Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlmightyPillock View Post
    (Moved away from the desert idea here) Nicknamed "Kelpy" this hoofed animal swimbs and walks through shallow swamps using its long tonuge to navigate, move obsticals and pick up the submerged fruit that it eats.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

just saiyan.

SpydrXIII.DeviantArt.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey peops. this is a great topic!

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think I've decided against my initial sketches, will make something more along the lines of a tree symbiote or parasite, something that latches to a tree specifically and uses it's tongue to snare prey that way.

Well draw later, I'm very tired

As for others sketches,

Ex Nihilo
    Loving sketch 1 myself, can imagine it in a really twisted landscape, not sure how 1 and 3 need to be prehensile though, especially if it's for gripping fish, the spike seems very useful but there's no real need for a prehensile ability.

Rob Powell
    I personally love 2 and 3, mostly 3 because of it's silhouette, I think 2 would make more use of a prehensile tongue though. Looking forward to seeing which you choose and how it develops though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Spydr I dont understand what you mean, are you jsut correcting my spelling of Kelpie? And if your just pointing out the mythology thats exactly why I nicknamed it a Kelpie.

Jon N- Love your crazy sketches.

Rob Powle- Number two if actuly my faverut sketch.

Tchuk- Am I right your lizard uses its tongue like one of those lop traps, they step in the gap and then they grab its foot? Really cool eaither way but I like the action pose.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Pillock Yeah that's the general idea of the tongue, I went a bit further and also added the idea that it would help this creature travel across branches in the forests.

C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - WIPs Thread

Leaping from tree to tree before setting up it's trap, the tongue is used as both a weapon for attacking prey and as a means of balance, instead of strong set of arms that it would use for grip, it's reliance on it's tongue had evolved so that it acts as a third limb.

EDIT: Been thinking about how large this creature is. I was hoping to keep something roughly the size in my previous image, at least 16ft long, so easily capable of trapping and eating large prey such as jungle cats, boar etc. Not sure hopping through the trees would be possible easily at these sizes though, and if that's true perhaps the idea of an entangling prehensile tongue would be unneccesary for smaller game. If I'm wrong could someone correct me, but I'd welcome suggestions or critiques on this

Last edited by Tchuk; May 5th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    A couple of quickies, might throw together a few more if I have time today.

Name:  tongue.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  109.9 KB

Had time for one more.

Name:  tongue2.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  63.7 KB

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; May 5th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 399 Posts
    Sooo...is 3D allowed or...?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 685 Posts
    PxelSlayer: 3D isn't allowed but you can use the model as a template to paint over.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just another quick update. I'm liking this image I must admit, I hope I can render it as well as I'd like.

C.O.W. #258. Whiptongue - WIPs Thread

Sorry about the 3D Pxel, looks like you've got a good base to go off if you do a paint over though

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is my dude so far.
    He is a scavenger, and mainly harmless unless you are another scavenger, then he will punch you in the face. I will probably make some changes.

As artists, we have to learn to see.
    Sketchybook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to snippet For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pare Lizard

Tchuk- I had presumed that you creature was always going to be quite small. Hunters use those sort of taps for rabits and other small animals, its would realy work on something larger like a bear. It could be not much larger than a sea otter (in my head) and using its trap tongue technec would still be perfectly sutable and be able to climb through trees.

Here is my final beasty, though his shape isnt completly finalised, ive moved away from the pterasaur wings to more of a flying squirrel style.

Name:  Pare Lizard.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  163.1 KB

The Pare lizard, named after the surgen, hunts in pack flying on hot thermals landing on its pray. large spine petrude from its back proventing other animals from dislodging them while they do thier grisly work. Long prehensile tongue burrow into the host creature whereupon they contstric the arterys leading to the brain, jsut enough to cause brain damage. The heart still beats, the lungs still breath but the animal does not move. In this desert environment the host animal is able to last many week without eating so thier is no fear of it expiring before the Pare lizards have had thier fill. This beculier method is due to excelirated decomposition caused by the hot climent which would also attract scavengers. By keeping the host alive the Pare lizards can feed at lesure. They are also capable of cutting off the blood suply to indervidual limbs enabeling them to devour a leg or arm without the host dieing of bloodloss.

Havent quite finished some inconsistancys in the story like how do they eat with their tongues out? Im thinking a grove under thier jaw that the tongue can fit into. This is my final beast just need to try out shapes and get apinting now.

Thanks

Thanks
    TheAllmightyPillock and Tchuk-- thanks for the comments, guys!

Tchuk, I actually thought about putting a few of those creatures from the first sketch on a beach somewhere, feeding off a salmon run or something. The other thumb appealed to me more for some reason.
    This is it so far, still need to work some things out...
    Name:  tonguesm.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  371.5 KB

I figure the creature could also forage for insects by using his tongue to grab and break rotten logs, or to upturn them.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N A Johnson For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.