Guaging Art Skillz with Handwriting style
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Guaging Art Skillz with Handwriting style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Guaging Art Skillz with Handwriting style

Hi, New to the forums. Quite new to art as well. I've liked looking at it for a while though, because of its aesthetic qualities and what not.

I've been thinking about hand writing and it showing an artist style. I personally think handwriting is an art. If you think about it letters are symbols that represent intangible values, somewhat like all art does as well.

Do you think handwriting has any correlation between good and bad art?

As in better hand writers have better time learning and doing art, vice versa, or worse hand writers have an unique style about their art?

Thanks for feedback.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have on occasion wondered about these questions myself. I have a horrible handwriting; perhaps that explains my inability to get any refinement into my art. :-)

And then, in the Middle Ages, when they produced all those spectacular illuminated books, handwriting was very much an art of sorts. On the other hand, much of their visual art now strikes us as crude and naive (although I have to say I find much of it extremely beautiful, however lacking in modern technique).

On the whole, I don't think there is necessarily a strong correlation. It may be instructive to look at the handwriting of some prominent artists and compare it with that of non-artists. But I don't think there will be much of a correlation, especially now that a whole new generation of people are growing up with keyboards and never learn the art of handwriting at all anymore. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I don't believe it's a strong correlation too in theory. But in practice maybe different results. As while you're developing in art, I wonder if you develop in handwriting... it would seem logical since handwriting would be considered an art.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think there is any correlation. For one, good handwriting is about making consistent repetitive strokes; good art is about making varied strokes appropriate to the form.

But it's irrelevant, because no one is taught real handwriting anymore. Most Americans seem to use print letters, for instance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed people's sketching style is similar to their handwriting. Ie, scrawlier handwriting, more flowy handwriting, larger loops, heavier weights, don't dot i's ==> somehow translates into sketches.

Interestingly enough, this correlation seems to become less as the artist develops their sketching style and not their handwriting. I remember four, five years ago now my sister pointed out how similar my handwriting and sketching were--but now, it's far less noticeable.

so..
    may relate to style/stylistic choices? Yes.
    relates to quality/ability? No. (it's just a bizarre idea--what qualifies as "good" handwriting in the first place?)
    And the correlation seems to lessen as the artist improves.

I don't think this discussion can really get much farther without examples of handwriting and sketches from specific artists, preferably as the two developed over a period of years, from student times to professional life.

My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BardScars View Post
    I've been thinking about hand writing and it showing an artist style. I personally think handwriting is an art. If you think about it letters are symbols that represent intangible values, somewhat like all art does as well.
    Not a very good analogy... Letters are fixed, predefined symbols. Images are not. In fact, the first step to learning how to draw is usually to stop thinking of drawing in terms of "symbols".

Do you think handwriting has any correlation between good and bad art
    Well, if I'm judging by my handwriting, I'd say no. I swear the better I get at art the worse my handwriting gets. And the other creative people in my family have notoriously illegible handwriting.

(Not that I ever bothered learning "good" handwriting anyway... They taught us cursive in grade school, but I stopped using it as soon as it was no longer compulsory. Damned if I can do anything but printed letters now.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And then there's Da Vinci writing backwards... What does THAT mean?

(Oh wait, it doesn't mean anything!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    And then there's Da Vinci writing backwards... What does THAT mean?
    That he's awesome! Or, you know, nothing

I have really neat handwriting and I like the pages I write on to look neat. If I mess up at the beginning, I'll rip the page out to start on a clean one. I'm the same with sketching. I hate disorganized sketches. My thumbnails are always in a neat grid. Same with gesture drawings.

This probably just means I'm anal retentive. About things on paper, at least. I'm a disorganized person off of paper.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have a number of different writing styles depending on my mood, how fast I have to get things down and if anyone else will have to read it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Who even handwrites anything but a scrawled note any more? But no, no correlation, imo. I started early in mechanical drawing/architecture where "lettering" was a major part of your work, so adopted that "style" as my everyday handwriting. I often get nice comments on my writing, and maybe it relates a little to my design work, but nothing to do with my fine art.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, New to the forums. Quite new to art as well. I've liked looking at it for a while though, because of its aesthetic qualities and what not.

As in better hand writers have better time learning and doing art, vice versa, or worse hand writers have an unique style about their art?
    No.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for feedback.
    And No.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've consciously made my handwriting better by focusing on what is wrong and making it a habit of correcting any error before I do so.

I figured it out by using the same type of visualization of what I wanted to write like I use for drawing.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    BardScars, the error you are making is in thinking that "art skills" are one, unified thing.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreeing with about everyone I don't belive it really has much of a connection, my handwriting varies from a mad chicken attacking my paper to completely illegible even to myself. ^^;, I have grotesque handwriting all in short, I've been trying to improve over the years to no avail.

I think handwriting is kinda like art style in the sense that it's the way you draw/paint lines..........if you were to compare it to making a photographic painting in under 5 seconds. If I had the same time I use to draw as I do to write a multi-page paper it could be comparable.

so nope it's complete different, and I really see no correlation, unless you're making a picture out of text...

Members who have read this thread: 1