Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,457
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,458 Posts

    Kimberly Popes amazing Game of Thrones concept art

    Homepage, zillionsa of amazing images here

    http://www.kimberleypope.com/Kimberl...ncept_art.html

    Kimberly Popes amazing Game of Thrones concept art

    Kimberly Popes amazing Game of Thrones concept art

    Kimberly Popes amazing Game of Thrones concept art


    Kimberly Popes amazing Game of Thrones concept art
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:


  4. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    974
    Thanks
    617
    Thanked 449 Times in 245 Posts
    Stunning artwork!

    I have a new idol

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    I like her ideas, I do not like her execution.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,202
    Thanks
    4,876
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Her ideas are what they are paying her for.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 107 Times in 91 Posts
    Those are awesome. Too bad the Sept of Baelor didn't make the cut.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,797
    Thanks
    2,276
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Great stuff, I hope she didn't design that dress Margaery wore cuz D: She looked like an embroidered drumstick cone.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm really impressed with the production design team on the show. They obviously didn't need to have the concepts spelled out for them. All they needed was a good idea to roll with.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    667
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 65 Times in 39 Posts
    Oh Nice Thanks for the link. I thought her stuff looked familiar. I remember seeing it from when I worked on Scott Pilgrim a couple years ago.

    I like the look of dragonstone. I was wondering how far they would go away from the standard look of a castle and how many of the pieces were going to be stone dragons. Those are great.

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    canada, from russia
    Posts
    3,369
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 443 Times in 357 Posts
    I liked the execution a lot actually. I am just really frustrated by the thumbnail sized images. I am not a thumbnail man myself, give me a full screen view, or you are selling your own art work short. For me, anyway, don't know how you guys feel.

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks
    1,170
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Her ideas are what they are paying her for.
    But don't a lot of people need to bring both to the table?

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,202
    Thanks
    4,876
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Let me clarify: I don't find any fault with her execution, it does what it needs to do, which is establish general design, look, and mood, that then can be handed off to other members of the team for either virtual modeling or actual fabrication. Its job is not to be a beautiful piece of artwork, its job is to make it possible for other people to do their jobs. And to do that, whether it's in the au courant chunky square brush style or not is completely irrelevant. I wish there were more actual real concept art like this out there, rather than polished up or after the fact "hero" pieces released for publicity.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  19. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks
    1,170
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    ...and also, having thought about it, who knows how many of these things she has to kick out each week.

  21. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    AWESOME!! Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for Game of Thrones concept art for a while! I'm doing motion comics stuff for the season 2 blu ray and wanted some inspiration. THANK YOU!!
    Ray Dillon - Artist & Writer
    CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)
    • Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones" (IDW)
    • Peter S. Beagle "The Last Unicorn" (IDW; NYT Best-Seller!)
    .COM | Blog | Sketch | FB | uTube | DA | TWITTER!

  22. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dancing with two Persian cats
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    1,101
    Thanked 368 Times in 228 Posts
    Wow amazing stuff! And this does look like what I expect movie production art to be. Lots of photos, and heavily textured. I mean, you're just handing these pieces around to builders who basically had to build the scene from scratch. The clarity is definitely way more important than beautiful brush strokes here.

  23. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,202
    Thanks
    4,876
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dillon View Post
    AWESOME!! Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for Game of Thrones concept art for a while! I'm doing motion comics stuff for the season 2 blu ray and wanted some inspiration. THANK YOU!!
    Ray, did you work on the animations for the season 1 blu ray, or do you know who did?

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    683
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 229 Times in 210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Ray, did you work on the animations for the season 1 blu ray, or do you know who did?
    Mike Butkus:

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...150961&page=86

  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:


  27. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 774 Times in 261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel cheetah View Post
    Mike Butkus:
    Huh, you're right. Thanks; I've also been wondering who did those.

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,457
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Mike is such a king, its crazy seeing his artwork for awesome movies like Robocop right up to the present day.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  29. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    Oh, awesome! I'd been trying to find his work too! Great stuff!

    Nope, didn't do any of Season 1, just getting started on this stuff now. Did my first frame now have like 30 to do, maybe more. My wife Renae De Liz is doing some too!
    Ray Dillon - Artist & Writer
    CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)
    • Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones" (IDW)
    • Peter S. Beagle "The Last Unicorn" (IDW; NYT Best-Seller!)
    .COM | Blog | Sketch | FB | uTube | DA | TWITTER!

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray Dillon For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    a dark forest in Germany
    Posts
    1,265
    Thanks
    4,331
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    hey Velocity its the 6th of may of 2012 and we still dont have a "weapons of mass creation 2012" thread....do it , do it ! its your thing so no matter how often youll state " its free for all do what ever you want! " they ( including me ) wont do it

  32. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    That's one classy featurette. The only thing missing from the show is the specifics of their history. I think they couldn't have handled it better. Aside from making it exclusively for blue ray.

    Ray-Congratulations! You have made us all jealous. I wish you good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:


  34. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    Hey, thank you very much, Raoul. That's a very nice thing to say. I'll make sure to post the progress as I get clearance too.
    Ray Dillon - Artist & Writer
    CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)
    • Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones" (IDW)
    • Peter S. Beagle "The Last Unicorn" (IDW; NYT Best-Seller!)
    .COM | Blog | Sketch | FB | uTube | DA | TWITTER!

  35. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Let me clarify: I don't find any fault with her execution, it does what it needs to do, which is establish general design, look, and mood, that then can be handed off to other members of the team for either virtual modeling or actual fabrication. Its job is not to be a beautiful piece of artwork, its job is to make it possible for other people to do their jobs. And to do that, whether it's in the au courant chunky square brush style or not is completely irrelevant. I wish there were more actual real concept art like this out there, rather than polished up or after the fact "hero" pieces released for publicity.
    You make a valid point. But a true professional should be able to make an idea look good and readable with a few dabs of paint and pencil strokes. Isn't that what we are taught to do? Also if you look at the paintings, she looks like she spent quite some time on that fire and on other details, which leads me to believe she doesn't grasp the concept of less is more.

    I believe professional art should look well... technically proficient, whether it's concept pieces that are part of a pipe line or finished show pieces.

    So yes, in my opinion, concept art should look good and readable to translate well down the production pipeline.

  36. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,457
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,458 Posts
    "hey Velocity its the 6th of may of 2012 and we still dont have a "weapons of mass creation 2012" thread....do it , do it ! its your thing so no matter how often youll state " its free for all do what ever you want! " they ( including me ) wont do it "

    hahaha you swine. i did start one then immediately got swamped with work that im only now finishing.
    send me links to stuff that should go in there, im as suited to the role of arbiter of public good taste as Gary Glitter is to being a babysitter

    here Weapons of Mass Creation 2012...its free for all do what ever you want!

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=234571
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Abyss, Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,925
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    You make a valid point. But a true professional should be able to make an idea look good and readable with a few dabs of paint and pencil strokes. Isn't that what we are taught to do? Also if you look at the paintings, she looks like she spent quite some time on that fire and on other details, which leads me to believe she doesn't grasp the concept of less is more.

    I believe professional art should look well... technically proficient, whether it's concept pieces that are part of a pipe line or finished show pieces.

    So yes, in my opinion, concept art should look good and readable to translate well down the production pipeline.
    Aren't you mixing up professionalism and style? Some artists are adept at a pared down approach and can imply all sorts of things with a flick of the pencil whereas others render till the cows come home. Both can be professional approaches, as can the wealth of differences between. The artist is professional when they meet the requirements appropriately and to the best of their abilities. The method is bespoke and arbitrary to the clients brief.

    I personally think these 'do their job' well! Do I want one on my wall? No, they're concept pieces for a TV show, not gallery art.

  39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:


  40. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    Aren't you mixing up professionalism and style? Some artists are adept at a pared down approach and can imply all sorts of things with a flick of the pencil whereas others render till the cows come home. Both can be professional approaches, as can the wealth of differences between. The artist is professional when they meet the requirements appropriately and to the best of their abilities. The method is bespoke and arbitrary to the clients brief.

    I personally think these 'do their job' well! Do I want one on my wall? No, they're concept pieces for a TV show, not gallery art.
    Hmm, I don't think so. Shouldn't style and professionalism walk hand in hand?

    The thing is I'm not talking about rendering to the nth degree. Technical prowess should be evident in any part of the process. As an example just take a look at Velocity Kendall's Weapon's of Mass Creation post. It's evident that these artists, whether sketching or doing a full blown out rendered painting, possess the technical skill to make either look good and readable.

    What I'm trying to say in not so many words is that having a good idea is half the battle; presenting it properly and with proficiency is just as equally important.

    Or else what the glop are we all doing here? Food for thought!!

  41. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    That first one is stunning. Completely amazing.

  42. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,233
    Thanks
    860
    Thanked 849 Times in 457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    Hmm, I don't think so. Shouldn't style and professionalism walk hand in hand?
    No, it shouldn't. It's concept art. It's not meant to look good, it's meant to communicate an idea. Their priorities are to get the best ideas possible down and legible in the least amount of time. Most concept art doesn't look that good. What you think it good concept art to "your taste" is probably the crap ton of marketing art that's masquerading as concept art by marketing types. Heck, a lot of times, stuff in games and movies are even modified after the concept art was done. No game EVER looks like the concept art. At the start, sure, but then they get to iterating and the next thing you know, it looks completely different.


    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    Hmm
    The thing is I'm not talking about rendering to the nth degree. Technical prowess should be evident in any part of the process. As an example just take a look at Velocity Kendall's Weapon's of Mass Creation post. It's evident that these artists, whether sketching or doing a full blown out rendered painting, possess the technical skill to make either look good and readable.

    What I'm trying to say in not so many words is that having a good idea is half the battle; presenting it properly and with proficiency is just as equally important.

    Or else what the glop are we all doing here? Food for thought!!
    The best render ever isn't going to do anything if the ideas are crap or if it takes a week to do a character. Maybe someone else has a style that is more to your liking, but it's irrelevant to their job.

  43. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,457
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,458 Posts
    look at the way shes crafted those red Xs, its amazing.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  44. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,797
    Thanks
    2,276
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    look at the way shes crafted those red Xs, its amazing.
    Someone's gotta pay for the bandwidth!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Game of thrones
    By AmyRedd in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: January 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
  2. Game of Thrones - help
    By matthewactual in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
  3. Art: New Art for A Game of Thrones and more
    By Felicia in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM
  4. Art: CCG Art: A Game of Thrones
    By Capprotti in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast