WIP Need critique .... (updated image posted)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

WIP Need critique .... (updated image posted)

This is a WIP of the forgotten one ...concept based off on a lone angel in the mountains ......need help painting mountains/composition or any other factor am missing

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by giby; April 28th, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    You need to do thumbnails for this. It's not a good idea to just start painting and hoping to "fix" the composition along the way, it's both better and easier for yourself to find a good, working composition first and then start actually painting. If you're not sure how to go about it, these are good examples; click here.

Also, resize the image. I have a big monitor but even I can't see it as a whole.

Thanks
    thank you for the critique ....i am not sure of the normal dimensions of the site or would hav resized

Thanks
    I have to scroll a lot too so I'm only getting bits and pieces of this.

It looks like it could be a good idea but it's too rough to make much of it yet. I actually thought this was a sketch (what I call a thumbnail) so if you're going to develop it, you'd probably need to refine it elsewhere once you've got the anatomy of the figure and the perspective/lighting/colour scheme etc sorted out.

Thanks

Resize done

thx for the crtique hav a hard time gettin the shapes right or a working composition

Thanks
    Your image is so big my browser is having difficulty loading it.

edit:You have reposted a smaller image,but the image in your original post still needs be resized.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Thanks for resizing, thats much better.

The composition is all I can comment on because this is still so rough. I'm no expert by any means, but to me it reads bland. You have lots of v-shapes in the mountain tops and the angel wings which are too similar so they read repetitive and are getting in the way of showing depth and distance. I think if you work on where the various things go and look at mountain scenes, paying particular attention to space and depth, you might have more to work on.

Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions. I hope they help a little, and good luck with it.

Thanks
    yes u helped a lot ...i forgot how repetition can ruin the composition of the image ..thnk you l

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Please find references for birds wings, too.

Thanks
    OK on it .... i think the wings are too big hmmm

Thanks

Need help with filling elements

I am not sure how to add fillin elements lik a dragon or some creature without disturbing composition ....also point out any abnormality in the composition

Thanks
    This does look much better composition-wise.

I don't think you need to add anything to it, but you do need to sort those wings out. At the moment they look like cockerels' tails stuck on his back. They're really not flattering or very believable. I think looking at specific birds, depending on the wing type you want, would help with this, which was why Lhune suggested it.

Something about angels always makes me think of swan wings. Not sure why, but thats the association I get in my head. If it was my picture, thats the bird I'd be looking at. But if you're going for something dark, maybe look at crows or ravens.

Thanks

:)

I just wanted a large + fluffy wing but it didnt obiviously work out ..... the compisition in the centre is settin me off ... it would be really helful if some 1 could suggest some fillers there

Thanks
    I've seen this kind of thing before, trying to put a full character illustration into an environment piece. Only it doesn't work unless you really know what you are doing. It's kinda like wanting to have your cake and eat it too. The way the composition is set up right now is for an environment.

Your going to have to figure out weather you want to do a broad sweeping environment piece with a character(s) in it or a character piece with a background.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstate View Post
    I've seen this kind of thing before, trying to put a full character illustration into an environment piece. Only it doesn't work unless you really know what you are doing. It's kinda like wanting to have your cake and eat it too. The way the composition is set up right now is for an environment.

Your going to have to figure out weather you want to do a broad sweeping environment piece with a character(s) in it or a character piece with a background.
    Dude thx for the great advice ..... i was wondering why i couldnt get a particular feel to the painting ....thx for also spending ur time to do a paint over too helps a lot

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.