Torn between illustration and Fine arts.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Torn between illustration and Fine arts.

Hi there,

Im applying to the Academy of Art University and feel rather torn between choosing Fine Art (painting) or illustration, as my choice of major.

Iv been painting/drawing from a very young age, and have always dreamed of studying a major in which I could refine my skills and produce work that looks exactly like what I imagine in my mind. Although I keep improving, I do feel like I need to master my skills in order to do justice to the pieces I conjur up in my imagination.

now heres where im stuck; I dont have much experience in digital art or creating illustrations on computers.I have been making work that is 100% hand made.But I have been told that I can totally refine my skills as an artist, learn my way around the digital art world, and be able to create all kinds of works that represent exactly what I have in my mind through hand made AND digital mediums...I love doing illustrations by hand though...From fashion illustration to childrens books...I would love to get into illustration...
    I am also interested in it because I heard that with illustration you can get your hands dirty in allkinds of fields such as, photography, magazine illustrations, books, brochures, fashion, stationary supplies, packaging.

Im super torn because of my lack of experience with working with technology and digital art programs.Im also affraid that I would be stuck at a computer 24/7 and find myself not fulfilling my need to work with my hands.Im also affraid that if I dont take fine arts I will never reach the level of mastery in the field of painting I would if I chose to study it...

Any artists/illustrators out there experience this conflict?
    I know at the end of the day its about knowing what I want to do, I just feel like I want to do it all! Id appreciate any help or discussion!
    THANKS Y'ALL!!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think you could go wrong picking either one. From your post, it sounds as if you are more interested in the illustration side of things as opposed to getting your name out in a gallery, so there's that. Either way, if you're worried about not getting enough 'training' as an illustration major, couldn't you take additional drawing/painting classes as electives?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.