Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 544 Posts

C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - WIPs Thread

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  250.3 KB
    For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #258: Whiptongue

topic:

ROUND#258 - Whiptongue

The tongue is an interesting feat of biological engineering. It’s one of the strongest muscles in the body, proportionally speaking. We use it to taste, many reptiles use it as their primary form of perception. Then there’s all those crazy creatures who shoot it out like some kind of hyper-sensory projectile, bringing swift death to their prey and bringing sweet, sweet noms to their mouth. This week we’ll be focusing on a creature that has developed an extremely long prehensile tongue. In fact the creature has evolved such that the tongue has become it’s chief limb when it comes to gripping and manipulating objects in the same way that we would use our hands. The creature has been known to use the tongue to grip, strangle, entangle or strike creatures, even. Every other detail of these creatures is up to you. (Now, I know someone may think it’s very clever to bring up that pokémon Lickitung, so allow me to do that now, so that your oh-so-clever joke is over and done with: yes it’s kinda like Lickitung, I guess)

Requirements this week:

- The creature’s tongue must be a prominent feature of the design

- The tongue must be prehensile

- The tongue should be used for a specific chief function of the creature’s day-to-day life (be that using it as a weapon, a method of manipulating objects etc, it’s up to you)

Deadline:

May 9th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

finals go here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...78#post3448778
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; May 3rd, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool! This will be fun Now, as man that has english as his second language I'm hoping I can ask what 'Prehensile' means without sounding like a total idiot

Thanks
    This should be interesting! I'm having a lot of fun trying these challenges. =)

@ChrisKlungerbo - Prehensile means it can be used like a limb such as how a monkey can use it's tail to hang on to a limb and climb or an elephant uses it trunk to pick up things. Hope that explanation helped!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 686 Posts
    Prehensile: Adapted for seizing, grasping, or holding, especially by wrapping around an object; would be the proper definition.

Cool topic though, will try to contribute this time around.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Nice to work on something without hard edges for a change! Had some fun playing with some new brushes with this.

I'm starting to think this guys tongue is also the inside of his body, like it inverts when he shoots it out. Then when he catches prey, he just sucks it in and digests it directly.
    Last edited by SnailsPace; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:17 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I actually really like the idea of this. I've been away for a while so it's nice to have a fun C.O.W. to get back into.

I've only done a few quick sketches, and I think they need to be made a bit more fantastical, but my idea is generally that of a taunting creature that ensnares it's prey and eats it whole using it's tongue.

Originally I had been looking at Pangolins, seems my taste went more towards snakes and lizards to accomodate with fully eating a creature and latching onto trees though.

Last edited by Tchuk; May 3rd, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some thoughts. I'll probably try for something like the thumbnail at the bottom.
    Attachment 1473655

11. The Following User Says Thank You to N A Johnson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright, I think I'm in on this one guys. Cool topic. This will be my first COW. I want to try and do a mammal, I think that with a clearly reptilian attribute like this, I might end up with sort of a pseudo mammal, like the platypus. I'm thinking this might have evolved along with a ferret, but just ended up with worthless stubby fat legs and a big and useful tongue instead. Here's a quick sketch.

I see him curling up in a tree for protection by curling around his tail and then the tree branch with his tongue.

P.S. Cool entries guys. Snails pace, I like that he just inverts his stomach, cool idea.
    An Industrial Designer who likes to pretend he can paint.

Thanks
    So, I couldn't help myself. I was supposed to go back to some real work, but I'm hooked already. Here's an update with a little paint on 'im.

An Industrial Designer who likes to pretend he can paint.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 686 Posts
    WAAAZZUUUUP!!
    Thought I'd put together some reference images for inspiration...
    we have a numbat, giant anteater, giraffe, chameleon, a dog, gene simmons, okapi, and the sun bear. Also Barlowe's Arrowtongue came to mind when this topic came up.
    Attachment 1473827
    edit: some quick doodles while I'm here...
    1-large bodied herbivore, uses tongue to grab branches and whatnot and for defense to bash predator and toss
    2-another large bodied creature, omnivorous, will lick anything around and eat whatever it's sticky tongue picks up
    3-bird-like amphibious, thingy....long whip-like tongue it uses for just about anything...
    4-hummungbird/bat/ray...thingy....also with a long whip-like tongue....yeah...
    I like 1 and 3 the best....
    Attachment 1473846
    Last edited by Rob Powell; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay, (lark, you're safe from lickitung references, but how about the Licker from Resident Evil series?

Thanks
    Ex Nhilo watch out becouse your spear tongue idea isnt actuly prehensile, its just a staby tongue. A camelions tongue isnt prehensile for example.

Perhampse the fish have a hard exosxelition which cant be easily pearced so your creature has to grab it with its long tongue insead only to swollow it whole and slowly digest its difficult pray.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks

First Thoughts

I'm actuly finding this one quite hard to come up with soemthing unusual.
    Attachment 1473998

I have add the extra limitation of a rocky/sandy environment just to give me some physical limitations.

From the top a herd bettle that uses its tongue for foraging but also as a means of collecting the due blowed in from the sea miles away but sticking up in the air where the water condences. As well as licking it off of its ornimental wings.

A couple of bugs that either hang from rocky outcrops by tail/tongue and grab passing flying organisums.

Large herbevor that has grown an impresive set of horns for interspeacies competition but its mouth is unable to reach its food. It uses its toung to grab the food it requirs. The underside of the tongue is also barbed which it uses during fights. Its network of horns are so dense that it is almost impossible to hert each other with them so it instead darts its tongue between its enimys horns attemping to lacerate its face beneath. It also cant see due to the horns and navigates by tasting sent with its tonuge.

Laberenth bettle spends most of its lie in infant stage underground. Its long tounge extends abouve the serface which then shifts rocks and bolders into a complex maze forcing potential pray ever closer. Many may live in conjuction creating greate laberenths that you are as liky to die of thierst as be eaten by the beattle itself.

Insectoid creature that 'swims' beneath the sand with its six paddle like limbs. Beak at the front opens to allow multiple tongues to eaither snare pray abouve or bellow the sands surface.

Tuneling insect that lives underground. comes to the surface at night where the grows on its back attract flying animals. It uses its long tongue to grasp the tasty little buggers.

(Moved away from the desert idea here) Nicknamed "Kelpy" this hoofed animal swimbs and walks through shallow swamps using its long tonuge to navigate, move obsticals and pick up the submerged fruit that it eats.

Fuccus more on the concept you like, the shape comes second for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast