Trying to take a more serious path with my art - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trying to take a more serious path with my art

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    Why does painting equal the best way to learn about color? Now I'm interested because color makes me angry. .
    When you paint, you're building an entire picture purely with color (where "color" includes value.) This forces you to really come to grips with how color works.

You could technically achieve the same results by "painting" digitally, but this is not recommended for learning - there are far too many ways to fudge things digitally, and most beginners who skip traditional painting and try to go straight to digital fall into the trap of fudging things and make very little progress...

Traditional paint forces you to think about what you're doing every step of the way, so you learn more overall. You can't just breeze through it, and there are no shortcuts, and no fancy filters to make a bad painting look slick. You have to REALLY learn if you want your paintings to look like anything. (But once you've mastered a traditional painting medium, transferring that knowledge to digital is a piece of cake.)

Anyway, how ELSE are you going to learn anything about color? You won't learn everything you need to know about color by coloring in line drawings with inks, markers, colored pencils, or photoshop. It's too easy to be casual about color when the image is already defined by line work. And you certainly won't learn much if you use mediums that give you a set of predefined colors to work with (like markers.) You need to mix your own colors to understand them completely.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I guess I have to add painting to my summer studies now. Which means I'll be spending a lot of time with my friend. Man, you guys can be such hard asses in the beginning. It's like you have to get past post 10 to get some great constructive conversation though. lol It's good speech though and much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All this drama caused by a bad choice of thread title . If you had used something like "Is This A Worthwhile Drafting Table Upgrade?" you probably would have gotten more on-topic responses.

Yes, all you really need it paper and pencil blah blah blah, I've said it often enough as well.
    However...
    Equipment is important. It's easier to learn to do good work with good materials than bad materials. Having a shiny new piece of gear can help with enthusiasm and motivation, and can also be an important symbolic manifestation of a fresh start. So, if you want a spiffy new table, and can afford it, knock yourself out. One advantage of those new glass-topped tables is that they can be used as makeshift lightboxes, and, if you do start throwing paint around, glass cleans up better, easier, and more quickly than formica.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's actually some valuable knowledge since I bought the table like 6 minutes ago. And I should improve my title naming skills. Maybe this is why no one would join my roleplays back on Gaiaonline. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buy some markers. Buy some books. Subscribe to a magazine or two. Buy some DVDs on drawing, painting, concept art. Buy good materials. Buy some flat files. Buy some templates, triangles, t-square, curves. Carcoal, ink, paint, brushes, conte....lots of stuff to spend money on.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    All this drama caused by a bad choice of thread title . If you had used something like "Is This A Worthwhile Drafting Table Upgrade?" you probably would have gotten more on-topic responses.

Yes, all you really need it paper and pencil blah blah blah, I've said it often enough as well.
    However...
    Equipment is important. It's easier to learn to do good work with good materials than bad materials. Having a shiny new piece of gear can help with enthusiasm and motivation, and can also be an important symbolic manifestation of a fresh start. So, if you want a spiffy new table, and can afford it, knock yourself out. One advantage of those new glass-topped tables is that they can be used as makeshift lightboxes, and, if you do start throwing paint around, glass cleans up better, easier, and more quickly than formica.
    Any thoughts on formica vs. wood/wood veneer?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    However...
    I'd actually spend the money on the one with the drawers. I actually have this model myself http://www.draftingtables.com/drafti...crafttable.cfm

Mainly because if you start getting in the habit of putting stuff in those cheap black side containers, you'll soon get irritated how quickly they fall off and become more of a distraction. The drawers are a better spot. Just make sure your seating is adjusted accordingly so you don't bang your knees into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish you would have told me that sooner. I don't know how to stop them from processing/shipping it tomorrow. Does the one with drawers bend/fold up like the one without?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're getting it because it folds up then I wouldn't worry about my previous statement. I just didn't see the point in getting a fold up one because I prefer my area to be stationary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my opinion: If you're going to be moving, I would stick with the folding one because after moving long distances and taking my table apart and putting it back together over and over it just gets really cumbersome and annoying. My table also has the side trays but I've taken them off because not only will you bump into them but the plastic can become brittle with age and crack-thus breaking them further when you bump into them. I don't really care for any extra drawers and stuff because they all just get in the way. If I need drawers I can put one of those rolling plastic bins (the kind you get at officemax or staples) next to my table. The folding table doesn't have any kind of bar along the bottom though like your old one. I kind of prefer that sort of foot rest but if you want one I guess you could get a stool or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah.. I see now. I never really used it for a foot rest anyway. It feels uncomfortable to draw that way sometimes. And getting bins I could do as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What I've mainly been reading is all the materials seem to be the same.
    For comic artists, yeah -- the absolute cheapest thing that will do the job you want done. Especially manga artists. When you're putting out an ungodly amount of pages a week, you can't afford to waste time and money experimenting with art materials.

If you're an indie comic artist all the materials are not at all the same. There are indie comics done beautifully with just about any art material you can imagine, from paper cutouts to acrylic paints to watercolours to ink to photographs.

So what would you guys say are your must needed weapons at home? Like if you were to have your own Art Studio; which is what I plan to do.
    Of all the things I've tried, I mostly can't live without white vinyl erasers -- the eraser of champions. I can probably live without any other one single thing, and it's a good thing too because chances are that if I want it the art store has just run out of it. If Photoshop crashes I can use Illustrator or ArtRage or GIMP, if my pen breaks I have six other kinds, if I can't find the watercolours I can probably do the job with acrylic ink washes, but I've never found a good replacement for those white Staedtler erasers.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    Pencils, pens, brushes, paper (110lb Card stock), erasers, clipboard. Newspaper/table cheap set of student paints. That is all you need to learn.
    Solid advice, except don't buy cheap student-grade paints. You'll be overpaying for dyed chalk and not getting any kind of color strength. If you want to go into painting, buy a tube each of titanium white, ivory black and red ochre, all artist grade paints. That'll be enough for your exercises for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also suggest a clipboard/laptop desk tray with some cushioning (which can double for a laptop tray) for on the go work. I take that with me to the museum with a small stack of black papers, or other places away from home where I want to sketch on a stable surface. They're also pretty cheap, usually coming in under $20.

Trying to take a more serious path with my art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to chime in on the topic of paints.
    Everyone has preferences and different experience with the starter paint set, and I'll share mine for what it's worth. The first 2 years of learning to paint I got by with the cheapest stuff available, and I painted on cheap cardboard grounded with PVA glue/water solution. Of course it's tougher this way, and takes more time, but I couldn't really afford anything else given the volume of work I had to do.
    So, I guess it depends mainly on your budget, if you can get the better stuff and can regularly afford it( if you paint seriously you'll need lots of it), good for you, if not - the cheap options will do the job too.

Good luck with your artistic path!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, good paint doesn't have to be the most super-elite-expensive brand in the store... There's some brands that are decent quality for a decent price - I usually bought Utrecht oils as a student because they were affordable, but it so happens they're also pretty good quality (I still use a lot of Utrecht oils...)

And you don't need ALL the colors. Some primaries and white are good for starters. Maybe black and burnt umber as well (both of which are cheap colors.)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Queen Gwenevere, may I chime in with a question?

For beginning painting, do you recommend starting with acrylics or will watercolors work? I was thinking about getting a simple set of water colors to try out because acrylics feel too advance for me at the moment.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,458 Times in 3,669 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watercolours are really tough. With acrylics you can paint over your mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol Why did your wife kick you off the kitchen table?
    I had a slight misunderstanding with an X-Acto knife

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reutte View Post
    Hey Queen Gwenevere, may I chime in with a question?

For beginning painting, do you recommend starting with acrylics or will watercolors work? I was thinking about getting a simple set of water colors to try out because acrylics feel too advance for me at the moment.
    If it's a choice between acrylic and watercolor, go for acrylic... Watercolor is a tricky beast, and it's harder to control than acrylic.

Although personally I found oils were the easiest to learn with... I'd been using acrylics before I tried oils, and found acrylic a little frustrating, partly because it dried too fast for me and partly because the color would shift when it dried. With oil, it felt more like the paint did what I wanted it to.

Though some people like acrylic just fine, so your mileage may vary. And I think newer acrylics don't change color as much (not sure, but that's what I've heard?) And acrylic is pretty affordable, so if you try it and it all turns into a huge mess, it's no great loss...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget to prep the paper for watercolor if you decide to use that medium.
    Oh the sad stories of hilly paper artworks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.