Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much anatomy do you really need to know?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 835 Posts
    I think one thing you might need to think about as a beginner is that anatomical knowledge =/= drawing skill. Learning anatomy is good for one thing only, and that's learning what a human being looks like. Which is important, but it doesn't have anything directly to do with actually being able to draw.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer View Post
    My knowledge, as it is, is very formulaic, so what you said there struck pretty close to home. Thanks. I think I understand now.

All the stuff I know today is pretty much based on general rule of thumb, like proportion grids - where limbs begin & end, how high, how low - and of course, only outer layer muscle groups.

I should get some books, like Loomis and Bridgemen's complete guide. The only book I have right now is Barcsay's "Anatomy for the artist", which is okay for learning about the human skeleton.

You have a really nice sketchbook, btw.
    Thanks.

If you want in-depth anatomy, Loomis and Bridgman are not the best choices. Loomis books are general drawing manuals, and Bridgman's are more or less aimed at analyzing the dynamic pose - but they are not anatomy sources. Barcsay's stuff is useless. Most of it is pilfered from other sources, and the presentation of material is completely clueless.

Get an Ellerberger's atlas, "Drawing the Living Figure" by Sheppard, and some medical texts. You have to know the structures before you can reliably identify the visible forms, and you can't learn stuff like where each muscle attaches from an atlas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    I think one thing you might need to think about as a beginner is that anatomical knowledge =/= drawing skill. Learning anatomy is good for one thing only, and that's learning what a human being looks like. Which is important, but it doesn't have anything directly to do with actually being able to draw.
    It's not about learning what it looks like, it's about learning how it works. Otherwise you won't be able to track what composes each pose, and do silly mistakes even when working from life.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Thanks.

If you want in-depth anatomy, Loomis and Bridgman are not the best choices. Loomis books are general drawing manuals, and Bridgman's are more or less aimed at analyzing the dynamic pose - but they are not anatomy sources. Barcsay's stuff is useless. Most of it is pilfered from other sources, and the presentation of material is completely clueless.

Get an Ellerberger's atlas, "Drawing the Living Figure" by Sheppard, and some medical texts. You have to know the structures before you can reliably identify the visible forms, and you can't learn stuff like where each muscle attaches from an atlas.
    Hm. I thought they were about anatomy as well as gestures and guidelines, except divided into different volumes.. What about Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy?

Haha! Funny how the only book I have is the worst one, though, I wouldn't say it's completely useless. I mean I have had some use for it.
    Thanks for the tip on Ellerberger. Never heard of it before.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Christoffer;3448980]Hm. I thought they were about anatomy as well as gestures and guidelines, except divided into different volumes.. What about Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy?

They are less about anatomy than about the ways to look at anatomy. Which is useful, but you still need to get to the bottom of things. Medical texts, these books are not.

I am not familiar with the contents of Hogarth's book, sorry. I don't have a copy.

Haha! Funny how the only book I have is the worst one, though, I wouldn't say it's completely useless. I mean I have had some use for it.
    Thanks for the tip on Ellerberger. Never heard of it before.
    True, that. Any bit of knowledge is useful. Even though there are better sources around than that book.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I think Hogarth is good for certain concepts, but I don't think it's a good beginner's anatomy book. But whatever clicks with you.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3253771

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=169585

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Like I plug in most threads nowadays since I rarely see people suggest him. Vilppu has some interesting stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    I wouldn't bother about the Iliacus.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    How much anatomy do you really need to know?

Answer:

This...much.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Just make sure you can find the cli...
    Oh, I'm sorry, you meant for drawing. Never mind, my mistake. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you are good at measuring and seeing you don't need anatomy at all..but if you do, it's a lot easier to get the thing right

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ezion View Post
    If you are good at measuring and seeing you don't need anatomy at all..
    Sorry, that's a fallacy. You need to understand what structures you are looking at, or you'll be missing important landmarks that are poorly visible but latch onto incidental detail that don't add anything to the picture.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Sorry, that's a fallacy. You need to understand what structures you are looking at, or you'll be missing important landmarks that are poorly visible but latch onto incidental detail that don't add anything to the picture.
    not exactly..if you are drawing in a more free way, not giving detail importance but giving it to the ''whole'' then no, you don't really care where the last rib is. And it's another ability of the artist to be able to choose the important and draw that and not every detail.(and also to be able to brake everything to simple shapes..that can be done without knowing everything about anatomy..otherwise why do we use a model? and not do it from our imagination? of course I'm talking about drawing from life..) And as I said, it can be done without knowing anatomy, but mistakes are made more often that way..I agreed that it's better to know anatomy,... but totally necessary to know every bit of anatomy? no.

edit : that's at least my opionion. I myself know the basics of anatomy and believe everyone should learn at least the basics..but, there are many things that can be done with only seeing (if it is advanced ) like movement, 3d effect, depth, emotion ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast