C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - WIPs Thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  250.3 KB
    For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #258: Whiptongue

topic:

ROUND#258 - Whiptongue

The tongue is an interesting feat of biological engineering. It’s one of the strongest muscles in the body, proportionally speaking. We use it to taste, many reptiles use it as their primary form of perception. Then there’s all those crazy creatures who shoot it out like some kind of hyper-sensory projectile, bringing swift death to their prey and bringing sweet, sweet noms to their mouth. This week we’ll be focusing on a creature that has developed an extremely long prehensile tongue. In fact the creature has evolved such that the tongue has become it’s chief limb when it comes to gripping and manipulating objects in the same way that we would use our hands. The creature has been known to use the tongue to grip, strangle, entangle or strike creatures, even. Every other detail of these creatures is up to you. (Now, I know someone may think it’s very clever to bring up that pokémon Lickitung, so allow me to do that now, so that your oh-so-clever joke is over and done with: yes it’s kinda like Lickitung, I guess)

Requirements this week:

- The creature’s tongue must be a prominent feature of the design

- The tongue must be prehensile

- The tongue should be used for a specific chief function of the creature’s day-to-day life (be that using it as a weapon, a method of manipulating objects etc, it’s up to you)

Deadline:

May 9th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

finals go here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...78#post3448778

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; May 3rd, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool! This will be fun Now, as man that has english as his second language I'm hoping I can ask what 'Prehensile' means without sounding like a total idiot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This should be interesting! I'm having a lot of fun trying these challenges. =)

@ChrisKlungerbo - Prehensile means it can be used like a limb such as how a monkey can use it's tail to hang on to a limb and climb or an elephant uses it trunk to pick up things. Hope that explanation helped!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Prehensile: Adapted for seizing, grasping, or holding, especially by wrapping around an object; would be the proper definition.

Cool topic though, will try to contribute this time around.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to work on something without hard edges for a change! Had some fun playing with some new brushes with this.

I'm starting to think this guys tongue is also the inside of his body, like it inverts when he shoots it out. Then when he catches prey, he just sucks it in and digests it directly.

Last edited by SnailsPace; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:17 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually really like the idea of this. I've been away for a while so it's nice to have a fun C.O.W. to get back into.

I've only done a few quick sketches, and I think they need to be made a bit more fantastical, but my idea is generally that of a taunting creature that ensnares it's prey and eats it whole using it's tongue.

Originally I had been looking at Pangolins, seems my taste went more towards snakes and lizards to accomodate with fully eating a creature and latching onto trees though.

Last edited by Tchuk; May 3rd, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some thoughts. I'll probably try for something like the thumbnail at the bottom.
    Name:  tonguesm.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  175.8 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to N A Johnson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I think I'm in on this one guys. Cool topic. This will be my first COW. I want to try and do a mammal, I think that with a clearly reptilian attribute like this, I might end up with sort of a pseudo mammal, like the platypus. I'm thinking this might have evolved along with a ferret, but just ended up with worthless stubby fat legs and a big and useful tongue instead. Here's a quick sketch.

I see him curling up in a tree for protection by curling around his tail and then the tree branch with his tongue.

P.S. Cool entries guys. Snails pace, I like that he just inverts his stomach, cool idea.

An Industrial Designer who likes to pretend he can paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I couldn't help myself. I was supposed to go back to some real work, but I'm hooked already. Here's an update with a little paint on 'im.

An Industrial Designer who likes to pretend he can paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WAAAZZUUUUP!!
    Thought I'd put together some reference images for inspiration...
    we have a numbat, giant anteater, giraffe, chameleon, a dog, gene simmons, okapi, and the sun bear. Also Barlowe's Arrowtongue came to mind when this topic came up.
    Name:  tongue ref.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  401.6 KB
    edit: some quick doodles while I'm here...
    1-large bodied herbivore, uses tongue to grab branches and whatnot and for defense to bash predator and toss
    2-another large bodied creature, omnivorous, will lick anything around and eat whatever it's sticky tongue picks up
    3-bird-like amphibious, thingy....long whip-like tongue it uses for just about anything...
    4-hummungbird/bat/ray...thingy....also with a long whip-like tongue....yeah...
    I like 1 and 3 the best....
    Name:  whiptongue doodles.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  178.3 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, (lark, you're safe from lickitung references, but how about the Licker from Resident Evil series?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ex Nhilo watch out becouse your spear tongue idea isnt actuly prehensile, its just a staby tongue. A camelions tongue isnt prehensile for example.

Perhampse the fish have a hard exosxelition which cant be easily pearced so your creature has to grab it with its long tongue insead only to swollow it whole and slowly digest its difficult pray.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Thoughts

I'm actuly finding this one quite hard to come up with soemthing unusual.
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  143.1 KB

I have add the extra limitation of a rocky/sandy environment just to give me some physical limitations.

From the top a herd bettle that uses its tongue for foraging but also as a means of collecting the due blowed in from the sea miles away but sticking up in the air where the water condences. As well as licking it off of its ornimental wings.

A couple of bugs that either hang from rocky outcrops by tail/tongue and grab passing flying organisums.

Large herbevor that has grown an impresive set of horns for interspeacies competition but its mouth is unable to reach its food. It uses its toung to grab the food it requirs. The underside of the tongue is also barbed which it uses during fights. Its network of horns are so dense that it is almost impossible to hert each other with them so it instead darts its tongue between its enimys horns attemping to lacerate its face beneath. It also cant see due to the horns and navigates by tasting sent with its tonuge.

Laberenth bettle spends most of its lie in infant stage underground. Its long tounge extends abouve the serface which then shifts rocks and bolders into a complex maze forcing potential pray ever closer. Many may live in conjuction creating greate laberenths that you are as liky to die of thierst as be eaten by the beattle itself.

Insectoid creature that 'swims' beneath the sand with its six paddle like limbs. Beak at the front opens to allow multiple tongues to eaither snare pray abouve or bellow the sands surface.

Tuneling insect that lives underground. comes to the surface at night where the grows on its back attract flying animals. It uses its long tongue to grasp the tasty little buggers.

(Moved away from the desert idea here) Nicknamed "Kelpy" this hoofed animal swimbs and walks through shallow swamps using its long tonuge to navigate, move obsticals and pick up the submerged fruit that it eats.

Fuccus more on the concept you like, the shape comes second for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyPillock View Post
    (Moved away from the desert idea here) Nicknamed "Kelpy" this hoofed animal swimbs and walks through shallow swamps using its long tonuge to navigate, move obsticals and pick up the submerged fruit that it eats.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

just saiyan.

SpydrXIII.DeviantArt.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey peops. this is a great topic!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've decided against my initial sketches, will make something more along the lines of a tree symbiote or parasite, something that latches to a tree specifically and uses it's tongue to snare prey that way.

Well draw later, I'm very tired

As for others sketches,

Ex Nihilo
    Loving sketch 1 myself, can imagine it in a really twisted landscape, not sure how 1 and 3 need to be prehensile though, especially if it's for gripping fish, the spike seems very useful but there's no real need for a prehensile ability.

Rob Powell
    I personally love 2 and 3, mostly 3 because of it's silhouette, I think 2 would make more use of a prehensile tongue though. Looking forward to seeing which you choose and how it develops though.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spydr I dont understand what you mean, are you jsut correcting my spelling of Kelpie? And if your just pointing out the mythology thats exactly why I nicknamed it a Kelpie.

Jon N- Love your crazy sketches.

Rob Powle- Number two if actuly my faverut sketch.

Tchuk- Am I right your lizard uses its tongue like one of those lop traps, they step in the gap and then they grab its foot? Really cool eaither way but I like the action pose.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Pillock Yeah that's the general idea of the tongue, I went a bit further and also added the idea that it would help this creature travel across branches in the forests.

Leaping from tree to tree before setting up it's trap, the tongue is used as both a weapon for attacking prey and as a means of balance, instead of strong set of arms that it would use for grip, it's reliance on it's tongue had evolved so that it acts as a third limb.

EDIT: Been thinking about how large this creature is. I was hoping to keep something roughly the size in my previous image, at least 16ft long, so easily capable of trapping and eating large prey such as jungle cats, boar etc. Not sure hopping through the trees would be possible easily at these sizes though, and if that's true perhaps the idea of an entangling prehensile tongue would be unneccesary for smaller game. If I'm wrong could someone correct me, but I'd welcome suggestions or critiques on this

Last edited by Tchuk; May 5th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of quickies, might throw together a few more if I have time today.

Name:  tongue.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  109.9 KB

Had time for one more.

Name:  tongue2.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  63.7 KB

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; May 5th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo...is 3D allowed or...?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PxelSlayer: 3D isn't allowed but you can use the model as a template to paint over.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another quick update. I'm liking this image I must admit, I hope I can render it as well as I'd like.

Sorry about the 3D Pxel, looks like you've got a good base to go off if you do a paint over though

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my dude so far.
    He is a scavenger, and mainly harmless unless you are another scavenger, then he will punch you in the face. I will probably make some changes.

As artists, we have to learn to see.
    Sketchybook

38. The Following User Says Thank You to snippet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pare Lizard

Tchuk- I had presumed that you creature was always going to be quite small. Hunters use those sort of taps for rabits and other small animals, its would realy work on something larger like a bear. It could be not much larger than a sea otter (in my head) and using its trap tongue technec would still be perfectly sutable and be able to climb through trees.

Here is my final beasty, though his shape isnt completly finalised, ive moved away from the pterasaur wings to more of a flying squirrel style.

Name:  Pare Lizard.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  163.1 KB

The Pare lizard, named after the surgen, hunts in pack flying on hot thermals landing on its pray. large spine petrude from its back proventing other animals from dislodging them while they do thier grisly work. Long prehensile tongue burrow into the host creature whereupon they contstric the arterys leading to the brain, jsut enough to cause brain damage. The heart still beats, the lungs still breath but the animal does not move. In this desert environment the host animal is able to last many week without eating so thier is no fear of it expiring before the Pare lizards have had thier fill. This beculier method is due to excelirated decomposition caused by the hot climent which would also attract scavengers. By keeping the host alive the Pare lizards can feed at lesure. They are also capable of cutting off the blood suply to indervidual limbs enabeling them to devour a leg or arm without the host dieing of bloodloss.

Havent quite finished some inconsistancys in the story like how do they eat with their tongues out? Im thinking a grove under thier jaw that the tongue can fit into. This is my final beast just need to try out shapes and get apinting now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheAllmightyPillock and Tchuk-- thanks for the comments, guys!

Tchuk, I actually thought about putting a few of those creatures from the first sketch on a beach somewhere, feeding off a salmon run or something. The other thumb appealed to me more for some reason.
    This is it so far, still need to work some things out...
    Name:  tonguesm.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  371.5 KB

I figure the creature could also forage for insects by using his tongue to grab and break rotten logs, or to upturn them.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N A Johnson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whip!
    Name:  Whiptongue copy.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  238.1 KB

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lickytongue..
    a pokemon that grows up to the size of a gorilla, he has a tongue that extends up to 3m. the tongue itself has a venomous sting, but it also has poisonous saliva, similiar to that of a komodo dragon.
    Other methods of hunting include headbutting, as see in the picture.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to daniorrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feeding Time

Last time my tuter told me off for just having my creature floting in nthingess so I'm going to have a go at creating the whole sceen. Always find it hard to re draw the same animal from difernt angels particuly asI dont have time to make a macket.

Attachment 1476657

I'm realy going to have to work my but off tomorow to catch up with all of you.

Stinkfist- Not quite sure whats going on here but stick with the humer, just develop a reason for the tongue.

Ex Nihilo- Awsome painting skills there, the hand tongue fit the breaf much better now. I'm especialy keen on his eyes and the awsome lighting you've got going on through the trees.

Rob Powell- Anything I could say is probably what your already painting at the moment. I like the stretchy throut to swollow bigger pray.

Daniorr- fun to give into the likytongue idea though if your going to put it in I think your should fully commit to it and keep the colourscheem or soemthing. Otherwise dont mention it in the final description. A vemonus tongue and seliva as well as a headbut if possibly overkilll. Perhapse jsut toxic seliva as the headbutt. You dont realy need to poisen you pray when you've jsut caved in their skull with your forhead. Really like the action poses with the gye getting powned.

Goodluck everyone eles who is still working.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update:

As for everyone elses:

Ex Nihilo
    Actually loving your one right now, some very nice colours and shading. Still not sure about the tongue but it's definitely looking more useful now.

Rob Powell
    Good textures and shading, seems like it could use a bit more colour though as I'm not sure about the plain black. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out

Daniorrr
    Good concept! I have to agree with Pillock about the venom, seems a tongue and a headbutt would be sufficient enough to subdue it's prey, especially something that large. But I am really liking it.

Anyway good luck guys!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.