Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Daafone, artistic perspective is not science. Its just a cheesy quick fix to get some stuff in certain locations on your picture to look correct. As soon as you begin to rely on it, it will make your picture awkward looking. You must keep correcting it by eye.
    It's very much a science, Kev. If you "fake it" and eyeball everything, it does not mean that there is no method to do it precisely.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    arenhaus: I love your method, I was trying to do the same. I'll try it ASAP!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    Deleted my posts on account I don't want incorrect information sticking around.

I 'squared' away, so to speak, my earlier mistake but I'm not going to bother any farther, as evidently squares in perspective are some arcane secret to only be answered with "read the fucking manual" and "Look up your own tutorial, don't bother me".

Not that it's everyone's attitude, but it seems to be the prevailing one.

So sorry Daafone, I guess go read a book or figure it out or something.
    Gimme a fucking break Anid. If you need someone to show you how to read a book you're lost from the start.

And I'm sorry, "read a book or figure it out or something" is exactly right.

Perspective is well understood and has been for 600 years. There's mountains of material written on it. Some makes sense to some people, some makes sense to others...the individual needs to care enough, and be curious enough about it to not have someone walk them through their obtuse little micro-question.

Edit: BTW, never, in my wildest dreams would I have whined about this kind of thing and kept pestering people about it. I would have read the fucking manual and gone and figured it out. I'm guessing any other professional artist on here did the same.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Can we please talk only about my question? This thread may be useful in future to others, so why do we have to flame?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daafone View Post
    Can we please talk only about my question? This thread may be useful in future to others, so why do we have to flame?
    Sure, your question is best answered by practice, study and effort to understand the principles of perspective. A variety of books, that make sense to you, will be the best guide as you practice many of the challenges you will face when trying to learn perspective.

Because Anid called me out on what I thought was the best advice I could offer.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time to draw that up, arenhaus. I'm curious about why the rightmost two points on the elevation (thought that was actually a "plan"?) square are directly below the points on the perspective square, while the rightmost point on the elevation square seemingly isn't directly below the corresponding point on the perspective square. Is that a property of perspective, or am I looking at the diagram incorrectly, or is it tiny accumulated errors, or something else?

Thanks
    Pretty sure you're right on the money there arenhaus - sort of reverse engineering a bit to get the plan view then moving forward again to establish the perspective. Nice job!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to draw that up, arenhaus. I'm curious about why the rightmost two points on the elevation (thought that was actually a "plan"?) square are directly below the points on the perspective square, while the rightmost point on the elevation square seemingly isn't directly below the corresponding point on the perspective square. Is that a property of perspective, or am I looking at the diagram incorrectly, or is it tiny accumulated errors, or something else?
    After puzzling through this a bit, I can elaborate my question. In step #3, I expected you to draw a line between pt A and the rightmost point in the perspective rectangle, and then drop a perpendicular from where that line crosses the HL to find the width of the rectangle in plan. If you feel like wasting more time on this, I'd love to learn more

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    I built this demo rather quickly from memory, so double-checks are welcome.
    That's a really helpful Fucking Manual for many to read. Note that it is limited to squares with the frontmost point dead in the center of vision, horizontally. I prefer to start with the stationary point and take it from there.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    It's very much a science, Kev. If you "fake it" and eyeball everything, it does not mean that there is no method to do it precisely.
    Don't misunderstand me. I am a firm believer in the genius of the system you just gave a primer to. (Particularly fascinating is the addition of elevations and floor plans into the mix. It took a lot of brilliance to figure all this stuff out) I encourage every artist to learn it, master it, love it, appreciate it. Etc.

However, it is a technique. It is not science.

A linear retreat of perspective is not what actually happens as an object retreats from the eye. The fall off just seems linear from a certain distance. Objects actually retreat from our vision under much more complicated equations, the solutions to which become more or less asymptotic/indistinguishable with linearity beyond some distance only.

Secondarily, the surface of the earth is curved. The consequences of this are enormous. Anything based on a single horizon line and straight perspective lines beyond a certain point will be incorrect because of the curvature of the plane at a distance, and will be even more curved at the deepest corners of our vision field. Any particular building can be correct in planar perspective in relation to itself (assuming good carpentry.) But using the same parameters to orient another building which is miles from it in the distance will not be a true relationship.

So, taken together - the falsity of the use of perspective for things in close, and the falsity of the use of perspective for things beyond a certain point... we must appreciate that what we are talking about is a technical procedure which just approximates things (and which is enormously useful in doing so.)

Let me reemphasize: I did not mean to discourage the understanding of the perspective techniques generally in use by the student artist. It is essential technical information.

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Secondarily, the surface of the earth is curved. The consequences of this are enormous.
    I beg to disagree here: it is really not noticable in daily life, just as it is not relevant for a carpenter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    It's just a shortcut to get the scale of the square's elevation plan. Ultimately it does not really matter what scale the plan is, since every square with two sides lying on the same vp1-a and vp2-a lines will share the same diagonal vanishing point, so I just used the perpendicular.

Of course, you'll want all other measurements to be done with diagonals from there on, or you'll get distortions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, taken together - the falsity of the use of perspective for things in close, and the falsity of the use of perspective for things beyond a certain point... we must appreciate that what we are talking about is a technical procedure which just approximates things (and which is enormously useful in doing so.)
    Kind of like Newton's laws of motion are false, because you need Lorentz's model to get it really right... right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2