How many bargues did you draw and how long it took

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

How many bargues did you draw and how long it took

Hi everyone,

For those of you who drew or still draws bargues, I wanted to know how many bargues did you draw before you started feeling that you aren't getting much out of the practice relative to the time spent? Also how many bargues have you drawn so far?

Also I know that it can take hundreds of hours to get one bargue right, but with practice, one should get some kind of efficiency boost. So I was wondering if anyone remembered how long it took them to draw their first bargue and what was the average/best time per bargue once you got the hang of it?

Your answers will help me gauge my progress as well as show me what I need to shoot for, so even approximate numbers will help tremendously. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    I have a better question: how many top pro artists that you admire have drawn a Bargue?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JeffX99: Can't think of anyone who went through modern atelier training without drawing a bargue. So I guess more artists than I can list. Which brings us back to my original question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    As far as I am aware, most programs only have students do a small number of Bargues, but spend a long time on each. I'm sure the numbers vary a fair bit, but a lot of places you probably only do maybe 2 or 3.

That being said, it is important I think to remember that Bargue plates were originally copied without sight size and were not meant to take hundreds of hours each--it was possible that a student would copy many or all of the plates, which simply isn't possible anymore using the methods people use to copy them now.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbridge View Post
    JeffX99: Can't think of anyone who went through modern atelier training without drawing a bargue. So I guess more artists than I can list. Which brings us back to my original question
    This is true for academic, atelier training. I guess I should say it depends on your goals? I doubt any in my top 50-100 artists ever drew one. If your goal is to go the academic, atelier training route more power to you.

Edit: Not trying to give you a hard time btw...I just think it is a question worth really considering. If the artists that you admire and inspire you have spent a great deal of time and effort on Bargue drawings then by all means, follow that lead. Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons, and not just because you've heard people say you should do Bargue drawings.

Last edited by JeffX99; April 27th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I copied four Bargues at Angel Academy of Art. All together took me about one trimester, that's 3 months.

Right now they've decreased the number to 3 Bargues to make sure that really every student can complete them before the trimester is over.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    I copied four Bargues at Angel Academy of Art. All together took me about one trimester, that's 3 months.

Right now they've decreased the number to 3 Bargues to make sure that really every student can complete them before the trimester is over.
    But. . .

Was it useful?

Thanks
    I've done 4, spending over a month on each, and it's been extremely useful to me. I was literally a clueless beginner (well I still am, but somewhat less clueless) when I first started working on them. Everything in my sketchbook before the value studies have been the only stuff I had ever drawn up until my bargues, bar a terrible selfportrait I did before I started working on them.

It taught me how to take my time and observe and it taught me how far you can take something, even if you really have no idea what you're doing, with patience alone. Part of the reason I learned so much was probably because of how little I had drawn before them, but I don't regret doing them and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in academic drawing! Van Gogh did all of them multiple times I think.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Umm.. so someone I know who totally isn't me is kind of curious as to what a "bargue" is?

Not me though.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sanya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    How many top concept artists copy Bargues? None of the good ones. As Jeff said, great if you want to be an academic painter, pretty useless for anything requiring speed and imagination.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    Umm.. so someone I know who totally isn't me is kind of curious as to what a "bargue" is?

Not me though.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45404

The answer is it doesn't matter. I don't care if one thinks a "top concept artist" has or has not done a Bargue. If you find it useful go ahead.

I do not care if Emily is a top concept artist in the eyes of some people. Not everyone is going to be a "top concept artist" and a top concept artist may have done a Bargue drawing.

It may help you if you want to be an artist, and you may be a good artist in other areas. If you find it useful, go ahead, if not - you don't have to do it.

everyone learns differently and one doesn't have to knock it if it isn't for them.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bargue drawings are just master copies. I don't understand this hostility towards them. People have been doing master studies since the Renaissance.

The Bargue plates are used because they are specifically suited for copying from. They have simplified light and shadow and some include intermediate block-in stages that show you how to simplify. They also nicely link to cast drawing. The sighting and measuring techniques can be applied to any master study. There have been drawing courses before Bargue's, that similarly consisted out of plates to be copied.

I think I did around 5 copies, but that includes the simple ones like the features. At first I was very slow. You can spend as long on them as you like. It's up to you to decide when the drawing is "done".
    I knew someone that did over 50 Bargue drawings. He was only able to do so many because he didn't strive for complete accuracy, and I think neither did Van Gogh. The way they are being copied nowadays is taking it further than what they were likely intended for (too far perhaps). Although it's a good exercise to push yourself to the extent of your abilities. And I think you get more out of doing a few accurate copies, than 50 more or less inaccurate ones. Quality over quantity.

They don't have to be done 1:1, although it is the easiest to start with. I recommend doing a few using comparative measuring; blowing them up or scaling them down. You'll learn more that way. I believe the original Bargue book consisted of just the plates, with no instructions. Students at the Grand Central Academy use the drawings only for practicing their block-ins, which is what I've been doing as well.

Last edited by Norkagar; April 27th, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Norkagar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    how many top pro artists that you admire have drawn a Bargue?

Dozens. Including at least 3 or 4 at the top of each page on this sites banner display.

Last edited by Craig D; April 27th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yochanan View Post
    Van Gogh did all of them multiple times I think.
    I read somewhere that he copied them all twice, but the few copies that I have seen are fairly sketchily done, which was typical of Van Gogh's style (you can accuse Vincent of many things, but patience isn't one of them):

Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    Here's the Bargue of Dante:

Sorry, obscure pun, couldn't resist... :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickydraws View Post
    Bargue drawings are just master copies. I don't understand this hostility towards them.
    The hostility comes from the almost fetishistic place they assumed in atelier training, especially the Minnesota-tradition ateliers in the '80s and '90s. One of the great things that's happened in the past ten/fifteen years or so is the increased dialog and cross-pollination between different teaching traditions, and the lessening of rigid dogmatism.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    Dozens. Including at least 3 or 4 at the top of each page on this sites banner display.
    You sure about that? What household names can you think of that have copied Bargue drawings, to the levels they are taken today? Syd Mead? Iain McCaig? Craig Mullins? Feng Zhu? Howard Pyle? N.C. Wyeth? Moebius? Andrew Jones? Doug Chiang? Wayne Barlowe? Gil Elvgren? Frazetta? James Gurney? Scott Robertson? Henry Yan? Brom? IDK...maybe some of them did...it would be interesting to know.

Again, not trying to be a dick, rather just point out that they are not some "required" rite of passage or learning tool. Most people, imho, would be better off turning those hundreds of hours into just good solid observational drawing from life, inventive drawing from imagination, or any number of other study activities that don't slavishly copy a 2D form from one piece of paper to another. If that's what you're after, go for it.

Edit: I just want to be clear, in response to Arshes reply (which I agree with), I'm not knocking doing Bargue drawings nor do I have any "hostility" to that approach, merely asking the question of their value in learning to draw, as evidenced by contemporary practicing professionals and those of the last 100 years or so. Again, of course it depends on your goals...if you want to be the next Juliette Aristedes copy away, if you want to make dynamic, dramatic paintings might want to go a different route.

Last edited by JeffX99; April 27th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,663 Posts
    I've done a few and used them more for learning to concentrate the mind and shading technique than anything else. I've only done the feet and hands and spent a max of 6 hours on each one. I do think spending 100 hours is a bit excessive on making an exact copy of someone else's work.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Considering the OP never made that argument to begin with, I'm puzzled why we're having the argument if it's required.

He is addressing those who ARE doing them. If you don't do them fine...we know it's not required. If you do it's already stated that 100s of hours is not necessary.

The OP's question however points to the problem of "I need to be given an exact approximation of how I'll improve" and it's something of a facepalm which goes back to this post

Just to say OP, stop worrying about other people's progress and how long it takes them to learn. Just keep pushing through it and you'll find your own rewards.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 27th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Considering the OP never made that argument to begin with, I'm puzzled why we're having the argument if it's required.

He is addressing those who ARE doing them. If you don't do them fine...we know it's not required. If you do it's already stated that 100s of hours is not necessary.

The OP's question however points to the problem of "I need to be given an exact approximation of how I'll improve" and it's something of a facepalm which goes back to this post
    You're right Arshes, and I really considered whether to even reply with my question. In the end I thought it was a valid question to ask of the OP, and by implication others who just blindly engage in certain study patterns because they read you should do that. And I'm not even necessarily saying the OP is blindly engaging in this approach, they've never really responded to clarify what their goals and aspirations are. For all I know they are iinterested in academic, atelier training to head into traditional portraiture.

I just feel there is so much information out there, so many conflicting points of view, people need to ask more about "why" than how or what or how long. Answering for yourself the "why" behind anything leads to the who, how and what.

Didn't mean to derail the thread from the get-go or start a big ruckus, just wanted to raise the question as an important part of the discussion.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks

Again, not trying to be a dick, rather just point out that they are not some "required" rite of passage or learning tool. .
    I don't see where that was brought up by the OP

if you want to be the next Juliette Aristedes copy away, if you want to make dynamic, dramatic paintings might want to go a different route.
    Getting pretty judgmental there aren't you Jeff?

Thanks
    I don't see where that was brought up by the OP
    Seemed implied by the question of how many Bargues did you draw and what did you get out of them? I simply asked the common sense question how many top pros draw them? If the answer is most, all or few it would indicate whether they have much value, again, outside an atelier.

Still haven't seen any household names offered up that swear by them.

Getting pretty judgmental there aren't you Jeff?
    How so? Wasn't a judgment at all...just the obvious conclusion drawn from the results of very different approaches to drawing and painting. Was actually just saying whatever your goals are, follow the methodology that takes you there.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 753 Posts
    I've done a couple. If you're at a very, very basic level then they can be handy. I found cast drawings infinitely more useful.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How so? Wasn't a judgment at all...just the obvious conclusion drawn from the results of very different approaches to drawing and painting. Was actually just saying whatever your goals are, follow the methodology that takes you there.
    As far as I've discovered Bargue drawings are a great practice for anyone who has trouble pushing pieces to finished states. I didn't care that I was being a copy machine for a bit, that's not the part I was holding onto after I was done. However I did hold onto the patients it took to complete a bargue drawing. For this my fantasy orcs and beefy men with axes have prospered.

Any practice is multifaceted, it really depends on the person to pull out the bits he wants and throw away the things that he thinks are irrelevant.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gnarl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 681 Posts
    I've done 3 or 4 (look in my sb, I haven't looked in awhile to count).

I wanted to "see" better, and focusing on the aspects of a Bargue did just that.

I was thinking, analyzing the process along with other ideas I'd had about producing the image, which helped me out in the long run.

I took at least a week or 2 on each, but my goals were different that most that try them.

Edit: I also didn't want to become a photocopy machine, which if I continued, would have occurred.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; April 27th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    But. . .

Was it useful?

For my portfolio? No.

For learning to perfect pencil technique, to learn how to see with a critical eye, to force myself to take my time, to use a 'perfectionist' attitude once and get rid of impatience... yes, absolutely

(Four were a bit much, though. Three Bargues would've done the trick sufficiently)

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    (Four were a bit much, though. Three Bargues would've done the trick sufficiently)
    I'm glad to hear Angel is cutting down, that seems eminently sensible.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,157 Times in 1,705 Posts
    The best thing about doing a grueling copy of something as a beginner is that it very quickly sensitizes you to extreme subtleties... and bold generalities... and the essential symbiotic relationship between extreme subtlety and broad generality in realism.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I came into an atellier with very little aptitude. I did 7 master copies drawings. Most were Bargues. In total it took about 15- 20 hours for each one. This thread is interesting. BTW bargues are a primer to the atelier system. It is how you get into it swinging. Basic concepts are introduced and it is a safe environment to learn. I was slow so i did more. an equivalent exercise is like constructing spheres and cubes. What is wrong with introducing basic concepts within a safe environment?

Last edited by kinjark; April 27th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
    - Kinjark

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinjark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I did go to an atelier and I did one in 30 minutes(was not required). Found it completely useless. I had more fun copying maps of world rather than Bargues.

I still sorta find meticulous pencil rendering kinda ridiculous in a way(and I've seen some fucking kickass kickass pencil renderings). You can do it in a fraction of time with much more engaging results with paint you know?

For me the tradeoff of the little subtlety and intimacy that pencil rendering brings just doesn't compensate for the much broader possibilities that painting has.

Similarly, I'm sure beginners would learn so much more from doing 10 quick cast paintings in the time it took to do one bargue copy(well, I heard it took like 20 hours to do one perfect copy, so if you spend 2 hours on each painting).

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did half of one and concluded that they're only good for sensitizing artists. I spent the extra time on casts and live models, though. I'd argue that past breaking an artist into letting go of symbolic vision, working with a live model is infinitely more useful. The model moves, so you have to establish all your construction quickly and accurately and compensate for the movement with an overall idea of the gesture and statement. With a bargue you can noodle and noodle and plot and grid and do whatever you need to do, a luxury that is not feasible or very helpful in any kind of life drawing, not even 80 hour poses.

In fact once I started to sketch imaginatively, having too much of a 'measurer's mindset' was prohibitive instead of helpful.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8