Art: Orc Cook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Orc Cook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Orc Cook

A concept for what a cook for an Orc tribe might look like for the Wizards of the Coast Art Test.
    Link: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/feature.a...ure/dndarttest

I wanted to move away from a stereotype that cooks were fat and nasty. Since he's an Orc, I thought that he would be pretty big or strong since they would be hacking away at a lot of things and tearing animals or bodies apart to cook. Since he's cooking for the tribe he'd be pretty busy tearing up a lot of animals.

I'm not sure what the animal is exactly, I had two ideas:
    - His rag to wipe blood off of...
    or
    - His mobile maggot farm for that nice touch of spice to round off the dishes...

Do you think this fits within the DnD style and how well was the design executed?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He certainly looks like he enjoys his job.

Suggestions for the concept:
    The cut of the apron is a nice touch to distinguish his garb from a regular orc, but were it not for the garlic band on his arm I might just consider him another cleaver-wielding bloody orc.
    Consider more accoutrement and tools one uses while cooking.

Minor suggestions:
    - The arched footwear seems too modern for an orc.
    - If he's tearing animals apart and standing near and open flame all day, he's gonna gleaming with sweat from heat and splatter (grease not just blood). The fur trim around his belt would be dirtier and damp, less fluffy wool and more like wet dog hair.

Composition wise though, while his proportions match the D&D orcs, your lighting needs work around the left side of his body, deeper contrast, and continue the really dark shadow of the pelt at his back along the rest of the arm facing us.
    - There needs to be better line definition around his armpit and where the pelt paw meets his neck, they kind of blend together.
    - The muscles need some tweaking too, the bicep on his right arm covers the crook of his elbow, and he doesn't seem to have any pectoral muscles.

Last edited by InfernoKing; May 6th, 2012 at 02:08 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right. He should be pretty sweaty, I didn't think of him being next to a fire all day and what the charring would do. I'm going to add in those details. I'll figure out a way to add in more cutlery or more cook like things to his garb without going too stereotypical.

He does need more contrast, the lighting is pretty weak. I noticed the image just doesn't really pop and that could be one of the factors. I'll make a bunch of tweaks and render it better and repost in a bit.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm i think you shouldn't show direct violence like that. Blood is ok for the topic but a headless animal can be too much for lots of people and there's no reason actually to draw something like that. Anyway you're forgetting to tell us with the drawing what he is and what he does because by the design itself it's not clear at all what his job is except for chopping things but every dnd orc do that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True true. I was having trouble trying to make him unique while not putting him into a blatant chef attire.

I guess in order to make it work he will need some of the standard gear. Originally I wanted the character to still look like he goes out every once in awhile to bash some skulls just for the sake of it.

I've got a lot of tweaking to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what hitsu said is right, for this style of art I think the hacked up animal is a little too excessive. You wouldn't see that on a war craft character I don't think.

I'd also like to say his arm seems a little too huge as well as his fist.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.