Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Draw a perfect square using two vanishing points

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daafone View Post
    Please please... I'm really tired about all this posts, I did a question and
    arenhaus replied with a wonderful explanation and Anid Maro tried to reply. Can you please post only about his reply. Other ways to do what I asked for are appreciated too.
    Hey look! Another great reason to buy a book intead of asking the universe for help!
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    <contravening argument that derails thread>
    Seriously? I've never known CA to be a place that is strict about staying on topic. This isn't RP. And anyway, I actually think I'm saying something similar to what you were saying- although maybe I wasn't particularly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Please, please qualify this so that beginners will not go out and start perspectivising the whole world.
    Actually my intention was to do exactly that. I apologize if I wasn't clear- I was writing in a hurry.

My point is that perspective is very important, but figuring out a zillion vanishing points is not the part that's the most important. Perspective is understanding that if your eye position doesn't move, it has consequences about how you see things: if a box is facing you and placed at the center of your vision, you only see its front; move it a foot straight down and then you see its front and its top. A common beginner problem is to draw every part of the figure as if it was being viewed straight on at the center of vision, right down to the feet. All the vanishing points and whatnot are one technical solution to that problem, but it's not necessary to get really hung up on that particular part of it, unless you enjoy competing with computers.

Another consequence of the fixed eye position is diminishing/foreshortening, but it's not the only one, and certainly not the only that's important. Saying that the main part of perspective is just things getting smaller as they get further away is like saying all you really need to worry about with color is getting the hue right. It's omitting a critical part of the concept.

I'm not recommending people get hung up with vanishing points and crazy perspective projections. But on the other hand, I feel that some people just learn to construct a building in one and two point perspective and think they understand the whole thing, but their drawings are full of basic errors from not understanding how things generally sit in space in relation to the viewer.

Can you please post only about his reply. Other ways to do what I asked for are appreciated too.
    I apologize if you feel I'm derailing your thread. I'm posting because I feel it's relevant to the broader discussion of perspective that was taking place in this thread; if it's distracting to you then I apologize. My hope is that it's at least beneficial to others if that's the case. And unfortunately, that seems to be the way of things at this site.

(d'oh!, Bill beat me to it while I was typing my tl;dr)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Hey look! Another great reason to buy a book intead of asking the universe for help!
    What's your problem? Why don't you go to read your f***ing books instead of replying to this topic in order to humiliate me?
    You have a better knowledge? Ok! You don't want to share it because you studied a lot? Stop replying, who cares about you? Nobody.

Thanks
    Dude...chill. Not trying to humiliate you at all...and my apologies that you interpreted it as such. Just a bit of humorous ribbing, but I know that doesn't always translate well.

I would like to make the comment that I've sincerely offered you the best advice I can...and even explained the why behind it...yet no response. Oh well...good luck in life...hopefully someone will always be handy to answer your questions for you so you don't have to work too hard figuring anything out.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    As I already replied I studied perspective and I didn't found anything about this. And I think you didn't find it too (or maybe you just ignored the question in your life)

Dude, I have a philosophy, we live to learn, so as I can reply to a question, if I don't find a reply myself, I can try to ask someone else. Knowledge have to be shared. Don't think I found a question and I didn't try to reply myself. You don't know anything about me.

Thanks
    Fair enough. Arenhaus laid it out for you very well, and I backed him up on it. If you want a pretty good book recommendation Loomis's "Succesful Drawing" has an excellent chapter on perspective. But as I said, not every book works well for every type of person, the way they think and the problems they encounter, which is why I've continued to say "find one that makes sense to you".

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    What's your problem? Why don't you go to read your f***ing books instead of replying to this topic in order to humiliate me?
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission."
    –Eleanor Roosevelt

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, "do ____ in order to humiliate me" is not "you're humiliating me"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dose View Post
    Seriously? I've never known CA to be a place that is strict about staying on topic. This isn't RP. And anyway, I actually think I'm saying something similar to what you were saying- although maybe I wasn't particularly clear.
    Well, the point I was going to make, but erased because I needed more time to be clear and I was trying to make a deadline, was the following: The foundation of representational drawing, it seems to me, is expressing shaped volumes, positive and negative, of identifiable substances as they would appear under various lighting conditions. Perspective is just one aspect of this effort, a technical subset of it, if you will.

Ever feel like, in these kinds of threads, instead of walking a bouncy, healthy golden retriever who's looking to break the leash and run free, you're actually dragging a legless farting warthog?
    Last edited by kev ferrara; April 27th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stay on topic man!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Ever feel like, in these kinds of threads, instead of walking a bouncy, healthy golden retriever who's looking to break the leash and run free, you're actually dragging a legless farting warthog?
    I painted one of those once.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    You would.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    This made my night. Thanks

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5