment forum. At least try making your compliments constructive if you can't give other critique, pointless compliments do not help when you are complimenting things that are actually failing in the image.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just trying to be nice, I didn't do any harm.

But if you want me to give some sort of criticism about it, look at her belt. I'm a bit unsure about it and what those little pouches are. I'm not good at giving negative critiques, but the "p" on Synapse should be a bit more defined, I can hardly tell it from a "p" without having read the wall of words. I like the glowing effect, even if no one else does, I'd like to know how it was done so I can hopefully incorporate it in what I do, and I know what I do sucks so please no one say against me.

And a person is entitled to their own style and their own hands, we can't control it. If you had some of the models or other concept art to the characters from the whole group in charge of making the models, it'd be a lot easier to compare the poster to what it'll look like on the big screen. But me personally I think it looks good and you just need to keep working at it.

is that better?

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I'd like to see your refs for this, her body looks really bulky and her arms really thin (compared to the body) and attached oddly. Also comparing the size of your palm to her's may point something...

I can't say that the colours are working, the character gets lost in the monochrome and the title kinda gets lost too, same as the gadget in her arm. I mean it's visible when you look at it, but there's no real attention to it and it's unclear whether the thing is creating that glow or if her hand is just reflecting the glow out of image (especially since something like that would probably not light the points of her finger's).

Also if you're doing the Psychonauts thing, then I think it would make sense to make the background reflect that. What significance do the building behind her have? Are they normal buildings or mind buildings? Will they intrigue the viewer to find out?
    It doesn't really matter if this scene would never happen in the actual game, for a teaser poster you ought to amp up all the good stuff.
    Agreed here. The colors just don't seem to work well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys!

13thprotector: I'm flattered you liked the concept and it's always nice to hear something..nice. But as TinyBird and dog-faced mentioned, it's even better if you can point out exactly what works and how. Thank you for stopping by again and give it another go! I'll think about making the "p" not resemble a blob so much in the next try. Also, there was nothing fancy behind the glow. Just some airbrushing and using a more solid brush around the lighter areas.

TinyBird: Yeah, the anatomy is off, and the reason behind that might be because I didn't use a reference for this. That in itself of course points to my need to practice a whole lot more.

I don't think I gave enough thought about the monochrome colors since I thought I was being so clever with having the backlight defining her frame in the picture. I think I have a tendency to sort of "over-harmonize" my colors, wanting them to all blend into each other nicely, and then forgetting that this might cause the picture to become unreadable or flat. Gonna think about that when I get to the next stage. Also thanks for the background tip! The buildings right now are a little bent inwards to create a sort of "trippy" effect, but it definitely doesn't show well. Maybe I'll add something dramatic, like buildings falling apart in the background? I'm also going to try and make her smaller in the picture so that you can see the background a little bit better.

Sneak: Totally need to pull those contrasts down in the background. Thanks for the tip!

dog-faced: We did work with other ideas as well, but this is the one that the people in my group voted for in the end so I pretty much have to stick to this idea for the poster. Of course I can try and play with positioning and angle and stuff maybe?

Also you're right, I've tried working in greyscale before and it's so much easier for me when I can only focus on value rather than color harmony. I've seen some artists painting in the values in greyscale at first and then adding color on top afterwards. You think that might be an idea here?

Grunler: Interesting point. It's hard to communicate an abstract concept such as going into people's subconciousness and whatnot in just one picture. Like I told dog-faced this is an idea I pretty much have to stick to (the main character being in the picture and showing off the hand thingy in some way, with a city in the background), but maybe the perspective could tell the story in a better way? I thought about tilting the view down a little so it rather looks like she's leaning over you, with her hand reaching towards you, as she would do just before touching a knocked out victim. The hand would also be eased up a bit to get rid of the stop sign she's trying so hard to be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post
    But if you're going to borrow a concept, I want to know how you'll use it to explore an idea the source material doesn't. Otherwise, to me, it just feels like a shallow imitation.
    I'm sorry, do you think you could elaborate a bit on that part? Do you feel as if we're not being original enough about it, like it sounds like we're basically ripping off another movie and game?

michaelharris: Oh god, it looks like anime! That is not my intention. This is a sketch without reference however, so I imagine the final thing will have a lot more detail and a more serious attempt at making the anatomy look better. I have a tendency to make things look cartoony on my own, a bad habit grown out of drawing from too many comics earlier in my life. I'm trying to get rid of it, but I'll put some extra thought into it here. I'll also think about the title and making her look like an actual female. I guess it's a little bit more important to get her feminine traits in her face right here, since she won't be wearing much in the sense of "traditional revealing female clothing" that happens a lot in games. Also her hair is put up in a ponytail, but I'm thinking about reworking that into just giving her a shorter haircut that still has enough length to convey "femininity".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One problem with these extremely-foreshortened limbs and straight-on expression is that you lose the storytelling power you get out of a clear silhouette. The hand is a powerful shape but everything else in the picture is static and uninteresting. If all the picture has going for it is the hand you could just as easily blank everything else out and have maximum contrast leading the eye right to the most interesting part.

I'd do more thumbnails and explore more interesting and dynamic shapes, even if you just stick to the same components. Surely there's more ways for a character to hold out their hand and look interestingly mysterious than as a largely amorphous blob.

(Also you might want to read this: http://sevencamels.blogspot.ca/2012/...-dramatic.html)

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vineris: True that. I'll make some thumbnails in the near future and see what you think of them. Also, thanks a ton for that article! It was a very informational read indeed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured it might have been air brushing, I use that when I use a glowing but I was told it would've been better to use a brush. I'm still kinda new at all the tools and materials, I can't paint worth a flip, but I've been trying to get all my ideas jotted down and make a comic or something of the sort out of it.

I can't say negative things, just isn't my nature. I feel better giving someone a thumbs up and letting their imagination and their personal skills to improve and flow on their own. Compared to someone saying "You have to make it this way!" all the time. Ever play a game called Advent Rising? The art style on that old game had so much controversy, that people didn't play it for that reason alone, I think that's stupid. The characters were intentionally made as a realistic cartoon style, and I think that was awesome, it was something new, something cool. Rather than having everyone medium sized and bulky, these characters came in a range of different physiques but all given that tall look to it. That's why I have a bit of an opposition to the negative, maybe I'll get yelled at, well I can take it and it's quite funny to read people getting angry.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say negative things, just isn't my nature. I feel better giving someone a thumbs up and letting their imagination and their personal skills to improve and flow on their own.
    That's great, but some of these people are facing consequences in the real world and they're here for a sanity check because later this week they are going to be talking to a client, teacher or art director. It's cute when you think you're being nice and sticking it to the mean old negative people, but it's no longer so cute when you see people suffer because no one wanted to be straight with them. If a friend came to you and asked you to check over their answers for a practice exam would you "be negative" and tell them what questions they got wrong, or would you "let them develop their imagination and personal skills", say everything is okay and watch them fail their real exam?

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I guess I don't see the big picture at times, but I'd still stick to the initial good guy attitude. A person should be told the image they are trying to take from another person's ideas in enough detail that they know what they're doing. If they have that general direction, then they know what to do, and they'll do it. I'm not saying they won't suffer, but people who want someone to portray a specific design or image aught to be told enough to portray it.

Sounds like an excuse but when someone says that they want a person, you draw a person, if it's not the person they wanted, then that's because they didn't specify the person. They choose their artist because they like their skill sets, their outlook, their selves and their work. Would you get Michelangelo to paint cubism or an abstract image?

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by knocknoc View Post
    I'm sorry, do you think you could elaborate a bit on that part? Do you feel as if we're not being original enough about it, like it sounds like we're basically ripping off another movie and game?
    Well, to be fair, I haven't seen the game or read anything but your brief. I think the reason my initial impression was that this was a rip-off is that you've taken out the main characters of the movie and put agents of a (soon to be discovered as evil) corporation in their place. I could easily see it being a spin-off game, like The Matrix Online. The synapse device speeds up the process of dream-delving for game-play, but otherwise seems to be only a cosmetic change.

I felt the movie's main focus was action and suspense, but I'm not sure it would have worked without using the device of dream-delving to explore the psyche of its protagonist. How important is the psychological element to you? You might use it as a way to create of portrait of a particular character, or use the exploration of multiple minds to make a statement about the human condition. Another idea might be to explore the consequences of the synapse device. If that thing is constantly hooked up to the protagonist's brain, the residual fragments of victims' psyches might put her at odds with her own dreams. In other words, as a player I'd want to see the concept expanded into something that sets it apart as its own story (though not necessarily in any of the ways mentioned above).

Hope that clarifies my opinion, and that at least some of it isn't BS.

I think you're getting pretty good feedback concerning the painting, so I'll just recommend you check out this Fuseli painting: Link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They choose their artist because they like their skill sets, their outlook, their selves and their work. Would you get Michelangelo to paint cubism or an abstract image?
    This is no comfort when you're the guy they're not choosing and the rent is due. Maybe Michelangelo would like to know that they're only hiring cubists this year so he can decide whether to put some cubism in his portfolio or go ahead and get that landscaping job to see him through the summer.

I think that you think that experienced artists are like beginners -- every image is special, your style is an important part of your identity and it takes a lot of effort to change something. Experienced artists don't work like beginners. Most of us can do multiple styles. It's not a big deal to change something around, especially digitally and especially in the early stages. It's not a big deal to start over. Critique doesn't hurt us the way it hurts a beginner. When you have only one baby, being told that it's ugly is devastating. When you've had 10,000 babies and can expect 10,000 more, you can afford to have a few hundred dogs in there. It's okay.

AAANYWAY. I apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread briefly. Glad you liked the article, there's a lot more useful stuff on that blog, it's worth reading from the beginning.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

25. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, updating with some thumbnails. What do you think?

Name:  thumbs.png
Views: 156
Size:  235.8 KB

Grunler: That's some good thoughts. Unfortuantely this is a very brief course and we don't get much time to develop the deeper aspects that might be applied to this story and make it more interesting. I definitely like the idea about the device maybe messing up the protagonist's mind (or possibly physical state of being), or giving insight into the human mind. I'll keep your words in mind (hurrhurr) when continuing on working on this concept.

vineris: It's cool.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.