Sketchbook: Alex's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Alex's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Alex's Sketchbook

It'd be okay if this thread was removed now, I have started over with a new sketchbook. I just felt it was necessary.

Some WIPs, gonna add more soon enough. These are for my AP portfolio breadth. The Mutant Western Barber is for my drawing 1 final in high school. We have to do 7 pieces... They revolve around the theme of "Strange Wild West Creature Designs" They will contain creatures who have occupations in a functioning society.

Wild West Mutant Barber

Can't see ALL the details due to my poor photography, scanning is out of the question, I HATE it.

Ship Captain, face constructed from imagination, poor proportions I know, his nose is too long, and his lips are pursed...

That's it for today, please give me some feedback if possible.

Last edited by ObscureMechanism; June 24th, 2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's probable that nobody will read this, but I had a really weak start to a sketchbook, and I'm trapped within the final weeks of my junior year... Finals. I feel like I'm going nowhere...

-Alex Lee Davis

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you only draw faces? The shading looks pretty good, however, they look kinda flat. Why don't you try and upload some studies for us, and tell us what you want to draw? That way, we can help you better.

The nose on the bottom one looks a little narrow. Try sketching in outlines of the things you want to put before drawing them in, and use some reference to guide your proportions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Milou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your start is not as bad as MindCandyMan. And look at him now!

Here's a tip: for the next characters, try to work on the head's structure a bit more before adding detail. You can learn structure from the Loomis method or Reilly's method before adding the details.

You could also try full figure characters. Work on what their clothes' designs would be like, for instance. Do small studies first before moving on to the finished work.

How long until you have to turn in your work for your finals?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, to those of you curious, I've already turned in my finals, a few were incomplete and I had to dig into some older finished work. I will post them all in their current state tomorrow when my teacher is done with her critique of them. I did the best I could to create quality work, but it was just so draining and stressful to a point of actual physical stress which I haven't felt in a while. I am exhausted, but I don't plan on giving up, and nobody thinks I should, so I won't. I may take a short break though, but I usually find myself saying that and I never do, but this assignment really took a toll on me. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you so much for the responses.

-Alex Lee Davis

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

I got my portfolios back today, I received a 95 on the assignment itself. I will post the pieces in their current state soon. I was a bit busy today. School is out for the summer. I feel almost saddened in a way. I am also a little freaked out, I'm gonna be a senior in high school next year. It's strange, I watched all of the seniors just disappear. It makes me wonder where they are going, makes me think about how ill-defined our paths we lead are, and where I will fit in also, hopefully where I would like to be, a concept artist. Reilly's Method really helped me a tremendous amount with the construction of my faces. I need to practice with depth and perspectives some more. Also I should really start practicing drawing full figure character designs. Baby steps. Thank you all very much. I will continue working and posting my progress. Pictures soon.

-Alex Lee Davis

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Bump

Bump. Also, I may start anew with some stronger and uh, *AHEM*, finished, work to be critiqued. Right now I am away from my natural habitat and it is kinda difficult to get any work done, partly because I am lazy and a procrastinator, and partly because there are lots of people around that want to spend time with me. I have to balance work with social time and exercise, etc. It is difficult, especially when you are all in the same home. There is a scanner and a nice camera here, so hopefully I will start a fresh sketchbook while I am here and provide some more info about my interests.

- For those of you that have been looking at my sluggish boring and currently soul-less husk of a sketchbook, please stay with me. I am going to make a new one, and this time put some more planning into it. I want to get involved with this beautiful community. I have no structure in my life right now as school is out. I have to create my own structure, I have planned to create a sketching group with some of my friends from school who are also interested in pursuing art to practice together. Will keep you all posted. I feel like a broken record already, but don't give up on me!

Last edited by ObscureMechanism; June 20th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
    -Alex Lee Davis

SKETCHBOOK

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.