Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    vineris: True that. I'll make some thumbnails in the near future and see what you think of them. Also, thanks a ton for that article! It was a very informational read indeed.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I figured it might have been air brushing, I use that when I use a glowing but I was told it would've been better to use a brush. I'm still kinda new at all the tools and materials, I can't paint worth a flip, but I've been trying to get all my ideas jotted down and make a comic or something of the sort out of it.

I can't say negative things, just isn't my nature. I feel better giving someone a thumbs up and letting their imagination and their personal skills to improve and flow on their own. Compared to someone saying "You have to make it this way!" all the time. Ever play a game called Advent Rising? The art style on that old game had so much controversy, that people didn't play it for that reason alone, I think that's stupid. The characters were intentionally made as a realistic cartoon style, and I think that was awesome, it was something new, something cool. Rather than having everyone medium sized and bulky, these characters came in a range of different physiques but all given that tall look to it. That's why I have a bit of an opposition to the negative, maybe I'll get yelled at, well I can take it and it's quite funny to read people getting angry.

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 13thprotector View Post
    I can't say negative things, just isn't my nature. I feel better giving someone a thumbs up and letting their imagination and their personal skills to improve and flow on their own.
    That's great, but some of these people are facing consequences in the real world and they're here for a sanity check because later this week they are going to be talking to a client, teacher or art director. It's cute when you think you're being nice and sticking it to the mean old negative people, but it's no longer so cute when you see people suffer because no one wanted to be straight with them. If a friend came to you and asked you to check over their answers for a practice exam would you "be negative" and tell them what questions they got wrong, or would you "let them develop their imagination and personal skills", say everything is okay and watch them fail their real exam?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, I guess I don't see the big picture at times, but I'd still stick to the initial good guy attitude. A person should be told the image they are trying to take from another person's ideas in enough detail that they know what they're doing. If they have that general direction, then they know what to do, and they'll do it. I'm not saying they won't suffer, but people who want someone to portray a specific design or image aught to be told enough to portray it.

Sounds like an excuse but when someone says that they want a person, you draw a person, if it's not the person they wanted, then that's because they didn't specify the person. They choose their artist because they like their skill sets, their outlook, their selves and their work. Would you get Michelangelo to paint cubism or an abstract image?

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by knocknoc View Post
    I'm sorry, do you think you could elaborate a bit on that part? Do you feel as if we're not being original enough about it, like it sounds like we're basically ripping off another movie and game?
    Well, to be fair, I haven't seen the game or read anything but your brief. I think the reason my initial impression was that this was a rip-off is that you've taken out the main characters of the movie and put agents of a (soon to be discovered as evil) corporation in their place. I could easily see it being a spin-off game, like The Matrix Online. The synapse device speeds up the process of dream-delving for game-play, but otherwise seems to be only a cosmetic change.

I felt the movie's main focus was action and suspense, but I'm not sure it would have worked without using the device of dream-delving to explore the psyche of its protagonist. How important is the psychological element to you? You might use it as a way to create of portrait of a particular character, or use the exploration of multiple minds to make a statement about the human condition. Another idea might be to explore the consequences of the synapse device. If that thing is constantly hooked up to the protagonist's brain, the residual fragments of victims' psyches might put her at odds with her own dreams. In other words, as a player I'd want to see the concept expanded into something that sets it apart as its own story (though not necessarily in any of the ways mentioned above).

Hope that clarifies my opinion, and that at least some of it isn't BS.

I think you're getting pretty good feedback concerning the painting, so I'll just recommend you check out this Fuseli painting: Link.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 13thprotector View Post
    They choose their artist because they like their skill sets, their outlook, their selves and their work. Would you get Michelangelo to paint cubism or an abstract image?
    This is no comfort when you're the guy they're not choosing and the rent is due. Maybe Michelangelo would like to know that they're only hiring cubists this year so he can decide whether to put some cubism in his portfolio or go ahead and get that landscaping job to see him through the summer.

I think that you think that experienced artists are like beginners -- every image is special, your style is an important part of your identity and it takes a lot of effort to change something. Experienced artists don't work like beginners. Most of us can do multiple styles. It's not a big deal to change something around, especially digitally and especially in the early stages. It's not a big deal to start over. Critique doesn't hurt us the way it hurts a beginner. When you have only one baby, being told that it's ugly is devastating. When you've had 10,000 babies and can expect 10,000 more, you can afford to have a few hundred dogs in there. It's okay.

AAANYWAY. I apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread briefly. Glad you liked the article, there's a lot more useful stuff on that blog, it's worth reading from the beginning.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, updating with some thumbnails. What do you think?

Name:  thumbs.png
Views: 159
Size:  235.8 KB

Grunler: That's some good thoughts. Unfortuantely this is a very brief course and we don't get much time to develop the deeper aspects that might be applied to this story and make it more interesting. I definitely like the idea about the device maybe messing up the protagonist's mind (or possibly physical state of being), or giving insight into the human mind. I'll keep your words in mind (hurrhurr) when continuing on working on this concept.

vineris: It's cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.