Thanks

Google & Blogger content licensing.

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been posted or covered elsewhere already, if so, feel free to shift it accordingly.

Like many of the members of this community, I use a Blogger site to share my work online. Recently, Google/Blogger asked all users to update their blogs as part of some kind of universal new-style-account-switch-over.

When I came to do this today I was asked to log in, but not before I read Google/Blogger's terms and conditions. They can be found here.

Amongst the terms found at that link, I also found this:

Your Content in our Services

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

You can find more information about how Google uses and stores content in the privacy policy or additional terms for particular Services. If you submit feedback or suggestions about our Services, we may use your feedback or suggestions without obligation to you.
    The part of the quote which concerns me is highlighted.

How does this impact those working as professional artists (or any professionals who upload content of any kind to these blogs for that matter) such as myself and many of this community's members?

I don't object to it as such because this particular blogging service is free, and therefore can have as many strings attached as it pleases - but this does impact on how it is used, and how ready I am as an artist to use it to safely host and promote my work.

Does the creative community have a stance on this, if so, what is it?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Read on: "The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

This means that they are allowed, for example, to make and show thumbnails of your images. Not that they can take them and profit from them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

You can find more information about how Google uses and stores content in the privacy policy or additional terms for particular Services. If you submit feedback or suggestions about our Services, we may use your feedback or suggestions without obligation to you.
    Could this not be interpreted as them having the right to sell on your work for the benefit of their service (read: their benefit) or at some point, license your work to someone else who might.

I'm not so big headed that I'd assume that someone as huge as Google would put in this much effort towards infringing on my work, but I'm not naive either, and am aware that history is littered with victims of the dreaded small print.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Geez, didn't we just have this conversation about Facebook?

If that's not good enough for you, don't use blogger etc, there are plenty of alternatives. You'll probably find similar language in their TOS as well, though.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Also, I'll bet a bazillion dollars that, for everyone who loses sleep over this, not a one of them will have taken the time and expense to actually register their work with the US Copyright Office, which would actually give them some legal recourse in the unlikely event of an infringement.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Also, I'll bet a bazillion dollars that, for everyone who loses sleep over this, not a one of them will have taken the time and expense to actually register their work with the US Copyright Office, which would actually give them some legal recourse in the unlikely event of an infringement.
    Well not everyone lives in US and from my experience dealing with any kind of institution through internet can be quite a pain...

Still, as someone wise once said: dont want your work be stolen/abused by someone else = dont throw it out to internet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jri View Post
    Could this not be interpreted as them having the right to sell on your work for the benefit of their service (read: their benefit) or at some point, license your work to someone else who might.
    If you're not putting high-resolution work up, who are they going to sell it to and for what purpose? You can't print a low-res file at any reasonable size. You can't make a t-shirt out of it. Anybody who would use it for a website could just go to your blog and download it for free.

If you are already taking steps to protect yourself against random copyright infringers, Google can't really do anything more to you.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki