Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts

Arrow Dark Crystal prequel GN

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Cryst...ef=pd_sim_b_81

Just tripped over this.

Part one of a three-part graphic novel series delving into the origins of the Skeksis, Mystics, Gelflings, the world of Thra and the Dark Crystal itself. Spanning a time period from thousands of years ago to right up to the start of the original film, this graphic novel epic will tell the definitive origin of Dark Crystal, under the supervision of The Jim Henson Company and The Dark Crystal concept designer Brian Froud.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Man, that viewer is an atrocity. It wastes my time with unnecessary lengthy and staggered scrolling. And it keeps switching into panel-scrolling mode seemingly on its own. Instant headache.

That said, I loved the cover, but the interior art seems to be rather standard, nondescript digital fare. I do realize that wishing for Brian Froud drawing the comic is likely way too much. But they at least could find someone who could convey the same mystique as Froud.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, the cover art may actually be by Froud... It's a pity the interiors aren't (though that would be awesome.)

Ironically I have some miscellaneous French comics that have a much more Froudian feel than those interiors... Maybe they should have gone to France for their art.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the cover art may actually be by Froud... It's a pity the interiors aren't (though that would be awesome.)

Ironically I have some miscellaneous French comics that have a much more Froudian feel than those interiors... Maybe they should have gone to France for their art.
    I think the cover is by Froud too.

As for the French comics... there is no irony in that. France has a very strong comic culture, which is in no way locked onto superheroes and churning out serials like the American one is. And that culture welcomes a variety of art styles and tends to prefer comics made by individual authors, unlike the American industry that ends up with an army of interchangeable cookie-cutter pencilers, inkers and colorists. So if you want a great variety of very skilled comic artists to pick from, France is not an illogical place to look in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    The artwork makes me sad.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    The artwork makes me sad.
    The way it is done is a bit claustrophobic feeling. Instead of taking me to the world of Thra, it's like watching the old school Puppet theater where the characters are finger puppets bouncing around in a box set. I think it's a combination of rendering of the characters with that outline style and lack of feeling scale.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I think the biggest problem is the digital color. It would be better if it were low chroma. Other than that the art isn't bad, it just doesn't hold up to Brian Froud.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post: