Thanks

Too attached to stuff

I have been trying to clean my dorm, but its so hard when you are so attached to everything. I go through tons of those big sketchpads every semester and I don't know what to do with them. I feel like a terrible person if I throw them away. My memory is terrible, but when it comes to drawings I feel like I can remember doing every single one of them, the weather outside, what the teacher was yelling at me "NO THAT MUSCLE DOES NOT GO THERE" . Im ridiculous lol.

Anyone have this problem? Where do you put your piles of finished art/sketches/etc when you are too sentimental to throw it in the garbage? D:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Don't throw your art away. Are you crazy? How could you contemplate throwing away your record of your artistic journey? You created them it's ok to be attached to them. At the very least give them away, not throw them away.

I still have almost every drawing I've done since I was three. I keep them in plastic tubs up in the attic. No one will ever see most of them until I'm dead and can't stop them, but they're up there.

Thanks
    Haha I would never throw them away. That is why I am making this post. Unfortunately I am living alone and I don't have an attic. I can't send all that stuff to my parents house and I live in a dorm :/

Thanks
    Buy a large plastic tub put all of your drawings in there. Seal it up very tight. Then go to some secluded area and bury it. Just don't forget the treasure map or you'll never find it again. Also, try not to look too suspicious.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I've thrown away a lot of old art. It feels great. I'd rather grow and progress than live in the past.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    scan em all then bin em!
    but keep the best ones and frame them and give them to relatives for christmas.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    hmm i cant delete this duplicate message..
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Personally I try to cut the cord as soon as possible. We don't have any space to story any extra stuff anymore, and the bulk of my drawings is just tons of copypaper with several doodles on them (stuff that I really can't even see giving to someone) so every time I clean up I collect all my favorites and throw all the most useless papers away to recycling (I have hundred pages of loldragons, I don't need another ten) because I have everything already scanned and the drawings aren't something I'd use later. That way I don't have any nostalgia attached to the papers.

If you don't want to throw stuff away, I can only suggest buying large boxes, storing your drawings in them and then using those boxes as furniture.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    My house is like an archeological dig of shitty art. I go through it periodically and throw away everything that's been stepped on or otherwise munged.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Unless it's something pretty good or memorable that shows a landmark in progress, I throw it away. I drew it, it's done, I'm over it.

Although I am a bit sad that I lost a bunch of art from junior high. Those deformed sailor scouts had a place in my heart.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    hmm i cant delete this duplicate message..
    Too much sentimental value, eh?

To the OP, I usually keep what I think is the best of my stuff in my portfolio (which I lovingly throw under my bed).
    I have a small shelf for sketchbooks, but any scraps or studies that I don't need get recycled.

If you're really attached to some of your stuff that's on loose sheets, you could scrapbook the best of it.
    That way it's all nicely organized and you can look back on it 10-20 years from now and get all nostalgic.
    Last edited by Indrik_; May 1st, 2012 at 02:47 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Indrik_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I once threw out/recycled about 6 big black garbage bags worth of drawings (not crumpled, mind you, nicely stacked). YEARS worth of stuff and studies. It was so liberating. Like starting with a clean slate. My only regret is not having kept like 10 pieces or so just to compare and go down nostalgia lane once in a while. Oh and remind myself that whatever's behind is learning trash.

Thanks
    The problem with throwing art away when you don't like it anymore is that as you progress you'll see more and more problems with your art.

Also think of artists like Norman Rockwell. When he was dying in his 80's (?) he was still drawing everyday, but it looked like childish scribbles. Your art is all you have to leave behind. It is the fossil of your talent. Without it your talent might as well never have exsisted.

Honestly, nobody starts drawing like Da vinci in the beginning. It's not expected. It is a valuable resource for you as an artist. How else are you going to measure your progression.

Your art artifacts can help you do better/ learn more in the future. I'm always looking at my old sketches for ideas. They are the visual record of your thoughts. Some thoughts don't make sense at the time, but later they can trigger better understanding of a difficult concept.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    I throw out the garbage and keep what has potential.

Time to go through that bin of artwork again this year.

As I progress, my ability to tell the wheat from the chaff increases, and my artwork decreases.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Don't use my method, I just keep everything in piles everywhere... It's semi-organized chaos...

Though scanning or photographing old work and thinning it out ain't a bad idea. (I've been trying to scan my archives, but it takes forever.) And over time you'll probably find it easier to toss a fair chunk of stuff when you look back and see how dreadful it is.

I threw out huge mountains of work from art school... At the end of each year, I'd usually toss all the assignments I didn't care about (do I really need to keep value scales?) and the crappier studies, and most of the warm-up gestures/bad life drawings... And some time after graduation I combed through the remaining debris, photographed some, kept some old favorites and tossed most of the rest.

I do like to keep a few representative samples from every phase of my life, though. I like being able to look back and see all the stages I've been through. And I still regret tossing some of my old childhood drawings and notebooks... Now I only have vague memories of them and wish I had them back...

But a hundred crappy gestures from a so-so life drawing session? Yeah. Toss. Good riddance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You could always try to store them in some weird place like behind a closet or refrigerator... Then after years and years when you forget about them you finally find them out and get this great sense of discovery a treasure!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    I don't have anything before I was 14 - moving from country to country in my early years didn't help but it's so much fun looking back on that old stuff and then feeling sad at the huge gap in my 30s & 40s. Saying that, I have thrown out a lot of crap and just kept the stuff that meant something to me. I have a lot in a couple of A1 folders all loose and in no order. Put what was really important to you (maybe an example of each phase) in a folder and keep it under the bed.