Trying to take a more serious path with my art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to take a more serious path with my art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey all,

I'm going to become a lot more serious with my art since I'm moving back home for a traditional university for art. (Computer Animation, but I've been told it's mainly focused on Art) Full Sail has taught me just a small portion of the basics, but I know it's up to me to take that and flourish it myself. Now with this in mind I've been reading a lot of comic books, Manga, Art, etc. Just to get everyone's take on how they go about art in their life. What I've mainly been reading is all the materials seem to be the same. So what would you guys say are your must needed weapons at home? Like if you were to have your own Art Studio; which is what I plan to do.

Also, what do you guys recommend for a Drafting Table? I currently have this,
    http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Co-Craft...5821619&sr=1-6

without all the extra add on stuff, wheels, etc. I received it for Christmas last year.

Now this is what I currently want;
    http://www.draftingtables.com/drafti...ueglasstop.cfm

Any recommendations, reviews, advice, or just talking is wanted.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would work more on getting the fundamentals down. Rather then buying new equipment.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drafting table you have looks perfectly adequate. I used to use the kitchen table till the wife kicked me off.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AvP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol Why did your wife kick you off the kitchen table?

Of course working on the fundamentals is the most important, but since I have the money to due so am I not allowed to get something that I'll enjoy while I work on my fundamentals?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Iso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think more paper and pencils are a better investment.

Last edited by Flashback; April 30th, 2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: .
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pencils, pens, brushes, paper (110lb Card stock), erasers, clipboard. Newspaper/table cheap set of student paints. That is all you need to learn.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have money to spend, I'd build a good collection of photo reference books, hmm and I'd get a couple of mannequins/sculptures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have your priorities mixed up. Reading more comics and buying a fancy new see-through table isn't taking art more seriously, it's usually, in my experience, a sign of the opposite.

It's like losing weight, you have to sweat before anything remotely substantial starts to happen. Your work has to be the main engine, the rest are just nice extra's at best.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... I guess I should have said all of this already. I have enough paper, pencils, I don't paint or like doing it, I have pens, reference books, etc. I have a shelf full of the stuff. That's not what I'm asking about. You guys are misunderstanding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you feel that reading manga and dropping cash
    on a fancy table is the next step on the path to becoming
    a better artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reading Manga has nothing to do with what I said. I said that's what I was doing and all of the books spoke of the materials they used. Me becoming a better artist has nothing to do with the table. It's just something to enjoy for myself. I have the mindset of becoming better on my own, with or without the table. It's just a plus since I can get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    Hey all,

I'm going to become a lot more serious with my art since I'm moving back home for a traditional university for art. (Computer Animation, but I've been told it's mainly focused on Art) Full Sail has taught me just a small portion of the basics, but I know it's up to me to take that and flourish it myself. Now with this in mind I've been reading a lot of comic books, Manga, Art, etc. Just to get everyone's take on how they go about art in their life. What I've mainly been reading is all the materials seem to be the same. So what would you guys say are your must needed weapons at home? Like if you were to have your own Art Studio; which is what I plan to do.

Any recommendations, reviews, advice, or just talking is wanted.
    I am referring to your initial post. You don't need another table. Rather
    save the cash or keep it handy for future art supplies.

As mentioned already, all you need to become a serious artist are
    those papers and pencils and life studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since I have the money to due so am I not allowed to get something that I'll enjoy while I work on my fundamentals?
    Of course you're allowed to get it.
    It is your money after all.

I'm confused though, as to why you want a new drafting table. As AvP said, the one you have looks fine.

But you're right, the table is irrelevant to you becoming a good artist. Knowing that, do you still want it? (or why would you still want it?)

You say you have enough pencils, paper etc. What if that runs out? If you really do plan on being serious about your art that will happen sooner rather than later.

Feel like kicking some artistic butt this year?
    Come check out the new subforum
    Beginners Challenges and Activities

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what I said; it was an opening sentence. I want the drafting table because it seems a lot more convenient. The blue glass' dimensions are smaller than the white one (I think, still researching), it folds up into a much better position to take with me to college in the Fall semester, where as the white one could not fit without being put into the truck slanted. Theres an Art Supply store in my area that I'm always at during my visits, so thats another reason I'm not worried about supplies.

Also, it doesn't seem like anyone is paying attention to my last couple of sentences about an Art Studio, or what you guys would have in yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Also, it doesn't seem like anyone is paying attention to my last couple of sentences about an Art Studio, or what you guys would have in yours.
    To be honest, (and I mean no offense by this) but it doesn't seem like you're paying attention to what everyone else is saying. I don't think anyone had a studio when they started out, just plain ol pencil and paper as stated.

But I appreciate that the table you have might not be convenient, have you looked into tabletop or portable drafting tables. Twice as convenient and at almost half the cost.

EDIT: forgot to add that I'm currently using one of these I got for half price in the ads section of a local newspaper. It does the job. Check around to see if you can get the best bang for your buck.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Indrik_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to say it, but if you really want to get serious about learning art, learning to paint is a really good idea. You're going to need to learn about color sometime, and painting is the best way to do so.

Otherwise, yeah, all you really need is lots of paper and lots of basic drawing materials (pencils, charcoal, conte, whatever floats your boat...)

I'm not sure what help it would be to hear about other people's ideal supplies? What you use ultimately depends on what you like to do, and everybody has different preferences.

For my part, I have, well, let's see: lots of paper, sketchbooks, pencils, ink, pens, inking brushes, assorted rulers and triangles and so forth, Bristol board, watercolor and gouache that I don't use much yet, canvases and panels, oil paint, acrylic paint, assorted mediums to use with said paint, brushes for all kinds of paint, a cheapo drafting table and a cheapo lightweight easel. Probably the fanciest things I have are a basic projector and a hand-me-down light box that I don't use much... And an old airbrush somewhere that I haven't used in decades...

And a computer, scanner, and tablet, of course.

But most of it is... Well... Yeah, paper and canvas, miscellaneous drawing implements, ink, paint, and brushes. That's really all you need. Plus a computer if you do digital. But for learning, you're better off working mostly traditional for a while anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Considering the amount of time I spent drawing where ever I went, a drafting table was the least of my worries. So I agree that maybe a portable solution may help for having a solid surface for certain kinds of drawings, but you don't need a "better drafting table" to be serious about art.

I just got my art studio working now but I still spend time drawing in sketchbooks on location to get better at drawing. A drafting table is when I want to work on more finished works - which is to say is few right now because learning art, the majority of it is spent time sketching and learning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get whatever table/chair that allows you to have better posture so you can actually draw more before heading off the to physio to get your back fixed...which is more expensive than that table.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frostblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I shall and thank you. And I do understand what they're saying, but I'm not new to drawing. I've been doing since I could hold a pencil, I just let other things get in my way. I'm weird. Materialistic things keep my mind occupied long enough to do what it is. Like... I don't play my game system without an HDTV anymore because I've experienced for too long. Having a set place for me to chill out, work on some studies, and then not have to worry about moving stuff to keep the area clean is awesome.

My current Table is alright, but doesn't appeal to my eye. It was a gift so I didn't show disrespect my saying I didn't want it. With the Blue glass one, I can double up and use it as a light table when needed. The extra assortment holdings on the side also come in handy instead of having all my tools roll off the table.

Why does painting equal the best way to learn about color? Now I'm interested because color makes me angry. Oh yeah! I need a Printer/Scanner as well... And I'm inside most of the time, but I see what you mean. I dont have an awesome chair that lets me adjust it, lean back, etc. In fact I don't even know if my mum still has those kinds of chairs in the house.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I am referring to your initial post. You don't need another table. Rather save the cash or keep it handy for future art supplies.
    Gotta agree with this. At some point when you have advanced with drawing and started to notice things you would need and are missing you are likely to go "oh I wish I had money for a new digital camera so I could take ref photos/new scanner now that my old broke/legal full Photoshop/tablet/etc instead of now having two completely good and expensive tables".
    And at that point you may start to question whether thing X you bought now is really that good, even if thing X is bit more pretty than old thing Y.

My suggestion too would be that you save the money and just start drawing and try to work out what you really end up needing, not asking what everyone else uses so you could buy the same. Build your studio from your own experience.
    Though, some wire and sculpey are nice to have around the house when you're uncertain about how something looks in 3D, but again, whether buying those is helpful to you at this point is another thing.

Also... if you have to rely on materialistic stuff to do stuff, it doesn't really sound very good...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What did u guys expect from a full sail graduate?

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh... I didn't graduate Full Sail. I'm actually leaving Full Sail before the second semester to attend Sam Houston State University. So your statement should be voided.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I shall and thank you. And I do understand what they're saying, but I'm not new to drawing.
    You may not be new to drawing but...your frustration with your school and your mention of eying materialistic things is going to do harm than good in this case.

As for painting, it's the best way to learn mass drawing and mixing colors so you understand how to use color more effectively. So you have more to gain from painting than just grabbing a digital color program or colored pencils.

Painting is not just about oils but watercolor too, both are different mediums but give you a lot to work with and learn. That's not to say you can only do one by the way, many painters do works in both.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'sides painting is fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So with painting would that be during or after I got through the fundamentals of art? I have a friend who loves painting, so I could watch him do it a few times. He's actually really good and loves color. I don't because I see many people mix color wonderfully, but I can't do it. Yeah, I know it's a lame reason, but that's why I don't like painting/coloring.

EDIT: Paint splattering is fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So with painting would that be during or after I got through the fundamentals of art? I have a friend who loves painting, so I could watch him do it a few times. He's actually really good and loves color. I don't because I see many people mix color wonderfully, but I can't do it. Yeah, I know it's a lame reason, but that's why I don't like painting/coloring.

EDIT: Paint splattering is fun.
    It can be during but usually more stricter regimes ask you to learn drawing first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see many people mix color wonderfully, but I can't do it.
    But you can learn to do it! That's the beauty of it after all no-one was born with a paintbrush in their hand .....I think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Idle-Elk View Post
    But you can learn to do it! That's the beauty of it after all no-one was born with a paintbrush in their hand .....I think...
    How do I accomplish such a wonderful task?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://blog.ellusionist.com/wp-conte...-11309047.jpeg

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take that money you were going to use on that drafting table, buy a good set of paints and some brushes, and paint til your arms fall off.

I'm not the best at painting either (kinda crap in fact) but once you learn to love the process things get much easier. Invest in a good colour theory book as well.

It's kinda played out and clichéd at this point but good practice really does go a long way.

EDIT: Beat me to it Arshes Nei

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.