Nikolai Blokhin

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Nikolai Blokhin

Thanks

Nikolai Blokhin

Hey guys, can anyone understand what this guy uses? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSyALxsk6o

it seems like pastel in the beggining and then compressed charcoal or pastel again but I'm not sure.. maybe a mix..it looks a bit coloured..

Last edited by ezion; May 2nd, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,393 Posts
    Pastel, kneaded eraser (maybe), fingers, pastel pencil, cosmetic wedges, and tortillon.

Might be compressed charcoal in a few black strokes, but probably hard pastel.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianRaider View Post
    thanks!

Thanks
    Ezion,

Yes, it's SAUCE.
    Sometimes he uses it dry, sometimes he paints with it (he makes a powder out of them and mix it with water).

However, Nikolay doesn't use the ones made by Yarka.
    We both buy them at the same art store, located nearby the Academy. They're made in Moscow, by Podolsk-Art manufacture. A rear clay is among its ingredients. Very silky and smooth.
    Here is a link to original one. You can also buy it on Amazon.

Last edited by Book Guru; May 3rd, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    www.4-art.org - art educational books
    www.Practicum.org - art educational portal
    guru@4-art.org - my direct e-mail
    Russian Academy of Arts thread - all about it

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Book Guru View Post
    Ezion,

Yes, it's SAUCE.
    Sometimes he uses it dry, sometimes he paints with it (he makes a powder out of them and mix it with water).

However, Nikolay doesn't use the ones made by Yarka.
    We both buy them at the same art store, located nearby the Academy. They're made in Moscow, by Podolsk-Art manufacture. A rear clay is among its ingredients. Very silky and smooth.
    Here is a link to original one. You can also buy it on Amazon.
    hey, thanks! you know the guy ? XD he is amazing isn't he? oh, I'll send you a message about the school there so check your inbox when you can

Thanks
    Thanks for the link, Book Guru! Very handy! Do you happen to know if there a way to get that orange-ish eraser used in architectural drawings? I can't remember the name, I hope you get me!

Thanks
    Ezion,

Hey, you're welcome!
    Yes, I know the guy.
    Soon he'll have a personal exhibition at the Academy Exhibition Hall. I'll make sure to take pictures and post them in my Russian related thread.
    I think the exhibition has been moved from May to September.
    I was in his studio a couple of weeks ago, have seen the paintings he's working on now preparing for this exhibition.
    I really like his drawings, Nikolay is a unique draftsman, I think one of the best nowadays. It's amazing what he can do with all different media to achieve the painting-like look. That's why I was happy to see his preliminary studies as they're done with charcoal, sauce, etc. I wish he'd made two versions of each work - to leave one as a drawing and to make another one a painting.
    Don't take me wrong though, I like his painting as well. But I'm really a fanatic of drawings; I prefer many other artists drawings rather than paintings. Actually, I've re-discovered Bronzino only after seeing his amazing drawings. Since then he's among my favorite artists. And Annibale Carracci... and many others... With this subject I really have to force myself to stop talking...

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

Thanks
    GaussianRaider,

I guess the easiest way to get an orange eraser is from the "Europe'sLargestActiveVolcano", but I better ask at our Academy art supplies store. At this moment I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Book Guru View Post
    Ezion,

Hey, you're welcome!
    Yes, I know the guy.
    Soon he'll have a personal exhibition at the Academy Exhibition Hall. I'll make sure to take pictures and post them in my Russian related thread.
    I think the exhibition has been moved from May to September.
    I was in his studio a couple of weeks ago, have seen the paintings he's working on now preparing for this exhibition.
    I really like his drawings, Nikolay is a unique draftsman, I think one of the best nowadays. It's amazing what he can do with all different media to achieve the painting-like look. That's why I was happy to see his preliminary studies as they're done with charcoal, sauce, etc. I wish he'd made two versions of each work - to leave one as a drawing and to make another one a painting.
    Don't take me wrong though, I like his painting as well. But I'm really a fanatic of drawings; I prefer many other artists drawings rather than paintings. Actually, I've re-discovered Bronzino only after seeing his amazing drawings. Since then he's among my favorite artists. And Annibale Carracci... and many others... With this subject I really have to force myself to stop talking...

haha, yeah, sometimes a drawing is better than a painting. I as well like his drawings more (the best I've seen till now) , but his portraits( paintings) are also amazing. He has achieved a ''simplicity'' that blows my mind away. (actually they seem simple but I understand that they are actually veeery hard to be drawn, and that's why I admire him. and for his expression also)
    Annibale Carracci is one of my favourites!

So are you an artist yourself?

Thanks
    Ezion,
    No, not an artist, though I had some basic studying.
    I used to work as a graphic designer -> web designer -> moving to the publishing industry and now staying there. I'm involved with several projects run by the Russian Academy of Arts and obviously familiar with many Russian artists and of course those who teach at the Academy...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.