Am I too late for art college?

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am I too late for art college?

(forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I'm not exactly searching or applying for art college right now, just working towards getting there skillwise?)

This summer, if all goes well, I plan to take traditional drawing with an instructor. When I first came to his studio to see a preview of class, I showed him some of my work. He seemed to like it somewhat, however he gave intimations that I may be too late to get into a good art college along the lines of SVA or RISD. There was a man who was painting behind him and he did say that I was pretty late already as well.

This guy is certainly prestigious, since last year three of his students got into RISD with scholarship, as well as a few in Ringling, so I don't doubt his teaching skill. It's just that there are a lot of his students that have been drilling traditional art like figure drawing, still life, oil painting and the like since they were pretty young (think elementary to middle school), and I'm pretty sure those were the people that eventually were accepted into the really good art schools.

So is it too late for me? Currently I'm a sophomore in high school. How long will it take to learn enough figure drawing and realism to render competently enough? I did take some technical drawing in Shanghai last summer for a month or so, which did help a lot, however I haven't been able to retain the skills once I came back to the states.

A sample of my work (my dA) I also have a tumblr link in my sig.

Last edited by Toriknew; May 7th, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lord, a sophomore in high school? That is PLENTY of time to start working on your skills. The secret is hard work every day. No one can tell you how long that takes, other than a long time. But certainly you don't have to be a master in order to get into school. This thread gets passed around a lot but you might find it helpful: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WTF? You're a sophomore in high school and asking this?! I can understand that you might not know much.

Two years is waaaaaaaay more than enough time to start working on your skills for an entrance portfolio. Getting into a top art school isn't hard -- working out the financial burdens it presents is.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think your brain is even fully developed by tenth grade. I highly doubt it's too late for anything.

Except a career as an olympic gymnast. Those dreams are dead. Oh, and native fluency in some languages. Being an astronaut is probably out, too, but not because you're old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sophomore.... ironic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont make fun of us : ( you are a sophomore, you have so much time man. But the hard work has to start now. If not now, when? what matters is that you start.

And to add to that, who says you have to get out of high school in spring and already attend an institution in fall? Work on your craft, see how accepted portfolios look like or post yours here and people will help you. When you have good portfolio pieces send em in.

Dont be scared, be excited you are finally getting into art making a little bit more seriously. Its fun.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Probably not an age thing. I bet it's more to do with application dates. Just keep working...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the helpful links and advice. Sorry if I offended everyone, I'm just kind of nervous, and I know it's probably a bad thing to compare myself but there's so many people in my grade that are bounds ahead of me in realism, and I look at the submissions for AP studio art and the people there who got fives and sixes, and I'm not sure how an art career would work out at this stage.

But I will give it my best shot, and see how far I'll go.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stop worrying so much.

You're too young to have that much stress in your life.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toriknew View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful links and advice. Sorry if I offended everyone, I'm just kind of nervous, and I know it's probably a bad thing to compare myself but there's so many people in my grade that are bounds ahead of me in realism, and I look at the submissions for AP studio art and the people there who got fives and sixes, and I'm not sure how an art career would work out at this stage.

But I will give it my best shot, and see how far I'll go.
    To be honest your comprehension of what their "realism" looks like is very subjective and will change and continue to change the further into art you delve. "Bounds ahead" may not necessarily be true.

Also, working in the art producing field does not require a degree. Employers do not care where you went to school, they only care if you can produce them a quality product. Though things like life drawing classes are extremely valuable. Or if you want the art school experience, that's fine too, just know that ultimately what will get you to where you want to be is HARD WORK, not school.

The most fitting advice for you is to keep having fun making art first and foremost. But if you're truly serious about an art career start looking into fundamentals of drawing; perspective, anatomy, composition etc.. This is what separates the amateurs from the serious artists.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great, last month it was twenty-year-olds worrying about being too old, now it's high school sophomores. I swear, I'd start kicking some ass if my joints weren't so achy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Totally not too late!

I flunked art Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior year and nearly flunked out of school. I had like a 2.0 or maybe even 1.something. I can't remember. It was awful, though. Had a rough childhood. Got my head on straight during my junior summer. My senior year I got into a tech school during my senior year, supplemental to my normal classes to get the credit I needed to graduate. Because of that, I brought my gpa up to 3.6 or something. Had everything squared away to go to college, and then my mom had a stroke and I ended up not even able to go to college anyway. I had no choice but to just start a career as an artist.

So, I didn't go to college, I was not a good artist in high school, and now I've been a professional artist for 12 years. HOW? I went crazy absorbing all the books I could find, drawing at least 8 hours a day (because I read an article that said a pro artist had to draw for at least 8 hours a day, so I emulated that), and just turned myself into an artist after a year or so of really going at it, and treating it like I was already a professional and had all these projects and deadlines I had to meet. I started getting as soon as I got out of high school. Small stuff at first, made like $3,000 my first year, probably $12,000 my second year, and have been making an exponentially better living each year as my qualifications grow. No college to pay back.

Some of my friends who went to college, got their art degrees, are still not making money as artists and have all those college fees to pay back.

Now, I'm not telling you NOT to go to college. I'm just trying to open you up to the possibilities.

What kind of artist do you want to be? Comics? Film? Gaming concept art?

All of those positions are more interested in seeing great work than a degree. Certain more technical jobs DO require a degree before they'll even look at you. But for the art I do I've never even been asked for my education information. Seriously NOT ONCE. I've worked for every major comics publisher, game companies, major TV and film companies, magazines, trading cards, etc. All over the place. Not once did the ask for education. Most of the time they don't even ask for resume. Very rarely.

So, if you're headed for a job you know requires a degree, go for it!! But, if not ... you might want to save the like $30,000 you'll be struggling to pay off for years. I feel like that concept is frowned upon, but I feel it's relevant.

This is getting long-winded, but no you're not too late to go to college... that was your original question. HA! Absolutely go if you want and if you feel it's necessary to get you where you want to go.

Ray Dillon - Artist & Writer
    CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)
    • Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones" (IDW)
    • Peter S. Beagle "The Last Unicorn" (IDW; NYT Best-Seller!)
    .COM | Blog | Sketch | FB | uTube | DA | TWITTER!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray Dillon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and the tech school I mentioned going to was in a small town in Kansas. Not the most advanced program. It was 2 years, but I only went to one to get the credit to graduate high school. I was introduced to Photoshop, though, which of course is what I use extensively now. I worked like a mad man at K-Mart and random local Kansas art jobs (like a t-shirt or sign) + mowing lawns, just anything I could do and got my first Mac G4 and the internet. That's how it all got going for me.

Aren't I done yakking yet??

CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Dillon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HA! Me again!

Okay, the thing I forgot to talk about is your art. It's very good for your age and lightyears ahead of what I was doing when I started. And I'm assuming you already have a computer, a tablet or cintiq, photoshop, and the internet, right? So if I could do it starting with no equipment, money, connections, exposure, or skill, you can do it a million times easier and faster.

But, go to school if that's right for you.

Someone get the long stage hook thing. Get me outta here!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Stop worrying so much.

You're too young to have that much stress in your life.
    Absolutely right there. If I had one bit of advice I would hope could make a difference that would be to enjoy it. Be serious about it but have fun at the same time. Anyway, good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my oldest fellow student on my painting BA was 75 when we graduated.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cro-magnon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do SVA and RISD have an age limit for application?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, of course there's no age limit and no, of course it's not too late.

While I agree you shouldn't stress quite so much, I do think it's wise to be taking it seriously and to start chipping away at it soon as possible.

Do not take your entrance portfolio lightly; a decent scholarship will save you tens of thousands of dollars.

Likewise, do not take art school (in general) lightly; it is very easy to squander your time and opportunity there.

So, assuming your instructor is competent, then yes you should be drilling as much as possible to get your skills up.

Push yourself. Put together the best entrance portfolio you can.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Lambrakis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a number of classmates over the age of 40 and a couple over the age of 65. Some classmates that I thought were my age were actual 30-something year old people. I thought since I started my BFA at the age of 20 I would be older than everyone else when really I was younger than everyone else. Granted...I didn't go to an art school but you get the point.

Give yourself a head start by not worrying and doing the work to the best of your abilities. Push yourself; I am sure you can do it if you really want to.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, I think taking your education seriously is the wisest decision. There are many paths in life you can take and art may not be your true finding. However, if you're educated there are other paths you may enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd tell him to go suck a fat one, being respectful of coarse. I didn't start drawing till Junior year of high school and I was pretty terrible at it. Now I have a year left at a private art school, and I am already working in the art and design field. just takes some passion and perseverance. I will say by your gallery you are much farther along then I was.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started really drawing when I was finishing my junior year, and only got serious when I was a senior. 3 months into my senior year, my art was interrupted by some very serious family issues that went on for half a year, and I literally had ZERO time to draw. And then I had to take a gap year because I didn't get to practice. So...I guess I technically started drawing after I graduated from high school? Your not late at all dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by n3raz View Post
    Well, same problem here. I am currently 21 years old and only thinking to apply to ACCD, however i think that this is too late because when i graduate i will be about 25 or so, but at the same time there will be a lot of 18 years old students who graduate at 21 or 22, so, who need 25 guy when there are a lot of younger graduates?
    I think that age do not matter when you are studying, but it matters when you're searching for job.
    Yeah you should definitely give up then, you're way too old. Your right, employment in the art field comes down to how old your much more so than how good at making art you are.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to gnarl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    21 is not "a lot younger" than 25. It's NOTHING. You guys really aren't doing much to shatter the "youthful narcissism and lack of perspective" stereotype. But, whatever. Do you want to think it's too late? Fine, go ahead. Go do something useful with your life. There are too many wannabe artists out there anyway, anybody who would legitimately be discouraged by something this stupid deserves to be.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, same problem here. I am currently 21 years old and only thinking to apply to ACCD, however i think that this is too late because when i graduate i will be about 25 or so, but at the same time there will be a lot of 18 years old students who graduate at 21 or 22, so, who need 25 guy when there are a lot of younger graduates?
    I think that age do not matter when you are studying, but it matters when you're searching for job.
    Sorry, but you couldn't be more WRONG about this. The truth is probably closer to this: just getting accepted into ACCD will be a bigger challenge than getting a job after graduating from ACCD.

Last edited by Greg Lambrakis; May 11th, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: brevity

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Lambrakis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,988 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're 21 and don't have a 100k a year concept art job you are basically worthless and should sell yourself off for body parts.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    If you're 21 and don't have a 100k a year concept art job you are basically worthless and should sell yourself off for body parts.
    What would be cool is if you could sell yourself as a "host" for old guys. Alas...someday...

It is pretty funny when 21 year olds think youth is wasted on the 18 year olds.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever you go into, it will probably require years of training or climbing the ladder to get into a decent job, why would art be any different? Besides, People have career changes in their forties. Age is not as important as a good portfolio and the kind of experience you have. It all boils down to what you do, no one cares what age you are but you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was working professionally at 18 and getting big jobs, but my young age actually made it more difficult to be taken seriously and get the rates I deserved, especially any time I'd attend a meeting in LA or NY or be on a set or anything like that. I would ALWAYS get comments about being a "youngin" and stuff like that. Makes contract negotiations a lot tougher. After I turned 25 that started to go away. Now I'm 29 and on level with the clients, producers, etc. and it goes very smoothly.

So you don't need to worry about being too old at 21. If the work is good at any age you'll get the job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest I barely had any observational drawings in my portfolio and i didn't really start getting 'serious' about art until 11th grade. And well now I attend Pratt Institute and I got into SVA. Maybe not RISD (Didn't apply though) but I think I would've picked Pratt or SVA even if I got in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2