Thanked 1,532 Times in 544 Posts

C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - VOTING!

Round 258 - Voting!

Topic: Whiptongue

Deadline for voting: May 16th, 2012

Requirements this week (Read BEFORE Voting!):

- The creature’s tongue must be a prominent feature of the design

- The tongue must be prehensile

- The tongue should be used for a specific chief function of the creature’s day-to-day life (be that using it as a weapon, a method of manipulating objects or to swing through the trees, it’s up to you)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; May 10th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Artist: ChrisKlungerbo

Concept: Horn Tongue

The Horn tongue is a predator unlike any other. It preys on very quick animals despite being quite slow itself. But instead of evolving to adapt to it's prey's speed, it has developed quite a unique way of hunting. It fires it's tongue much like a chameleon, but the tip of it's tongue is made of a hardened material shaped like that of an arrowhead. It shoots the tongue which pierces the prey's skin and attaches, before it drops to it's belly. The prey will try to run, but the Horn Tongues belly is made to create extra friction and the prey tires very quickly, giving the horn tongue the ability to catch up.

They have been known to hunt in packs as well, but never seen living as a group.

Last edited by ChrisKlungerbo; May 9th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisKlungerbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: daniorrr

Concept: Jezik

The Jezik (Croatian for tongue) is a huge creature that hunts using its tongue. It usually grows up to the size of gorilla, it has a tongue that extends up to 3m.
    The Jezik is able to control its tongue with ease, it also has a venomous sting which paralyzes the prey, allowing it the reel its prey back in with ease.
    Other methods of hunting include headbutting, as seen in the picture.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daniorrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Tchuk

Concept: Gua'ak

The Gua'ak are mainly found in dense jungles; although other variants have been found in less tropical climes, they all exhibit the same behaviour when it comes to feeding. They are nocturnal predators and will leap from tree to tree using their powerful legs before finding a low hanging branch to perch themselves on, dangling their large tail near the ground,it then lights its bioluminescent tail brightly in the middle of the night to draw the more curious creatures towards it after it carefully lowers it's prehensile tongue into the underbrush.

When its victim comes along to investigate the strange light the Gua'ak will quietly move its tongue into position before striking at the victims next, quickly and quietly suffocating it. Finally lifting it's prey up onto the branch before stripping the flesh off using it's serated fangs.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Scriar

Concept: Long Tongued Sloth
    The Long Tongued Sloth is a slow creature dwelling in forested areas, it hangs from branches with its long tongue, and feeds using the venus fly trap like tip. Generally preferring small birds, Eggs, and insects for its prey. Its colourful appearance is to ward off predators this however making it have little camouflage in its environment.

Last edited by Scriar; May 9th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scriar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Stinkfist

Concept: Hookshawt
    This lackadaisical creature is one of the laziest creatures in existence. At first glance, one would surmise that this creature is a useless organism and is soon on its way to extinction, until you see it's tongue. The Hookshawt's tongue can extend anywhere between a few feet to almost a mile. The glands in the tongue allow for such elasticity and can even serve as a strong binding agent to grip and secure meals. The hookshawt's primary diet consists of birds and other objects made of meat flying through the air.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stinkfist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    artist: jon n

Concept: whiptongue
    there's always a bigger tongue

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 685 Posts
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: Kalak

Found in moist humid environments, Kalaks use their long whip-like tongues to manipulate objects and catch food. They mostly feed on fruits, but will prey on smaller creatures as well. Their stretchy throats and unhinged mandibles allow them to swallow food that is a few times larger than it's head. They are fast runners, but if any predators will chase after them they use their long tongues to swing in nearby trees to help them evade predation. During the mating season they will build large nests using their tongues to manipulate the building materials, the males with the largest nest with the most unique materials gets the most mates.

Name:  Whiptongue copy.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  277.0 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 721 Posts
    Artist: Anthis

Concept: Whiptongue (variety: Hiloton VII)

The whiptongue variety of the recently colonized planet Hiloton VII uses its long and powerful tongue primarily for hunting. Because the whiptongue is otherwise relatively fragile, the tongue can also serve a defensive function. While wounds sustained from the actual hit are minor, the cocktail of toxins in the whiptongue's saliva can cause nerve damage and paralyse prey. The toxins are less effective on humans as they are not originally from the Hiloton cluster. Even so, colonists are at all times advised to stay clear of whiptongues in order to avoid the painful bruises.

Take a look at my Website!

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Paré Lizard

Artist: TheAlmightyPillock

Concept: Paré Lizard
    The Paré Lizard glides across the rocky desert using thermals to lift it up upon the stretch of skin attached to two of its fingers and down the side of it body. Hunting in packs of nearly two dozen the Paré Lizard’s are always on the look out for food. However meals in the desert are hard to come by and for such a small animal, even in large groups, your meal tends to spoil before you get to eat it all.

Paré Lizard’s have found a unique remedy to this problem. Named for the French physician Ambroise Paré, these unusual retiles use thier tongue much in the way of medical sutures. Upon landing on potential pray they will use thier long and durable tongues to penatrate thier victems body where upon they will locate important blood vesals and arterys leading to the brain. By wraping around this vessels, thereby reducing oxygen to the brain, Paré Lizard’s are able induce brain death.

The long spins, which are pressed tight against their body’s during flight, raise up when they land preventing other creatures from the prey’s herd or family from dislodging them.

A dead animal rots, but a living beast adapted for the desert can live for several week without expiring. This is when the true nature of their namesake comes into effect. They is still the issue of the pray bleeding to death while it is eaten alive. Many Paré Lizard’s working together can tie off the blood vessels leading to a particular limb, enabling them to dig in without it bleeding out.

The smell of blood however does sometime attract other predators as much as the smell of spoiled meet. To deter this competition the Paré Lizard’s can rattle their spines creating an intimidating display. They can carry out their threat however. What could be more deadly than an animal that can simply tie of the blood vessels to your heart?

Some animals have evolved to mimic the appearance of a brain dead lizard pray. When sleeping the Spotted Hog-fit will lye as if slumped, dark patches cover its fur and it is also able to imitate the Paré Lizard’s spine rattle, though it does this with its tongue.
    Name:  Feeding Time WIP.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  346.1 KB

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Ex Nihilo

Concept: William's Mustache

The Cehir (or William's Mustache, in reference to the explorer who claims its discovery) moves slowly with the exception of its lightning-quick tongue which it relies upon to gather its food. Cehirs will stand carefully still, with their tongue on the river bottom, to snatch unsuspecting fish within the three pronged fork of the Cehirs' tongue. They may also use their tongues to upturn rocks and to grab and break apart rotting logs and stumps in order to find insects to feed upon. The tip of the tongue is tough and not terribly sticky, but further toward the mouth are glands that secret a semi sticky membrane that insects will adhere to. When not in use, the Cehir's tongue rests inside its wide mouth, coiled in a fashion similar to that of a rattlesnake.

Name:  Whiptonguefinal.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  467.3 KB

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N A Johnson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Talking

Artist: 1derboy1

Concept: Small Mouthed Ambusher

The guy lives in the forest and is a relative of the more commonly found Woodland Ambusher. The strange thing about Small Mouthed Ambusher's is that they only feed once a year, during the early spring months of the year when bunnies seem to be in abundance.

BTW you guys are all amazing. I can't wait to do another one of these and hopefully improve my techniques. i have a lot to learn. Enjoy!

Last edited by 1derboy1; May 9th, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: text showed up wrong

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 1derboy1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A lot of cool stuff going on I'll try to give some feedback to all and then take a vote!

daniorrr: I love the idea that your creature grabs a hold of it's prey and then reels it in before spearing/butting it to death with it's head. However, when you visualized this idea I don't think you limited the other functions of your creature enough. When I see his massive hands with HUGE claws, I would assume those are used more than the horn on his head, just because that would be more efficient. Except that removes the tongues and horns purpose. So, nice idea, but a bit contradictory in the logic of it all. Easily fixed

Tchuck: The idea is a bit outdated in terms of the light attracting the prey, but still a nice idea when combined with the tongue. I feel you could've pushed it a bit though and maybe refined the details around your idea a bit. Right now the creature pretty much lights up itself and any creature that is naturally moving around at night time wouldn't have a lot of trouble seeing it. I imagine this creature to maybe trick smaller animals who would otherwise hide during the night, by having it's tail at the entrance of their hole/cave/lair, making them think it's daytime, and then grabbing them when they come out. You could even have the tip of the tongue be the light source. I also think the creature needs a bit of width or length added if it's tongue is that large assuming it's supposed to fit inside him when not using it

Scriar: This one was really hard to critique. I'm sort of missing the point of the tongue in your concept. Why does he need it? Would this creature evolve in such a way that he would have use of this tongue? Why not just climb the extra feet and eat the eggs normally. Also, eating birds would mean he had to be really quick to catch them. I think maybe a diet change is in order. If the tongue is really strong like you suggest, have him eat turtles or something That would make it more logical as far as being able to catch his prey, and also the strength of the tongue could be used to crack the shell, or suck out the insides.

Stinkfist: This is a bit cartoony for my taste. A mile long tongue is not very realistic, and by realistic I don't mean it has to exist but it has to at least be based in reality, hehe. The rendering is also lacking. I would say this is a bit rushed, so only critique I have is to spend more time on the exploration/idea period of your process, and spend more time rendering your drawing/painting.

Jon n: Funny and nice style! Moves a bit away from the concept part in my opinion though. This is more of a humorous illustration in a magazine than a concept for an actual creature.

Rob Powell: One of my favorites this time. A very nice description, the idea is rooted in reality and the rendering of your concept clearly shows its form and function.

Anthis: Nicely done, I don't think I have much to critique. I think the rendering could've been pushed a bit. Only other thing might be that it looks REALLY strong even though you say it's fragile. Mostly due to its armored head I think.

TheAlmightyPillock: I sort of like the idea about the tongue being so delicate and precise, but I think the silhouette can be pushed to make it look more interesting. Another thing is, this might actually be a bit too advanced. Think about why a creature would evolve like it does. I would imagine that if it actually evolved too a point where it could fly around the dessert, why would it need it's tongue when it can easily find prey by covering great distances to find them. It makes sense to preserve the animal only if it stumbles upon it's prey in very very rare occasions. So rare actually, that this dude would even have to be slow, despite living in the dessert, for it to make sense.

Ex Nihilo: Very nicely rendered! This creature looks interesting and it's tongues function fits with it's otherwise sloppy physique. One of my favorites this round!

1derboy1: Only feeds on bunnies, haha. Well, as far as critique goes I would say he's too skinny to feed so rarely. Feeding rarely would mean he needs a huge layer of fat the rest of the year right? I realize this is at the time of year when he's feeding and the fat reserves are low, but it still needs to be visualized in such a way that it makes sense. His body would be evolved in such a way that almost every ounce of food would be converted to fat for later use. He would therefore be a hyper non-energetic animal that gathers food in a smarter way than what you show here. Hope that makes sense. Make use of the WIP thread and ask questions to learn as much as possible. A lot of amazing artists roam this forum, so you won't have trouble finding helpful tips and critiques

It stood between Ex Nihilo and Rob Powell. You both have excellent ideas and cool paintings that are interesting to look at. I vote for Ex Nihilo because I find his creature more interesting and unique.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisKlungerbo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.