Sketchbook: I want to improve....

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I want to improve....

Hi there,

I came to a point where I'm not satisfied with my drawings or digital paintings.. I used to draw all the time and then after high school had about 5 years break where I didnt draw much, about 8 months ago I started drawing a lot more but I realised I had a lack of understanding and the fundamentals, all the knowledge and practice from art classes seems to have leaked from my ears, now I am concentrating very hard on improving , and am studying a Bachelor of Illustration design and graphic design but as I am learning on my own I thought this would be a good way to motivate myself and receive criticism along the way if I update this thread... a lot of my drawings I have done before can be found at http://www.sam-shields.com but here is my sketchbook in chronological order...

thanks...
    Sam Shields

ignore first, its just for themain image, want some thing a bit cooler, this comes laterrr

Name:  prof pic.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  67.2 KB

Last edited by sammfshields; May 15th, 2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: resizing images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more studies/practice

Name:  photo 1 2.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  photo 2 2.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  photo 3 2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  photo 4 2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  photo 5 2.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  80.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

here are some more studies/practice sketeches

please do not hesitate to give critsss

Name:  photo 1 3.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  photo 2 3.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  photo 3 3.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  photo 4 3.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  photo 5 3.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  photo 1 4.jpg
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  photo 2 4.jpg
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  photo 3 4.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  photo 4 4.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  photo 5 4.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  photo 1 5.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  photo 2 5.jpg
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  photo 3 5.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some posemaniac practice

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  74.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

loomis studies 1

Name:  loomis.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  269.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I think you are doing great studying Loomis. Another author you should study is Bridgman. Keep going! I is never too late to learn the fundamentals.

Last edited by Cojac; May 17th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cojac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Cristina, thanks for comment, i will check him out, can never have enough study materials!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am kind of in the same boat as you. Restarted drawing and studying Loomis!
    Keep at the study's and i am sure you will learn quickly. Atleast I feel like his books explains things well and understandable.

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, seems we are, its unavoidable hhaah just cant skip the hard stuff, but yeah, im actually enjoying learning from this book, thanks for stopping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spent 10 hours drawing today, started off with some posemaniacs then worked on anatomy, perspective and still life stuff, filled a whole sketch book, will upload proof tomorrow, for now, i am very very tired and must sleep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya! Your story sounds similar to mine. I gave up drawing for a few years and then picked it up again only to realize that my fundamentals were completely lacking. I feel like I'm finally back on track now. Still plenty to learn, but at least I'm working toward that goal.

Anyhow, a few things I noticed...

First is something I tell everyone who is using Posemaniacs... While a great tool for reference, you are better off drawing from life or from photographs. If you want to do gesture drawing, great. If you can't find someone to pose for you, check out tools like pixel lovely and love castle. Just google them- they are effectively the same as Posemaniacs, only with photos instead of a 3D model.

Second, I think you may have better luck with people if you take a temporary detour and practice some still lifes and fundamentals like perspective drawing. Drawing people is really hard! Plus, if you ever plan to draw people from imagination (and not just from observation), it's really important. You'll also get more out of the Loomis books when you do. Most of his work is based on the application of building up complex forms from simple shapes. Long story short, there is a direct connection between being able to draw simple objects and more complex things like people. For now, keep it simple.

And lastly, don't lose hope if you don't immediately see results. XD sometimes it can take time for your hard efforts to pay off. As always though, remember to practice effectively! Don't forget to have fun too

15. The Following User Says Thank You to syrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies! The first advice I'd give is to work on some Loomis to get a better sense of structure, but you're doing that already, so hey. Spend some more time on the basic shape, skeleton type stuff to get a better idea of how the body is structured and moves in 3D, before spending too much time on muscle and the like.

Also, as syrella says, Posemaniacs isn't really a great place to start - Pixelovely and the Drawing Script are better bets, and real-life lifedrawing is even better still.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by syrella View Post
    Hiya! Your story sounds similar to mine. I gave up drawing for a few years and then picked it up again only to realize that my fundamentals were completely lacking. I feel like I'm finally back on track now. Still plenty to learn, but at least I'm working toward that goal.

Anyhow, a few things I noticed...

First is something I tell everyone who is using Posemaniacs... While a great tool for reference, you are better off drawing from life or from photographs. If you want to do gesture drawing, great. If you can't find someone to pose for you, check out tools like pixel lovely and love castle. Just google them- they are effectively the same as Posemaniacs, only with photos instead of a 3D model.

Second, I think you may have better luck with people if you take a temporary detour and practice some still lifes and fundamentals like perspective drawing. Drawing people is really hard! Plus, if you ever plan to draw people from imagination (and not just from observation), it's really important. You'll also get more out of the Loomis books when you do. Most of his work is based on the application of building up complex forms from simple shapes. Long story short, there is a direct connection between being able to draw simple objects and more complex things like people. For now, keep it simple.

And lastly, don't lose hope if you don't immediately see results. XD sometimes it can take time for your hard efforts to pay off. As always though, remember to practice effectively! Don't forget to have fun too

Hey thanks for the tips! I will check out those sites and get practicing , the last tip is the most important one, I can't give up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Revidescent View Post
    Good studies! The first advice I'd give is to work on some Loomis to get a better sense of structure, but you're doing that already, so hey. Spend some more time on the basic shape, skeleton type stuff to get a better idea of how the body is structured and moves in 3D, before spending too much time on muscle and the like.

Also, as syrella says, Posemaniacs isn't really a great place to start - Pixelovely and the Drawing Script are better bets, and real-life lifedrawing is even better still.

Hey thanks for the tips, I will do some more drawing script studies, Ive used that site before, but ill do some more studies from it.. its such a challenge to get my brain to think in 3 dimensions from thinking of everyting in contours and being flat, but i am determined to somewhat over come this hurdle!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sammfshields View Post
    Hey thanks for the tips, I will do some more drawing script studies, Ive used that site before, but ill do some more studies from it.. its such a challenge to get my brain to think in 3 dimensions from thinking of everyting in contours and being flat, but i am determined to somewhat over come this hurdle!!!
    Yeah, that's where learning perspective and also doing still lifes will help (in my experience). The issue with photographs and drawings is that they are flat. Being able to hold something in your hand, rotate it, change the lighting, whatever is extremely helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10 hours of drawing

here it is, i left some really really sketchy stuff out, this is yesterdays practice! spent 10hours practicing!

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  photo 14.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  photo 21.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  photo 41.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  photo 12.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  photo 54.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  photo 11.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  photo 45.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  photo 22.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  photo 52.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  photo 32.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  photo 42.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  photo 51.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  photo 55.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  photo 31.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  73.0 KB

Last edited by sammfshields; May 9th, 2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: RESIZE IMAGES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again, I think you are making some progress.

For the basic shapes, I'd suggest picking up some geometric solids and doing some studies of them.

Here's an example of what I mean:
    http://www.enasco.com/product/TB18604T

I have this same set and find it very useful. You can also buy wooden versions really cheap at a craft store or simply find shapes around your home. Probably something with a uniform matte finish is best. You don't want to deal with lots of shiny highlights at this stage.

Perspective drawing will help when it comes time to drawing these in different orientations. Having the shapes to hold and turn around will help you understand form and volume. It should also help you when it comes time to render and apply lighting.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to syrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by syrella View Post
    Hi again, I think you are making some progress.

For the basic shapes, I'd suggest picking up some geometric solids and doing some studies of them....
    Hey, thanks for visiting again, I'll look for some things around the home, I just acquired a really helpful perspective drawing book, which has already helped my understanding some more,

more studies coming!!!

thanks again

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sammfshields For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Okay..

gotta practice, found time to practice today, in between purchasing a moped and uni classes, must practice, practice, practice... set up a lame still life setup, need to get some apples and oranges... purchased a book, and studied some D'Amelio - Perspective Drawing Handbook... here is a little bit of loomis, perspective, gesture studies and poses from pixelovely.com.. havign trouble with line of gravity and showin weight with poses, I cant quite grasp the idea... any help from anyone would be great... thanks...

Views: 282
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  photo 21.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  57.8 KB

Views: 285
Size:  61.1 KB

Views: 278
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  photo 25.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  photo 33.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  photo 32.JPG
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  photo 23.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  photo 35.JPG
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  photo 22.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  photo 24.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  66.5 KB

Size:  60.2 KB

Views: 280
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  photo 31.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  71.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

didn't get a chance to do much sketching today but i was determined to get some sort of practice in......
Views: 268
Size:  88.8 KB

Size:  90.5 KB

Views: 267
Size:  96.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the studies and it is great you are doing stuff from imagination, I would say your recent posts face is wonky. I don't know how to explain it well lol, but for example, the right ear is smaller than the left and the left's perspective is quite different to the right one. Also the chin is quite slanted to the left and the eyes look to wide for the face and you can avoid things like this by getting the sketchbook or piece of paper you are working on and put it infront of a mirror to see what is off propotionally etc, I mean I don't mean to sound like a douche ( because I am still a beginner myself ). I would suggest you study faces more, especially from different angles, and you should try and get Andrew Loomis Heads and Hands, to get better a better knowledge of facial structure, I am studying it right now. So keep up the hard work man because you will end up being amazing at this rate. Sorry for the text wall XD

Sketchbook - DeviantArt - Crimson Daggers
    "The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning" ~ Loomis

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Egbu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by superhmerh View Post
    superhmerh
    Hey man, no probs, I need a text wall hahah, thanks for the advice, I'll get my hands on "heads and hands". I also realised a problem I have which is I settle for unsatisfactory results, like I drew that head, then I think, yeah, it looks like a head, that's good enough... I guess I need to spend a bit more time and give more attention to fine tuning stuff.. Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my arm hurts

my arm is hurting badly, not sure why haha,.. but anyways, heres some practice from today, from loomis heads and hands.... im still trying to think in three dimensions , which is so much harder than it sounds, im sure everyone would know, but im determined to improvE!!!!

Name:  1photo 2.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  1photo 1.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  66.5 KB

Views: 250
Size:  66.6 KB

Views: 240
Size:  72.0 KB

Views: 239
Size:  78.0 KB

Views: 241
Size:  76.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a few more for the day

....Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  68.2 KB

Views: 245
Size:  68.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm very disappointed as I missed a day of studies, as I was in hospital due to my dodgy heart, well I'm out now and will be uploading AsAP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

todays studies

managed to get some drawing practice in today, heres some gestures, anatomy and perspective practice...

Views: 226
Size:  100.7 KB

Views: 222
Size:  79.7 KB

Views: 219
Size:  87.1 KB

Views: 221
Size:  99.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be to hard on yourself for not drawing a day if you had to go to the hospital! there are worse things then that. Its good to see you are doing a lot of practice!

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Steeliebob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sammfshields, I'm really liking the latest stuff, it seems like your lines are becoming much more loose and confident which is great! I'd defiantly recommend George B Bridgman's books on drawing from life and the figure, his extensive anatomical studies are really helpful and he has a great sense of mass and weight.

Another book I'd recommend is called Force: dynamic life drawing for animators, its written a bit more artsy and ambiguous than most books but it really helps me to understand how to approach drawing and how to draw more lively and dynamic poses, I really dig it.

Most importantly though keep at it! Your getting better and better!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.Batchelor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

I'm really admiring the amount of studies you're doing, your hard work is really great! It's going to pay off for sure.
    Aside from what the others said, I noticed that in your studies, you're kind of avoiding the hands, haha. Maybe it's because you're focusing on the structure of the rest of the body, but I suggest doing a few hand studies to get out of your comfort zone, if you want.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to owlies For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.