Gothic Interior; WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gothic Interior; WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gothic Interior; WIP

I volunteered to draw a scene from someone's written work, but then I realized I don't know how to draw in symmetry. The circle thing in the center is supposed to be some beam of light gateway to some other universe and I chose gargoyles because it's supposed to be an intimidating and omnimus aura. I plan to crop the left side after I'm done.

I don't want to flip it in in photoshop or something because I think it's more cheap/cheating than time saving, at my current skill level.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless this was intended, all of the gargoyles appear to be facing directions other than perpendicular to the wall. The one closest on the right seems to almost face the viewer while the one just next to it faces away from the viewer, but with a turned head. The one on the left has a similar problem. Of course, ignore this if that was intentional.

Also, if the origin of the beam of light is supposed to be the focus of the piece, I suggest you make it bigger. The most I can make out is just a triangle and some lines, so I'm confused how it's supposed to resemble a gateway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to w00tf0rfr00t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think in terms of basic shapes: Spheres, Boxes, Cylinders, and Cones. Build everything out of these basic shapes, and build them in perspective. It will help you a lot if you draw front and side views of your objects, and reference them as you build your object in perspective. You need to know what it looks like from every angle.

Also, as a bit of more advanced advice; this composition isnít really going to serve you. Having everything so close to the vanishing point and on the horizon, really flattens stuff out, and makes for difficult foreshortening. When youíre trying to decide on an angle to use; try to figure out how the environment will serve you. Pause movies and tv shows and see how they use the environments to draw your attention to specific areas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.