Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Kimberly Popes amazing Game of Thrones concept art

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stunning artwork!

I have a new idol

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like her ideas, I do not like her execution.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her ideas are what they are paying her for.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are awesome. Too bad the Sept of Baelor didn't make the cut.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, I hope she didn't design that dress Margaery wore cuz D: She looked like an embroidered drumstick cone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really impressed with the production design team on the show. They obviously didn't need to have the concepts spelled out for them. All they needed was a good idea to roll with.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Nice Thanks for the link. I thought her stuff looked familiar. I remember seeing it from when I worked on Scott Pilgrim a couple years ago.

I like the look of dragonstone. I was wondering how far they would go away from the standard look of a castle and how many of the pieces were going to be stone dragons. Those are great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked the execution a lot actually. I am just really frustrated by the thumbnail sized images. I am not a thumbnail man myself, give me a full screen view, or you are selling your own art work short. For me, anyway, don't know how you guys feel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Her ideas are what they are paying her for.
    But don't a lot of people need to bring both to the table?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me clarify: I don't find any fault with her execution, it does what it needs to do, which is establish general design, look, and mood, that then can be handed off to other members of the team for either virtual modeling or actual fabrication. Its job is not to be a beautiful piece of artwork, its job is to make it possible for other people to do their jobs. And to do that, whether it's in the au courant chunky square brush style or not is completely irrelevant. I wish there were more actual real concept art like this out there, rather than polished up or after the fact "hero" pieces released for publicity.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...and also, having thought about it, who knows how many of these things she has to kick out each week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AWESOME!! Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for Game of Thrones concept art for a while! I'm doing motion comics stuff for the season 2 blu ray and wanted some inspiration. THANK YOU!!

Ray Dillon - Artist & Writer
    CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)
    • Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones" (IDW)
    • Peter S. Beagle "The Last Unicorn" (IDW; NYT Best-Seller!)
    .COM | Blog | Sketch | FB | uTube | DA | TWITTER!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow amazing stuff! And this does look like what I expect movie production art to be. Lots of photos, and heavily textured. I mean, you're just handing these pieces around to builders who basically had to build the scene from scratch. The clarity is definitely way more important than beautiful brush strokes here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dillon View Post
    AWESOME!! Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for Game of Thrones concept art for a while! I'm doing motion comics stuff for the season 2 blu ray and wanted some inspiration. THANK YOU!!
    Ray, did you work on the animations for the season 1 blu ray, or do you know who did?

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ray, did you work on the animations for the season 1 blu ray, or do you know who did?
    Mike Butkus:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...150961&page=86

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel cheetah View Post
    Mike Butkus:
    Huh, you're right. Thanks; I've also been wondering who did those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike is such a king, its crazy seeing his artwork for awesome movies like Robocop right up to the present day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, awesome! I'd been trying to find his work too! Great stuff!

Nope, didn't do any of Season 1, just getting started on this stuff now. Did my first frame now have like 30 to do, maybe more. My wife Renae De Liz is doing some too!

CLIENTS: Science Channel, R.L. Stine, Todd McFarlane, Marvel, DC, IDW, Archie, Topps, Upperdeck, WB.
    • Ridley Scott's "Prophets of Science Fiction" (Issac Asimov, George Lucas) + "Meteorite Men" (Science Channel)
    • Mars Attacks: Popeye / Transformers / Real Ghostbusters / KISS / Robots vs. Zombies (IDW)

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray Dillon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey Velocity its the 6th of may of 2012 and we still dont have a "weapons of mass creation 2012" thread....do it , do it ! its your thing so no matter how often youll state " its free for all do what ever you want! " they ( including me ) wont do it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's one classy featurette. The only thing missing from the show is the specifics of their history. I think they couldn't have handled it better. Aside from making it exclusively for blue ray.

Ray-Congratulations! You have made us all jealous. I wish you good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thank you very much, Raoul. That's a very nice thing to say. I'll make sure to post the progress as I get clearance too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me clarify: I don't find any fault with her execution, it does what it needs to do, which is establish general design, look, and mood, that then can be handed off to other members of the team for either virtual modeling or actual fabrication. Its job is not to be a beautiful piece of artwork, its job is to make it possible for other people to do their jobs. And to do that, whether it's in the au courant chunky square brush style or not is completely irrelevant. I wish there were more actual real concept art like this out there, rather than polished up or after the fact "hero" pieces released for publicity.
    You make a valid point. But a true professional should be able to make an idea look good and readable with a few dabs of paint and pencil strokes. Isn't that what we are taught to do? Also if you look at the paintings, she looks like she spent quite some time on that fire and on other details, which leads me to believe she doesn't grasp the concept of less is more.

I believe professional art should look well... technically proficient, whether it's concept pieces that are part of a pipe line or finished show pieces.

So yes, in my opinion, concept art should look good and readable to translate well down the production pipeline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "hey Velocity its the 6th of may of 2012 and we still dont have a "weapons of mass creation 2012" thread....do it , do it ! its your thing so no matter how often youll state " its free for all do what ever you want! " they ( including me ) wont do it "

hahaha you swine. i did start one then immediately got swamped with work that im only now finishing.
    send me links to stuff that should go in there, im as suited to the role of arbiter of public good taste as Gary Glitter is to being a babysitter

here Weapons of Mass Creation 2012...its free for all do what ever you want!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=234571

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    You make a valid point. But a true professional should be able to make an idea look good and readable with a few dabs of paint and pencil strokes. Isn't that what we are taught to do? Also if you look at the paintings, she looks like she spent quite some time on that fire and on other details, which leads me to believe she doesn't grasp the concept of less is more.

I believe professional art should look well... technically proficient, whether it's concept pieces that are part of a pipe line or finished show pieces.

So yes, in my opinion, concept art should look good and readable to translate well down the production pipeline.
    Aren't you mixing up professionalism and style? Some artists are adept at a pared down approach and can imply all sorts of things with a flick of the pencil whereas others render till the cows come home. Both can be professional approaches, as can the wealth of differences between. The artist is professional when they meet the requirements appropriately and to the best of their abilities. The method is bespoke and arbitrary to the clients brief.

I personally think these 'do their job' well! Do I want one on my wall? No, they're concept pieces for a TV show, not gallery art.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    Aren't you mixing up professionalism and style? Some artists are adept at a pared down approach and can imply all sorts of things with a flick of the pencil whereas others render till the cows come home. Both can be professional approaches, as can the wealth of differences between. The artist is professional when they meet the requirements appropriately and to the best of their abilities. The method is bespoke and arbitrary to the clients brief.

I personally think these 'do their job' well! Do I want one on my wall? No, they're concept pieces for a TV show, not gallery art.
    Hmm, I don't think so. Shouldn't style and professionalism walk hand in hand?

The thing is I'm not talking about rendering to the nth degree. Technical prowess should be evident in any part of the process. As an example just take a look at Velocity Kendall's Weapon's of Mass Creation post. It's evident that these artists, whether sketching or doing a full blown out rendered painting, possess the technical skill to make either look good and readable.

What I'm trying to say in not so many words is that having a good idea is half the battle; presenting it properly and with proficiency is just as equally important.

Or else what the glop are we all doing here? Food for thought!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That first one is stunning. Completely amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I don't think so. Shouldn't style and professionalism walk hand in hand?
    No, it shouldn't. It's concept art. It's not meant to look good, it's meant to communicate an idea. Their priorities are to get the best ideas possible down and legible in the least amount of time. Most concept art doesn't look that good. What you think it good concept art to "your taste" is probably the crap ton of marketing art that's masquerading as concept art by marketing types. Heck, a lot of times, stuff in games and movies are even modified after the concept art was done. No game EVER looks like the concept art. At the start, sure, but then they get to iterating and the next thing you know, it looks completely different.

Hmm
    The thing is I'm not talking about rendering to the nth degree. Technical prowess should be evident in any part of the process. As an example just take a look at Velocity Kendall's Weapon's of Mass Creation post. It's evident that these artists, whether sketching or doing a full blown out rendered painting, possess the technical skill to make either look good and readable.

What I'm trying to say in not so many words is that having a good idea is half the battle; presenting it properly and with proficiency is just as equally important.

Or else what the glop are we all doing here? Food for thought!!
    The best render ever isn't going to do anything if the ideas are crap or if it takes a week to do a character. Maybe someone else has a style that is more to your liking, but it's irrelevant to their job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look at the way shes crafted those red Xs, its amazing.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    look at the way shes crafted those red Xs, its amazing.
    Someone's gotta pay for the bandwidth!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12