Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Input on Design

Thanks
    @Giacomo, Lhune: Thanks for the input guys. Decided to start studying skeletal structure, how the muscles form on the skeleton, etc. if I am ever going to draw the human form correctly. I own Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist, Artistic Anatomy, and Andrew Loomis' books, but I always relied on observation. It ain't easy being told something you felt proud of being criticized, but if I wanted mindless praise and pats on the back I'd go someplace else. Thank you for your advice.

@TinyBird, that actually sounds awesome. Lu Bu was skilled with both the spear and bow so having Miaren actually competent with a bow sounds excellent for her character.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexon View Post
    ...I own Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist, Artistic Anatomy, and Andrew Loomis' books, but I always relied on observation.
    Again, not to be too much of a dick, but you're not relying on observation--at least not on this piece. You're drawing it entirely out of your head, and it shows.

There's nothing wrong with studying muscle-and-bone anatomy, but the issue here is your ability (or lack thereof) to accurately convey a specific pose. Rather than copying Bridgman, your time would be better spent putting in the due diligence of finding reference material (live model, Google image search, shooting your own reference photos, whatever) and using it to get the gesture and foreshortening right.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Again, not to be too much of a dick, but you're not relying on observation--at least not on this piece. You're drawing it entirely out of your head, and it shows.

There's nothing wrong with studying muscle-and-bone anatomy, but the issue here is your ability (or lack thereof) to accurately convey a specific pose. Rather than copying Bridgman, your time would be better spent putting in the due diligence of finding reference material (live model, Google image search, shooting your own reference photos, whatever) and using it to get the gesture and foreshortening right.
    Yeah, good point. Just not thinking straight the moment. Trying to look for sword poses, but nothing's really caught my eye. Maybe should just look up general poses and start some gesture drawings? Posemaniacs looks good for this specific purpose as well as Artsyposes. I don't know. Trying to gather resources here.

Looks like it's best to postpone this design until I get a better sense of the human form. Been relying to much on drawing what's on my mind.

Thanks
    Looks like it's best to postpone this design until I get a better sense of the human form. Been relying to much on drawing what's on my mind.
    No, it's best to do the research until you have what you need to make the design work. Solve the damn problem---don't quit and put it off to the indefinite future. Free advice: Posemaniacs and similar sites are generally pretty bad sources--weird camera angles, awkward Poser-poses. If you can't shoot or Google your own photos, DeviantArt stock photos are probably your best bet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Yeah, good point. Just not thinking straight the moment. Trying to look for sword poses, but nothing's really caught my eye.
    If you have access to a stick and a digital camera that's easily solved. Bonus: you're less likely to choose an uncomfortable or improbable pose that way.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    This whole thread is out of my league when it comes to anatomy/pose/composition. I would only mention, about what you where asking for in the first place, that reference is a very good muse when it comes to design. You are trying to repeat the specific design language of a certain era, and therefore you should know that design language.

Example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2