Sketchbook: Learning how to draw and paint - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your linework, it feels quite dynamic, wish i could easily adapt it into my work .

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like the amount of studies I see n your SB. From life and photo refs too. Cool. I can“t sketch on the bus. I would like to see some of these taken a bit further towards a finished piece maybe?

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn“t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx for dropping by m8.Much appreciated ,i really like your linework how do you do it?My lines still have uncertainty .Anyways digipainting on faces seems to be the less worked out skill so far i think.Your creatures are nice your enviros have improved since page 1, everything is getting better.The indian portait is muddy colored with pretty much the same color values check this http://illustrationisland.files.word...-wds.jpg?w=600
    The face is divided into color zones.I spend some time and still spending checking out works of the old masters.Check impressionists and expressionists fauvism you know art history i love portraits like this http://www.redeasel.com/.a/6a00e54ee...304f970c-450wi to enrichen (dunno if thats the word) your color pallete there are much more colors that we see in a photo study for example.
    I hope thats helpfull keep it up \m/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good going- Loomis is dead helpfull. I owe the guy a lot.How about some free hand perspective studies?

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your sb. Your skills are really coming along. It's good to see a bit of perspective practice as well. I am currently learning that at Uni. In fact I might post some of the work I have done for that. Thank you for the idea. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greyscale stuff is great enviros are ok iam not a speciallist but the values seem tottaly ok.Latest face not so good.You do the same thing as i do skew the picture.If you are in photoshop flip it to see miss allignment and if you are working with pencil mirrors could be usefull.In both cases use construction guides to find the perspective.In portraits one other way to quickly find perspective is to find the line from brow(part of the brow that goes to the side plane) to top of the ear.Hope thats helpfull.As for color check this book out http://www.scribd.com/doc/67533891/D...-Photoshop-CS3 it has some really interesting chapters for painting heads.
    Waiting to see more man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff. the environment perspective studies are comming along nicely. I really digg the latest boney creatures

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you working on perspective drawings, since perspective, in my opinion, will be the most helpful tool to have in your belt for drawing. But don't get too complicated with it at first. Work on freehand perspective drawings, as one poster mentioned above, whereby you set up various perspective planes in various types of perspectives, 1pt, 2pts, 3, etc., using combinations of different angles on the horizon line between the left and right vanishing points. Then, once you feel comfortable constructing freehand planes, I'd suggest moving on with boxes upon boxes upon boxes. As Loomis said, "Everything can be put into a box!". Then get into ellipses. Being able to freehand draw an ellipse takes time but it is an essential skill to have. From there build cylinders, then cones, and finally spheres. Then begin to combine these simple geo-forms (boxes, cylinders, cones, spheres) into more complex forms, intersecting them at various points, adding and subtracting from the forms. After just a few months of personally doing all of these exercises, it's become a game to walk around and look at objects in the world and imagine how I could deconstruct these "complex" forms and break them down into simple geo-forms - A fire extinguisher is a large cylinder with a curved cylinder for the hose, an iphone is a box with beveled edges, and you get the picture... Even the human figure can be broken down into understandable forms. The more you study these seemingly easy, boring things the more it becomes second nature and you'll find that you simply can't draw anything without taking these things into account. Sorry if the post was too long and if I kinda blabbed too much, but this stuff's exciting for me to talk about since I'm learning it all at the moment and feel like it's important to share. In all, keep up the great work!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pause Button? Youmean yu“ve been taking a break? Slacking off? Or took a screenshot?

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool beans man, I've been learning from loomis too, his perspective lessons are dense but helpful none the less haha.
    Good job on your paintings, if I could say one thing is that you seem to go a bit saturated on your color pallet (in my opinion)
    I would advice you to go grayer, everything I learned from painting I also learned from loomis on his book "Creative Illustration" Most of it is pretty focused on illustration but there is a section devoted to color theory and it has helped me a ton. You should check it out since the books are found free on the internet

Last edited by Conforimor; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! With the heads, I think you're going a bit too fast there, buddy. You don't seem to quite understand the form of the head, so I'd suggest taking a look at Loomis. Keep the stuff coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the color scheme of the background of your latest drawing! You had such nice structural lines going on in the drawing though, it was a shame to see the shapes got lost in the shading process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sb! you have issues with anatomy and proportion but just bump out studies and practices like you are nd you will see improvement in no time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    +1 to Kevin. Just keep at it with the studying proportions and whatnot. You're also lacking in construction in most of your drawings, so some perspective study will help you as well. Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool updates man. I dig the Hogarth stuff. I had a couple of his books back in secondary school. Scarred me for life. I thought I“d never amount to anything as i could not do what he did, not by longshot. But in later years I managed to learn from him against all odds. Keep it up

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go on with those studies, but be carefull with the legs proportions shown on some of the sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you do a lot of good practice man. Really good. Especially the anatomy is comendable. Great example. Cheers

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see you keeping up your studies. There“s some great work and they will pay off. Be assured of that. I feel your pain of the lost picture. It happens but it wont happen often after the first time. In terms of your anatomy studies, have you come across a site called posemaniacs? Really useful, helped me tons in my work. cheerio

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophil View Post
    yay - conceptart.org is back - I finally recovered from my golf arm and here are some life-signals.

Attachment 1775082Attachment 1775083
    The scull on this guy doesn't look quite right. You might want to pop another layer over it and try drawing a scull over the original faces, and see where things line up, and if you have things in the right place.

I'm new here and could always use some advice / criticism. Feel free to take a peak at my sketchbook if you have the time.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No worries mate you are doing great!!! Keep up understanding values and learn to draw and understand things as 3d and you will do fine. Dont worry about colors that much, so focus on values for now. This last one looks very promising , however while you did a nice simplification on the breasts [you know the form there] in the face there is confusion. Try watching that planes head, i think there are lots of images in google [search it like that "planes head"]
    Its already simplified so it will help you already. The face will come toghether without you knowing if you simply put down its major planes.

The mecha is a really important excersize in basic forms, very good doing that.
    Also 191# really cool, lovely forms. And your sketches up there really important

So you are on the right track, now keep sharing !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff in here man i really enjoy the perspective studies and the animal sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the pen studies. I did noticed that you tend to draw the legs rather short. Maybe it's because you try to fit them on a horizontal piece of paper and end up making them too short. The loomis leg study for example is really short and thick compared to the original.
    I really like the reptile drawings, the lines are very confident. I would like to see more like these.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig those thumbnails so muchh, also the countless character thumbs you did and the construction studies which you told me to do more of. Great stuff and assignments.

Also advice regarding digital : Refrain from using the soft part of brushes. All you need is the hard part of the brush. Get it to at least 75 hardness to give a certain in-between but no more than that. Also practic alt+tabbing the values and mixing them. YOu can also change the opacity of the brush with the numbers on the keyboard.

Just stay away from the soft brush as much as possible and I'd recommend also learning how to use the RGB slider. Once you learn that , your colors will look mor vibrant than just plainly using the HSV slider which is sometimes too ... simple.

Great stuff though! Keep going

Please visit , comment , critique and have a chat with me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sketchbook, thanks for sharing. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studyes!You definitely have feeling of lines.

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great lines +1! I'm just super obsessive with clean and strong lines...there's a lot I can learn from your sketches.

Faaunus is offline for the sake of future days Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines/ line studies are looking great! Definitely keep them up, however, I think you're unable to really express yourself through digital painting because you lack fundamental painting skills. I would suggest, perhaps, doing more painted studies (along with your imagination work, which is looking great by the way.) Also, although I'm sure you've already heard of it, http://ctrlpaint.com/ has some great tutorials that might help out. Good luck and keep up the great work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 6