C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - WIPs Thread - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feeding Time

Name:  Feeding Time WIP.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  118.5 KB

Dont know why this dint poste last time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I started with some random thumbs, trying to pull out some qualities that would strengthen the initial idea I had for this creature. I wanted it to hunt in numbers, but not be too fast. The tongue would be used as a harpoon attaching to the prey. The creature would then lay on its belly, using it's weight to slow the prey down so the others could catch up to it. Alternatively they would all shoot their tongues and lay on their bellies and just wait for it too die.

C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - WIPs Thread

And here is a mix between some of the thumbs I made. In addition to the tongue I added a carapace that shields from danger when it waits for the prey to slow down or die, the spikes on it's underside is meant to dig into the earth creating more friction when the prey tries to run away. The tail is like that of a anchor but also a sort of stabilizing tool. I imagine the prey to be really big and fast. Will make an illustration of this shit in action if I have the time, hehe.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisKlungerbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh why not post? lol

Three initial ideas I wanted to poke at. First one is a slug/snail ish creature basically uses it's tongue to scope out where it is going and make a "path" to follow. Tastes its way around.
    Second is a cat or dog sized critter, shoves it's tongue down small rodent burrows and sucks up whatever is in it. The tongue is more like several small tendrils so it can go down various holes.
    Last one is a massive creature that poses as a tree and a hill, or if there are multiple ones a small forest. The tongue is the tree "roots" ...when you trip on a tree root it's grabbing at you lol

Attached Images Attached Images  
    sketchbook

Confidence isn't saying, 'I've reached the best I can be--I can go no further.' It's saying 'I know what I'm doing, but I can always get better.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think I may actually be done now. Maybe after some rest I'll find things to pick up on and improve but for now this is it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink first time poster

This is what I have so far. This is my first post/idea on conceptart. Feel free to crit the crap out of it. It's always very appreciated. I'll hopefully be able to get a final done by tomorrow. Is tomorrow the final day to submit? Or is it submitted by midnight tonight?

Here it is.

Sorry I noticed, mine is also eating a cat, like the one above, I'll make mine eating something else.

Last edited by 1derboy1; May 8th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my
    Kinda hippo like so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feeding Time WIP2

Really awsome to se more people uploading sketchbook workings rather than just digital thumbnails.

ChrisKlungerbo You'v got the same problem as a few others have had that your beast's tongue isnt actuly prehensile. It would need to wrap around and grip its pray. Everything eles is realy cool about your beasty, just warning it doesnt fit the breaf. This is prehensile tongue, not tongue wepon project.

Tchuk
    - Love the way its pawing at the light

1derboy1- Welcome to the party! My only coment is that your beast has quite a thick togue and enless it hangs out of its body all the time im not sure if it would fit inside its torso. Anteaters etc tongue do go right down thier ribcage so perhapse it could just have a slightly bulkyer torso.

Stinkfist- I realy like the way his mouth is almost jsut a hole in his face. Please tel me your going to keep the confused pigion? I love the dea of it flying along ad just going "WTF?" as this giant tongue shouts up from the ground.

More WIP, realy need to work on my tone, im just not an instinktive painter so you see anthing realy obvoise I ned to change please tell me. Tonight is going to be a late one me thinks.

Name:  Feeding Time WIP2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  146.8 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updated version

Here's an update. I see what you are saying about the tongue, thealmighty I've updated some other things, like the limbs, I didn't really like them just looking like arms and legs, I didn't like the cat, so now it's a bunny. I changed the head, so it's looking at it's prey, in my next update, I might try to address the tongue issue or I might not depending on time. I still need to get the background blocked in.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Was only..

It was only a small thing 1derboy1 not something to worry about at this stage.

Realy love the look on the rabbits face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheAlmightyPillock, Tchuk - Thanks for the critique! haha well the name was just a joke, got lazy to think of a description. I toned down the poison part in the finals.. though its not up yet, i cant seem to attach my file in the finals post.. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thealmightypillock: damn, I didn't see your comment until now. I assumed gripping didn't have to mean "wrap around". Oh well let's hope my English is sufficient to understand the brief next time, hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feeding Time WIP4

ChrisKlungerbo- I dont imagine it will matter too much. Its still a realy nice idea and it wont take much to alter the idea, it jsut has to grip its pray, wraping around its legs or something. Dont worry I've had to mention it to a couple of people already.

I've added some colour through phtotoshop then taken it into the trial vercion of Coral painter. Don't realy know how to work this as its only my second ever attempt.

Decided I'm not realy happy with the pose of the hoste animal. I jsut used a sculpture of a cheeta from my room and this has resulted in it having a very static pose. It should realy be eaither lying on the ground brain dead or desperatly running away, not just standing there.

Something to think about more next time.

Name:  Feeding Time WIP4 copy.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  131.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think I'm going to finish in time for the challenge but I'm having fun so I'll keep working on it anyway. :3

sketchbook

Confidence isn't saying, 'I've reached the best I can be--I can go no further.' It's saying 'I know what I'm doing, but I can always get better.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, thought I would have a go at this, only saw it this morning so been in a mad dash all day to get it done These are the development sketches for the creature, I basically do a rough doodle, then a rough line drawing over the top, and finally a clean(ish) line over the top of that, and mask it for presentation.

I didnt do any development for the final illustration beyond a loose sketch when I started, since I approached it like a speedpainting.

My idea was a tree climbing sloth like creature who uses the tongue to hold branches, it then splits at the end to reveal a Venus fly trap like mouth. Which can eat eggs, small insects, and birds.

Will post the final illustration in a bit, just cleaning it up at the moment

edit: Added final illustration, its still quite loose plan to fix it up since Im going to print it up for my portfolio going to have to submit this version for now though. Good luck everyone

Last edited by Scriar; May 9th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 673 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Started late.. again. Hence no WIPS. I'll make up for it with crits once the poll's up!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feeding Time WIP5

I think this is jsut about it. I dont think I'm going to have time to do the flock of them flying onto the pray.

Name:  Feeding Time WIP.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  175.4 KB

Added some collage. Unforchunutly can cant see in this scan but the head of the front Pare lizard and the one of the pray are cut so they stand proud, creating a ncie shadow. Figured I'll never been other concept artists in this industry trying to be the ame as them, why not use the same techneques I use for childrens books etc.

Any ways you can think to tuch it up please sugest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.