Animator and Character Designer: Do I need a degree or skill( Self taught )?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Animator and Character Designer: Do I need a degree or skill( Self taught )?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animator and Character Designer: Do I need a degree or skill( Self taught )?

I want to be a character designer and an animator and to be honest as much as I want to go to art school I don't have the money to pay for it and I don't want to be in debt for years+. I noticed that most schools now focus on the technolgy side of things and I realized that I need more of the traditional skills in order to excell.

I was thinking of being self taught or possibly going to a small community college to take drawing classes as well as posting work on youtube and conceptart.org for critiques.

My background is small. I've only been drawing for four months and have made decent progress ( not drawing stick figures anymore). I believe I know what to study and practice. Composition, lighting, figure drawing, perspective and anatomy right? Along with some books on acting and storytelling?

My overall goal is to work for a decent size comapany for a project or two and then begin to start my own animation studio and publishing company.

What do you guys think? Should I try to go to a big art school and self taught with books?

If with books, which ones?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read this already! lol
    That's why I asked here.

Could you reccommend to me some community schools with good arts programs?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to that little small jc in your area.

to be honest its easier to grind out foundational classes at a community college then revisit this subject once you've build the foundation. Drawing and life drawing, hell you might as well do painting too.

All I know is stuff we got in california...

SCAD is there in GA but you want to avoid cash spending,

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects

Fresh2draw.co.cc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like something I would right myself. Id say do what Im doing and teach yourself as well as taking some foundational classes at a community college. I think that the more people you can learn from the more you'll learn. As far as books, I cant recommend any specifics, but definitely pick up a solid artist's anatomy book. Also I try my best to work my imagination as much as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say take your time on fundamentals and learn from net or books. Though now days there are Great tutorials available. Check them out.

riven phoenix--------> http://www.alienthink.com/
    (Best for people who are new to Anatomy. And even if you don't know how to draw!!)

SCOTT ROBERTSON-->http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/110/
    (Fundamentals )

These 2 will cover up your fundamentals. You will have enough knowledge to make a decent Portfolio to get into art schools, And who knows you may get some scholarships.
    But, I would Highly recommend to get yourself into some kind of art environment or any college. You will cover up much faster.
    I'm also a self taught and I know how much time I've wasted searching on net for the right tutorials.
    Best..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Efesyric View Post
    I want to be a character designer and an animator and to be honest as much as I want to go to art school I don't have the money to pay for it and I don't want to be in debt for years+. I noticed that most schools now focus on the technolgy side of things and I realized that I need more of the traditional skills in order to excell.

I was thinking of being self taught or possibly going to a small community college to take drawing classes as well as posting work on youtube and conceptart.org for critiques.

My background is small. I've only been drawing for four months and have made decent progress ( not drawing stick figures anymore). I believe I know what to study and practice. Composition, lighting, figure drawing, perspective and anatomy right? Along with some books on acting and storytelling?

My overall goal is to work for a decent size comapany for a project or two and then begin to start my own animation studio and publishing company.

What do you guys think? Should I try to go to a big art school and self taught with books?

If with books, which ones?
    It would be helpful if you posted your current work, or a link to your site.

Since you're a beginner, I'd recommend taking at least SOME formal drawing courses at a community college. It will be affordable, low-risk, low-stress, and you can get some real world, hands on drawing experience with an instructor to help guide you.

You don't need to think about all the other questions until you've tried step #1, community college art course.

Members who have read this thread: 4