Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 748 Posts

Iow #24 - GAME OVER

Iow #24 - GAME OVER

Illustration of the Week #24: GAME OVER

This is a two week topic. This weeks topic was suggested by Kuroyue.

Topic
    This weeks topic is : GAME OVER. In contrast to the past couple of weeks this one will be left completely open to interpretation. Let loose and have fun--you can do basically anything here, obviously video game related things are a possibility, but don't feel limited to that. One thing that I will say however is to really push the story side of this illustration, and make sure that when someone sees it and knows the topic they will make the connection and not just scratch their head.

Deadline
    The deadline is Sunday 13th of May, 23:59 GMT

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vadar
    No! Noooo!
    Attachment 1471640

Just an idea sketch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trying to push my art so I thought I would try this chalange for the first time =3 So here is my first idea. Ignore wonky face of background girl just getting sketch down.

Thanks
    quick sketch up of my idea.

Thanks
    1st WIP
    Free for commissioned work

Thanks
    2nd WIP

Thanks
    Okay, can't resist this one.
    "You're too late heroes - I've already won! Ahahahahahahaha"
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Thought it's time I try my hand at one of these contests. Nnn. So far I have this:
    Iow #24 - GAME OVER

Thanks
    @meteorcat

your image looks like a still from the movie gladiator.... I do not think copying a movie frame is the best idea for this contest.

Thanks
    I love the open ended topics. Here's where I'm at so far!

IntoTheVoid- looks like we came up with similar ideas, I promise that was unintentional

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dahlia - no worries. I'm centering mine more around the villain, so I'm happy to see someone exploring the other side of the coin

warburton - thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll make a few more compositional thumbnails to see what works best.
    Of your thumbnails, #1 is one I'd associate with the phrase "game over" even if I hadn't read the theme's description. Very powerful mood.

niffick - EXTREME paintball! It's like real war, but with paint. And the paint is FATAL
    But is there a reason he's shirtless?
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonsters View Post
    @meteorcat

your image looks like a still from the movie gladiator.... I do not think copying a movie frame is the best idea for this contest.
    It truly is a screencap from Gladiator I have no intention of hiding that and if it's against the rules I'll take it down, I'm sorry. Currently, I only really know how to 'copy' what I see so I thought it would be okay to just showcase technique and observation but if it's frowned upon I truly don't wish to ruin these wonderful activities.
    Again, I'm sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 709 Posts
    MeteorCat: Not so much as frowned upon but rather these activites are meant to encourage creativity, of course copying an image that already exists isn't very creative. If you have trouble capturing an image in your mind as opposed to an image that you see, first try to draw out a very rough idea of what your thinking, use thumbnails to make a rough comp and silhouettes/doodles to help build up your ideas even further, and if needed (I highly recommend that you do) use reference if your unsure about how some things look. Clothes, faces, lighting on materials, etc. It's always harder to paint things without a picture in front of you but referencing can help with that so long as you have a basic idea of what materials and lighting conditions you have in your idea.

I would recommend you keep working on that screenshot though, it's always good practise to study what already exists to have a better understanding of lighting, forms, etc...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Working out a few things.

Thanks
    continue haha, his face is priceless

voodoowolf good idea and start, try doing some more sketches and gesture studies to nail to action more.

meteorcat Interesting start, is this a film still from Gladiator? Try to use your own imagination and ideas for the final illustration though. Don't be afraid or ashamed of your skills, thats what these contests are about. Just try your best to push your own ideas, and use film stills and stuff as ref or studies. You'll probably be suprised at how well you can do if you focus and push yourself, and if not, thats cool too because it just means you know what to improve upon. Only from making mistakes can we learn and become beter. The great thing about this place is if you get stuck theres always people who are willing to help too, so don't be afraid to take a leap out of your comfort zone, thats what its all about, just try to improve yourself and have fun

intothevoid Haha, cool idea. Try doing some more comp studies and push your idea further. Also bear in mind square illustrations can be very hard to achieve, composition wise, especially with a fast paced subject matter like your own. Keep pushin, i want to see it in the finals

niffick Defiantly game over, abit early to crit but the ideas there, keep pushing it and i look forward to seeing it pushed further.

dahlia A solid start, its abit unclear who or what the characters aredoing though. Try to push gestures and facial expressions to express the characters more and what their doing.

aria nice comp and interesting idea, keep pushing it, and just a suggestion, but make the chick bigger because she doesnt fit in the image all that well being the main focal point and the smallest aspect of the image.

Heres a few quick thumbnails i came up with. number 4 is from a previous idea i never chased up but this might be a good excuse to finish it.

I'm thinking of running with either 1 or 4 but i'm not sure...
    Any input would be greatly appreciated

Iow #24 - GAME OVER

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast