Acclaimed Artist" Actually Just Stole Video Game Images - Page 6

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,168 Times in 1,710 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    "The ... video (on aesthetics) succeeds at ... conveying the difficulty of casually conveying the complexity of a philosophical issue (aesthetics) without relying on the context that is the history of philosophy. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    yep. which was why it was surprising when Kev seemed to say it (aesthetics) could be reduced to finite componants and grammar. Which was exactly what made me ask him about it in the first place.
    Firstly, your mind is lying to you about the order of events, because that isn't what began the row. It was your reaction to my analogy that the words used in aesthetic philosophy make logical sense together, and this logic was no more arbitrary than a physics equation. Go back and reread if you can't remember.

Secondly, your reading comprehension is causing most of this...

Here's what I actually wrote on page 3:

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Art itself has a finite set of base components and ways of meaning when related through nonlinear grammar. Art is a language, it has long been said, and wisely.
    Art DOES NOT EQUATE WITH Aesthetics.

How much more proof do you want that you have been the troll here?

Last edited by kev ferrara; May 16th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following

"Have you ever heard a fully satisfying answer to "What is the meaning of life?"

Yes. To add meaning to your life. Its not rocken science.

Or is it?
    I say this without irony: If this works for you, fine.

I say this with a little bit of sarcasm: Might I suggest, then, that you search for the answer to "What is Aesthetics?" in a dictionary?

Further, is it acceptable to you that your answer (re the meaning of life) is a self-referential, thought-terminating cliché to me? I could use it myself, but only as a quick comeback or as a way of getting out of an unwanted conversation.

"Imagine a 15 minute youtube video about how black holes work without being allowed to rely on the audience's graps of basic math."

Hang on so are we allowed to compare aesthetics to physics, or not?
    What?

"The one thing I would say that video succeeds at, is conveying the difficulty of casually conveying the complexity of a philosophical issue without relying on the context that is the history of philosophy. "

yep. which was why it was surprising when Kev seemed to say it could be reduced to finite componants and grammar. Which was exactly what made me ask him about it in the first place.
    I can't and won't speak on anybody's behalf. But, -everything- can be reduced to "finite components and grammar". That is the philosophical and etymological essence of analysis. But taking something apart and putting something (back) together (again) require two entirely different levels of understanding .

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    Have you ever heard a fully satisfying answer to "What is the meaning of life?"
    Yes. Forty-two.

:-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    Yes. Forty-two.

:-)

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Remember when this thread was about some Romanian douchebag?"

he had big eyebrows!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What I would like to gain from this discussion is a way to streamline my art creation process. From what I've read here, it sounds like having a deeper understanding of aesthetic theory could provide a valuable tool for composing my art.

One of the most brilliant men and painters I ever knew, a colleague, was seriously stalled in his painting because of his mind. When he simply painted and object, still life etc., he was possibly the most intuitive gifted painter I knew. The problem came when he tried to link his brilliant mind with his paint. He over thought, over analyzed, until he produced constipated convoluted messes, when he finished a painting at all.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing but understanding knowledge is wisdom. I think kev actually said it earlier that the study and academic understanding of aesthetics is a discipline requiring a lot of time and effort. I'm not sure of the value it has when it comes to streamlining the process of making a picture.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Be careful. I do not think this is necessarily true and in fact can be a pitfall.

One of the most brilliant men and painters I ever knew, a colleague, was seriously stalled in his painting because of his mind. When he simply painted and object, still life etc., he was possibly the most intuitive gifted painter I knew. The problem came when he tried to link his brilliant mind with his paint. He over thought, over analyzed, until he produced constipated convoluted messes, when he finished a painting at all.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing but understanding knowledge is wisdom. I think kev actually said it earlier that the study and academic understanding of aesthetics is a discipline requiring a lot of time and effort. I'm not sure of the value it has when it comes to streamlining the process of making a picture.
    You make an excellent point here. I admit that I haven't considered this possibility. I could very well fall in to this, as I do have the tendency to rationalize everything.

It's just the idea is attractive. I hate how I am at the mercy of trial and error. I think the holy grail to art creation would have to be, knowing how to sit down and draw something wonderful everytime you try. More often than not I'm not 100% satisfied with my own work. In my frustration I turn to knowledge, in the hopes of gaining wisdom, which might make me a better artist... or at least understand my failures.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    You make an excellent point here. I admit that I haven't considered this possibility. I could very well fall in to this, as I do have the tendency to rationalize everything.

It's just the idea is attractive. I hate how I am at the mercy of trial and error. I think the holy grail to art creation would have to be, knowing how to sit down and draw something wonderful everytime you try. More often than not I'm not 100% satisfied with my own work. In my frustration I turn to knowledge, in the hopes of gaining wisdom, which might make me a better artist... or at least understand my failures.
    I know what you're saying but think about it. Once you've done this for awhile it's really about the journey. If the journey and the destination were predictable things would get boring. I think you'll find that most artists and illustrators, even though they need a solid product every time, really live for the risk of the unknown. That new battle over the hill.

It's nice to know that you can so something well every time but the challenges are what I go for. So being satisfied 100% of the time probably means one is coasting. Coasting is only fun for awhile.

Knowledge is a great place to turn when frustrated just make sure it's not at the expense of wisdom.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never really felt that I did art for the challenge. I always thought that eventually the challenge would fade and I would become a purely awesome art making machine... if I just could figure it all out.

But in retrospect you may be right. Maybe the victories wouldn't have as much meaning to me if it wasn't always a battle.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Bruce Lee:
    "Before I knew the art a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick. But as I learned the art, A punch was nolonger just a punch nor a kick just a kick. When I understood the art a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,168 Times in 1,710 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shorinji Knight,

I took a quick look at your portfolio, and in my opinion, firstly you should be working on your understanding of form and anatomy. I recommend copying over bridgman's anatomy books into your notebooks, a few pages a day, and reading along with the text. I also recommend getting into a life drawing session a few times a week and drawing from photographs you find in various magazines. Secondly, you should be painting outside in the landscape once a week.

You also should try to find The Famous Artists course and Loomis' books. Some of these things are online or available for purchase. Gurney's books are also both recommended.

Best wishes,
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Shorinji Knight,

I took a quick look at your portfolio, and in my opinion, firstly you should be working on your understanding of form and anatomy. I recommend copying over bridgman's anatomy books into your notebooks, a few pages a day, and reading along with the text. I also recommend getting into a life drawing session a few times a week and drawing from photographs you find in various magazines. Secondly, you should be painting outside in the landscape once a week.

You also should try to find The Famous Artists course and Loomis' books. Some of these things are online or available for purchase.

Best wishes,
    kev
    Thank you for the critique. I alway appreciate someone taking the time to tell me where I'm going wrong! I will definately try to follow your suggestions here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post

That's well put Bill.
    I've just bumped into this thread, pushed my way through it and boy... is my machette in need of a sharpening.

My own answer to your last sentence would be that there is no direct causal process whereby the knowledge can be manifested as a work of art.
    It's impossible to apply the mountain of knowledge in any way that resembles a comprehensive, all-purpose tool for making.
    The knowledge, once it becomes wisdom (synthesised), can only influence itself non-directly. That is, the current passes through the coil and the magnet moves.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 3