Needing a critique before moving on.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Needing a critique before moving on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Needing a critique before moving on.

I need a critique on this guy before I erase the name and little squiggles around him and add a background.

And I know it's anime-esque, I'm gradually working on that and getting things more realistic, so yeah.

Name:  Alum Isa Greystone.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  252.2 KB

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya. I have a couple suggestions.

This thing could do without the crosshatching. Actually, I think you should try out a more 'cell-shaded' approach. Good linework, as I may or may not have stated somewhere before, is awful tricky in Photoshop even with a tablet so what I'm going to do here is explain a technique that works with any kind of lines. Usually, if your lines are clean and crisp enough and all area's to be filled with color are closed, you can just use the wand tool to make a color layer but to me that's kind of stressy to keep in mind while drawing and kills my creativity dead.
    So.
    Keep your lines on a separate layer in Photoshop. Preferably, set the layer blending mode to 'multiply' and put a new layer underneath where you first paint some sort of 'mask' in a single solid color at max opacity and with a hard brush set to max flow. Click the little grid-like icon in the layers palette to set the layer to lock the transparent pixels of that layer. This way, you can henceforward paint anywhere you like but it won't stick to the area outside of your 'mask'.
    Now add all the colors you want. Make the individual colored areas as clean and solid as you can; use the lasso tool if you have to, or the wand. Don't yet add shadows.
    Shadowing can be done in a couple of ways. Try out this one:
    On a separate layer, above the color layer but under the lineart, create area's where there will be shadow suing the lasso tool, preferably. If you 'Group with Previous' (CTRL+g), none of the shadows will extend beyond the colored pixels in the layer below. Play with layer opacity and blending modes to get a kind of shadow you like. You can do this kind of thing with highlights, too, by making a separate layer and using a light color and for example the 'screen' mode.
    If you like, you can add a bit of blur to soften the edges of the shadows.

Piece of cake. Now you try.

EDIT: the other thing would be the sword looking off-balance and a pain to wield. Place the center of gravity more towards the hands by either shortening the blade, making it more slender, or otherwise lighter, or making the grip longer or by adding a pummel or other decoration to balance out the weight.
    'Anime-swords-can-be-huge-without-looking-heavy' be damned. If it looks awkward, it's awkward. You're not scaring me with a sword that looks like it's made of foam.

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Line width on the sword's blade don't match the rest of the image, either.

There, NOW I'll stop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As I said before

Spend more time drawing real objects and studying how their shapes
    and perceived colours are defined by light and shadow and spend less
    time messing about in digital programs.

I'm just seeing you repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand the sword and the shadows are a little off, I've been trying to get the idea for the sword right for a year now, just can't seem to get it right. I'll go off and make it slimmer and a bit lighter, but all the other stuff you said seemed a bit complicated and I don't think my program can do it all too well, but I'll have to keep your directions open so I can figure it a bit and try making it better.

And yes, I have been drawing a lot more real items, though it's all in my actual sketchbook, this was just sorta a quickly thrown together image of one of my characters. I felt the urge to do it just before bed time, so it's a bit thrown together. Sorry if I still make mistakes, I'm trying to gradually get better.

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

Apathy is Death

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 13thprotector View Post
    I have been drawing a lot more real items, though it's all in my actual sketchbook,
    I don't think "possibly five or less" counts as "a lot more", especially when it's unlikely you drew all of those from real life. And they're all done digitally to boot.
    Pen, paper, and a borrowed digital camera if you don't own a scanner or your own.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry if I still make mistakes, I'm trying to gradually get better.
    You seem like such a genuinely nice person. I'm not trying to be harsh
    to make you feel bad, I only help people that I think need a kick
    in the ass to unlock their true potential, which I can see you have.

Don't be sorry, just work on improving. I know you -love- anime
    and fantasy characters and working digitally, but whenever you
    submit a piece to this section, I just feel like a broken record.

Just do me one favour, lay off the soft brushes for lighting/glowy
    effects. To me its the worst aspect of this whole image. A strong
    magically independent source of light like that is bound to have an
    effect on the surfaces around it.

But, as said, pencil and paper and the real objects and people around
    you. Tried and tested its the only way to improve. Having a love for digital
    programs is just not enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I could use my digital camera, I guess I should, haven't been to the store to get a scanner as of yet, so I'll be back with some photos of my 'items'.

Yes, I am nice, and I can take a kicking a round a lot better than most people. Don't worry, I'll fix this and get some just non-objective stuff with my camera. I do need to find the right size for the glow affect, it's a key thing for this guy's race and everything, it makes them stick out and has a long drawn out story behind it.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you misunderstand Star Eater. He wants you to paint on the surfaces in the appropriate colors (and values) where the light of the glow would logically touch; not place a half-opaque blotch on top. It does not look like light, but like coloured mist.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnem Mee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using a digital air brush tool, and when I use it too small then it's more like a dot than it is the misty light, I need to make it bigger and have it more spread out than what I had originally done on this one. That's what I meant, and it's the only tool on my program that even comes close to a lighted color rather than some big blotch of ink.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using a digital air brush tool, and when I use it too small then it's more like a dot than it is the misty light, I need to make it bigger and have it more spread out than what I had originally done on this one. That's what I meant, and it's the only tool on my program that even comes close to a lighted color rather than some big blotch of ink.
    That's only because you do not have enough practical
    experience with colour and painting. Avoid the digital airbrush
    tool. It is a terrible liability for new users. Rather use a
    hard brush and play with the opacity settings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never thought about the opacity, I know I used it on the marker tool to make it a lighter marker, but that's about it. I guess I could use the fine camel tool that I usually use for shadows as the light....

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why are all your inks all so uneven?

When you start a new drawing, make sure you make it at least twice as large as the final version is going to be.

Make an underdrawing first. Turn the underdrawing layer to 25% opacity. Put a new inking layer on top. Use the pencil tool. Zoom in to ink and only use one line to define an edge. If the line sucks erase and try again, that's how you learn. If you get really tired of screwing up, draw the sucky line and then clean it up at extreme zoom using the pencil and eraser tools. Spend a little extra time making it look good, every time you slack off everybody sees it in your art. If the inks look good zoomed out to 50% or 25%, then they'll be good in the final.

When you're done erase or hide the underdrawing layer, make a new layer, set it to multiply and colour underneath the lines. You won't be able to use fill, but you won't get those little white dots at the edges.

When you're done everything, save the file as is, with all the layers and stuff in case you need to make changes later. Then flatten the picture, reduce the size to a web-viewing size, save a small version of the picture (don't overwrite your big file) and post to the web.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ink unevenness might be because I used the smudge blender, I knew I should've gone with the grainy blender.... or it might be the different tools, I used paint bucked then went over with fine camel to do the shadows, and I just took the colors from where they were and darkened them, I should've added some highlights too now that I'm looking at it.

Well, this pic was rather large before, I had to shrink it down twice before I could put it onto this site.

Also I usually go back and fix the dots on the edges with either an eraser or the scratch pen tool, it apparently has no color and just pulls the color to where you want. But I often miss spots, that's my bad.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Avoid using any kind of smudge tool for now. My advice would
    be again to play with opacity settings on hard brushes and use
    this in conjunction with the dropper/colour sampler.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The ink unevenness might be because I used the smudge blender, I knew I should've gone with the grainy blender....
    Why would you even use a blender with your inks?!
    Seriously, get a brush and real ink and practice inking with that.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a digital piece, I wanted it to look a bit more defined, I'm not even sure to call it ink or pixels.

I'll go play with the opacity when I get back home and try fixing, or even redoing the image. Looks like a lot to fix.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this better? Even a little bit?

Name:  Alum Isa Greystone2.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  186.4 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Needs more brick.

I don't think I can give efficient, effective advice without parroting the other folks around here, but since you once said you wanted to 'gradually' improve, let's try babysteps.

First of all though I'd like to know how you start a drawing. Tell me how come that your character is posed the way it is, looking the way it does, etc.
    Let's leave out tools and programs for now. Do you have a place to go for reference and inspiration, do you do quick preliminary sketches, thumbnails, do you jot down action lines and a simplified skeleton or do you start with a floating face?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I start off with the head, I do a skeleton after yes, but that's all erased as I move through the body, and I use the clothes as the body. The pose is completely ripped from another picture and I do not have the picture, it was in a book.

I've been drawing this character for years, he is my favorite base character to work with. I just move along with how I feel the character should be, like to weave with his attitude, I made the personality first and built off that for the character and he has an intricate backstory.
    I try to do everything to base off the story and make the most of what I can do with him in such a way, I am making a book and am trying to make a comic of it as well. My friends are getting the website set up so I need to master my skills upon this guy and all the others.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You would probably benefit from watching how a comic-book-style artist works.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...g&feature=plcp
    Watch the whole "Evolution of a Digital Image" series.

(Don't get distracted by the whole "but I'm doing _manga style_ thing", this method can be applied to any cartooning style that requires clean inks. In fact if you're trying to do manga your inks need to be even thinner and cleaner.)

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you mentioned this is your favourite character and youve been working on him for years; now its time to try something completely new. kicking yuorself out of your comfort zone is hard but it really results in rapid growth.

try drawing from life at speed, say on a bus. or enter the weekly comunity activities here, they give you briefs youd never otherwise have picked to try your problem solving and drawing skills on. thats a great way to try new things, test yourself and create cool new work for your portfolio. and youll feel great for trying something new and succeeding at it.
    and the cool stuff you learn can be put to work making your old characters more awesome too.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a bit manga style, I know, but I've tried changing it up by a lot, and it is different compared to many. I've been moving more into the dark horse stuff and trying to get a bit like them.

I draw several other characters, mind you, but I come back to him in order to test new styles and skills I learn. He's sort of like my practice dummy in sorts.

I'll have to start doing the more in life thing more often, haven't been doing it since standardized testing reared it's ugly face at me, and I don't get out much so that's another problem with me. I'll try to get all my stuff put up, I'm in the process of taking photos of most of them as of lately.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this better? Even a little bit?

Name:  Alum Isa Greystone2.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  186.4 KB
    Honest and brutal answer..NO.

It feels like your showing us the same image again.

Last edited by Artimatum; May 7th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've only shown it twice.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops..

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I've changed a lot to it, going to go tonight and try to fix some more up as well, just trying to see how much more I need to do, and doing it one point at a time.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is very, very manga. If Manga was the Borg you'd be totally assimilated.

I get the feeling you memorised the shapes you need for faces, hair, etc, instead of thinking three-dimensionally and drawing volumes. This is why your shadows aren't convincing, for example.
    If you are always going to use this approach, mimicking poses, anatomy, expressions from another manga-artist (manga is already an extremely stylised version of reality, this is like studying anatomy by looking at stickfigures, so to speak) you'e placing severe restrictions on yourself: whatever you'll draw will keep looking arbitrary, done-before, cooky-cutter, the same. Without learning to handle volumes, there'll be no adequately placing your subjects in a scene or environment, no adequate lighting or believable shadows, no perspective and forshortening, no convincable new designs such as that sword that keeps clashing with the rest of the picture, no unique expressions or body-language, and therefore, nothing to make it interesting. The way I see it, this could as well be clip-art.

If this is a bitter pil to swallow, then let this be a waking up call for you. Try seeing the big picture here - don't worry about lines (they're really insecure and you know how I feel about digital lines anyway), don't worry about style. Aim or an absence of style - style is what comes by itself eventually. Try not to draw a drawing, draw the thing.

Leave this drawing alone for now. Why don't you build up this character from box- and barrel-shapes, in another pose? I'd like to see how well you handle that.
    Don't worry about outlines; just try to convey a three-dimensional figure showing expression via its pose.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnem Mee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just want to mention some things I notice in this picture, although I agree you should make multiple other sketches to train yourself. (sometimes you gotta let go and mix things up. The main focus has to be getting better, Not making the individual picture better.)

1) His left leg is kind of thin/short above the knee.

2) Choose a light source/direction. You need to know where the light and shadow/shade wil be.

3) At your level, there is a difference between shade and shadow. The cast shadow of this character is Way big. Way big. Kill it with fire.

4) Starting anew does not equal giving up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I am using a pose from the dark horse comic "Knights of the Old Republic" I did have to change up the pose a bit and give him a more powerful stance compared to the easy stance that Zayne had to hold his lightsaber.

Yes, I've almost memorized the shapes and faces that get easy and stuck like that. And this guy's anatomy is much slimmer than my original model. I tried to make him younger looking.

I guess I might have to restart it though, and try better next time I get to it. Or try another pose.

Apathy is Death

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.