Sketchbook: Cristina's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cristina's Sketchbook

Hi, I'm 35 and graduated in graphic design in 2000. I used to draw a lot when I was in college. But when I started working soon I moved to webdesign and stopped drawing. Now I want to get back to drawing and painting to improve my knowledge and bring more art to my work. I've been studying drawing for some time now, since I restarted it, but my drawings are still flat and not so expressive as I wish them to be. I'm opening this thread to get some motivation and guidance. First I'm interested in figure drawing and character design. But I also paint watercolors and mixed media.

I hope some of you give me tips to improve. I'll be posting my job in a regular basis. Thanks for visiting.

The face for the thumbnail is from a photo. And the second drawing I've copied from Will Conrad.

Last edited by Cojac; May 17th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    howdy, you already have good observaqtional skills. So just keep slogging away and it will come to you. I started drawing from comics too far now to remeber how long, but I always loved the drawings of Mort Drucker. I am also hung up on the works of Charles Dana Gibson, his line work is about as good as it get's in my opinion. I love Sargent's water colours, Degas charcoal, Freuds etchings. There are a host of great drawing books out there, Loomis, Bridgeman which are copied by many on this forum. I also love Frank Frazetta, Berni Wrightson, will Eisner to name but a few.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maninmoon1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried life drawings?Do some portraits or figure drawing,that should help with the stiffness.I know my drawings are suffering from stiffness too, but I think that's mainly because of my line work which isn't natural enough and you might have the same problem, but it's probably too early to judge considering you posted only one sketch so far.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kriss_Kringle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cojac. I looked through the work you have up on your blog and you've got some really nice watercolor pieces on there.

Like you said, though, your figure drawings and portraits are pretty flat. The thing about drawing is that there's a thousand things to learn to create great works. Of course, while that can sound intimidating, it's also a good thing because it means there's a thousand things you can do to get better. You don't just have to slave over one or two.

I think what would help you the most right now is working on basic three dimensional forms. In a sense, that's all anyone ever needs to do.

So say you normally start drawing a person's head by outlining it with an oval. Instead of doing that, try to draw through the form. Try to envision the whole head (front, sides and back), not just what's visible from the angle you chose. This is a good article to look at: http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Anyway, I could go on and on. But I won't, because that'll probably bore you. Like maninmoon1 said, grab a drawing book. A lot of people just say "practice, practice, practice," but that doesn't really help if you don't know what to practice. If you're stuck, read up a little and see if that gives you a new perspective on how you should draw.

Best of luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitchins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Keep going

More studies from Christopher Hart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches, i really like your last update. im just not sure if hart is the best teacher out there lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Practicing

Today I took an hour "life drawing" class with this site: http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
    I'm studying the male figure because it is something I don't know that much. I've done lots of drawings but these are my best ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is not much I can say to you because you've seen that I am a beginner yet. Maybe, in your last update I would pay more attention to the leg's planes, the leg of the 11 min's one is quite simple whereas his chest is a lot better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey You got some lovely watercolors on your blog!

Why don't you post them here either? People are lazy, and most probably most of viewer will simply check only these sketchbook, ignoring blog. = They will judge you only by these comics studies.

Comics stuff looks fine, but i think adding a bit of construction could help you a lot with your figure drawings. Especially if you will like to draw characters completely from imagination later on.

Did you seen Mentler stuff so far? http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...6&page=2&pp=15

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tsabu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Christina thanks for your kind comment in my SB. I can see from your blog that you have got good form with your life drawings and paintings when you use tone, and I think copying good comic book artists is a good idea.

I think you need to really think and look at the lines they use and ask yourself why have they put that line there. After you have done a copy maybe you should trying putting some tracing paper over it and just drawing the main masses of the pose with spheres and cylinders running your own cross contours over these forms. Also do a copy and see what happens when you leave a line out. Do there drawings now look flat?

If you haven't already looked at them I think you might want to Google Preston Blair and Glen Vilppu. There work is for animations that rely a lot on showing form and expression with line. I think you could learn a lot from studying some cartoon and animators work. Hope this gives you some ideas.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some watercolors

I love watercolors. I've opened this thread to study comics and figure drawing, but people want to see my watercolors here. So I chose some of them. I hope you like. Any comment or critic is wellcome.

To see more of my watercolors, please visit my blog

Last edited by Cojac; May 1st, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cojac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those watercolors are very cool. My favorite is the wading bird, but I also dig the storm clouds in landscape piece. In fact, I like them all .

You mentioned in an earlier post that you were interested in studying line. This is probably old news to you, but I'm a rank beginner, so "Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters" by R. B. Hale really opened my eyes to the loaded meanings that masters put into every line. I'm also learning a lot about line from "The Art of Responsive Drawing" by Nathan Goldstein.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mixed media

Hi, I'm preparing some paintings to show in California. The theme is "boat". These are my first five, they will be sixteen. I'm using photoreferences and mixed media (watercolor + acrylics + markers) on hannemuller paper. I hope you like and give me some tips to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! There are a lot of resources around the forum that will help you with figure drawing, lot of tutorials and links to resources, and other peoples studies if you look around. I have found practicing parts of the anatomy and gestures everyday helps, little by little, over time. there's this this this and this to use as references, (and use their timer function also), there's deviantart's stock images also. Come over to the Spartan Camp (in the community activities section), lot of people working on the same area, might help.

Some of your watercolors are looking really good. A bit seems off in the last two, as far as I can see. Proportions seem a little off in one, and the whites seem too stark in the other- but that's perhaps a matter of taste.

See you around!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SamitaChatterjee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From Bridgman

Well, I was studying anatomy from comics, but I've figured out that this is not a good practice, in comics the anatomy is exagerated and not realistic, so I've also done some studies from photos but my problem came visible, I'm suffering from a lack of construction knowledge. I was looking for another book to help me and I've found the Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy. I'll try to learn his process of construction. These are my first studies from Bridgman.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing watercolors! and loving your anatomy sketches!

"lives to draw, draws to live"

Sketchbook

Blogspot

DeviantArt

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaihartj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Charcoal

Some gestual drawings of 90 seconds made of charcoal and photoreferences. Now I see that I'm not working the feet nor the hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice watercolors.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiluz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hands are a very delicate work, but once you've gotten the structure it's quite okay (well, takes some time to tame, still).

Versy stylish watercolours by the way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

feet

Some feet copied from Barcsay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my sketchbook. I like the watercolors btw

Check out my SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First try in digital painting

These are old. The apple and the girl are from 2009 using photoshop CS and a tablet genius.

Last edited by Cojac; May 4th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

W.I.P.

I'm working with this one now. It is an angel male. I'm using Painter 12 and a wacom. I'm new to Painter and the male anatomy. I'm using a photo for reference. Today I've worked 3 hours in this piece and have throwed to trash many times. If you have any critic or comment to help me improve this character I'll really appreciate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faces from artrage

These are from 2011 when I first used Artrage. I like this software, it is fast and have good brushes but don't have de power of Painter. I use it just for fun and studies. For professional work I use Painter and Photoshop. These faces were drawn from reference but are not precise copies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First character for game

These I've done as a non paying job for a game called Guardians. I've done them last year and they took me so long time, about 6 hours each and they still look sketchy. There are some anatomical and shading failures but I've learned a lot doing this in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Characters that I gave up

The first two I've done last year using photoshop CS3 and the pirate Is from february/2012 using Painter 12. They are basically photo studies. I'm still not able to create something new or entirely from my mind. I'm always taking the pose or the light from a reference. I wish I could create from imagination and make it believable. I'm studying the male anatomy to be able to do this. Bridgman is helping a lot. Other problem I'm having is the use of Painter brushes, I don't know which one should I use for the thinner hairs highlights, and the brush for block in up the figure masses. I'm using the Oils - Oily Bristle, but I don't know if I'm doing right or if there is another one better. If any one here could give me some tip I'll appreciate a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Cojac, thanks for stopping by You seem to be doing just fine - your watercolours are brilliant on account of your use of colour. Keep going with the figure drawing studies, I'm using loomis at the moment and I'm getting better slowly and surely.

Dan-YAL.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice variation of subjects here, keep pushing those fundamentals and more more more lifedrawing/painting!!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up, you are doing some really good studies, also your watercolors are so nice

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Matija Vuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, Cojac.

Looks like you're doing fine with your anatomy studies. I'm following a different approach, which is to learn the body from the bones out, and I'm studying Anatomy; A Complete Guide for Artists by Joseph Sheppard. It's pretty good to get started on because it shows all the bone structures and muscle groups in a non-stylised way. He also has another book on drawing the living figure but I havent checked that out yet.

I think though, that it's probably better to move on from the base structure to looking at figure construction, and for that, you're doing well to look at Bridgeman and Loomis. I'll probably start studying from those guys at some point myself.

Beautiful watercolours by the way. Your colours are wonderfully clear and rich, and I especially like your boat pieces. Good luck with those at the show/exhibition. And good luck with your anatomy work.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1