Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Risky Business

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts

Risky Business

This is a chess board.
    Risky Business

Youll know it from playing draughts on it.

If any of you also read Jasons cool article on chess grandmastery, you might also be thinking of getting one of these out and playing a game or two.
    Dont!

Chess is very old and very elegant, and very complex and very prestigious, and very yawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn.
    Theres only two players. The boards always the same. Check mate? More like Slumbermate.

This is a Risk board. You might remember this from rainy childhood camping holidays, or Christmas with a slightly overcompetitive relative or two.
    Remember?

Attachment 1467596

Wait, thats even lamer than chess isnt it?
    Well, maybe, but lets look at the differences.
    Theres loads of players, and it changes every time. The board is quite complex and leads to its own formal gambits and stratagems much as chess does. Plus you can make cool cavalry noises when you make your move.

Heres that Risk board again, this time in electronic form.
    Attachment 1467597

These people have never met. All game process is handled automatically, like electronic chess. All they need to worry about its their moves, and those of their opponants.
    Also in this particular set up there are leaders and fortresses, which give offensive and defensive advantages.

This is also a Risk board.
    Attachment 1467598
    Im green. Im considering how investing in killing red would affect the balance of power with the other players. Should I leave a vacuum for them to fall into and so be destabilised, or just go on the frontal attack? WHat will happen 3 moves down the line?

This is also a Risk board.
    Attachment 1467600
    Im Brown in this one. Its going ok but Red is a serious player, got stats that make mine look like a dick.

This is also a Risk board. There used to be a lot more players, but they got eaten. Im an irrelevant brown smudge caught between a titanic battle of evil vs evil.
    Attachment 1467601
    Green in the south is massing vast armies of darkness. Purple in the north is a computer player who replaced a human that missed his go once too often and is on the rampage.
    Who will rule? Come find out...

Its free, its ridiculously fun, and unlike most online games it doesnt favour little kids with lightning reflexes, but instead cleverness and guile.
    hence Im terrible. But persistent. Ive been in some games for days, and some for nealry 2 years. I was in one giant real time game over a weekend, doing shifts with my mate. I was like a giant 40 person all against all takedown. We cam second!
    Youll love it I promise.

www.landgrab.net
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Nice one. I might try it.

Right now I'm plaing Twilight Imperium with friends. It is sort of like chess on steroids and takes almost half of the day to finish. Really cool visuals too. I highly recommend it if you have more free time .

Risky Business

Thanks
    game on Kendall
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart

Thanks
    Risky Business
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks
    Okay I've played risk, and you say chess is boring? Give me a good old fashioned game of chess any day.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I admit though. I sometimes read chess books for fun.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Chess consumed a good portion of my 20's. Just about failed out of college because of it.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I admit though. I sometimes read chess books for fun.
    I would sit on the New York subway with a Kasparov mini electronic chess board or read a chess puzzle book every day. I loved the challenge chess presents.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:

Check out my portfolio:

Check out my blog:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I used to get on pogo and play for hrs. I got to the point I could beat chess master on the third level of master pretty consistenty. I loved the game. I still enjoy it but not as much as I used to.
    I'm in the process of teaching my kids the game. My 7yr old already beat my brother who has been playing for years.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Okay I've played risk, and you say chess is boring? Give me a good old fashioned game of chess any day."

chess is like knife fighting, risk is like war.

Trust me with 14 other players on the same board or playing 60 games at once presents its own challenges, its crazy fun
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 28th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    You're right to some extent, however risk revolves soley around logistic number chrunching and allows nothing for tactical ingenity nor heroics. If you don't have the numbers you lose and there is no real way to run a clever gambit to carry the day.

Thanks
    "risk revolves soley around logistic number chrunching and allows nothing for tactical ingenity nor heroics"

haha youre making poker sound like go fish.
    sure game theory and statistical analysis are key, but theyre just the top level. its all about reading your enemies andn adjusting your strategy and posture so they behave in ways that hurt eachother and help you.

in what is essentially a 24 person all against all thunderdome, if you win youve had a fair share of brinksmanship, patience, judgement, cunning and dumb fucking luck and emerged the champion.
    quite often you grow huge but then everyone turns on you, and you have to bail on your empire (or build that stuff into your schemes). theres all sorts of super complex human-powered dynamics going on. you can propagandise in the chat or stay stony quiet and unmoved.
    team games are fun too. im in one with like 1000territories and 12 and loads of players and teams its sick!

plus you can change the rules and values, for different kinds of game.

WWW.LANDGRAB.NET
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 28th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    "haha youre making poker sound like go fish."

What you mean they Aren't the same?
    I have nothing against risk as a game. I just don't share your view on which game is more interesting. I'm glad you like it. At least you do something that involves using your brain, instead of spending every awaking moment watching tv, like many people choose to do...

even if it is sooooooo boring!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Risk 2010 A.D. and Risk: Legacy are my favorites.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    "I just don't share your view on which game is more interesting"

awesome
    but as you already said your understanding of risk was incomplete and based on some old impression that it was a limited game of simple number crunching. you might as well say australia is ugly because you once had to have a long stop over in the airport in 1987. im glad you like chess.

"Risk 2010 A.D. and Risk: Legacy are my favorites."

dude check this out. im trapped between two other dicks, but the board is crazy, winning on these big games is something ive done once ever.
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 28th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have been thinking; risk would be better if instead of trying to take over entire continents it would be based on taking empires such as those of England, France, and Spain in the 17th-19th centuries.

For example, if you start with an industrialized nation that loves tobacco, produces textiles, and can refine sugar but needs the raw materials you can then gain colonies that produce tobacco, sugarcane, and cotton but need unskilled labor, and then gain colonies that provide unskilled labor as well as other helpful bits you can trade, then you have a lucrative circle of trade so you get the bonus that makes it even more possible to grow your empire. I think this makes a lot more sense than just getting more troops for taking entire continents.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    chess is like knife fighting, risk is like war.
    Have to disagree with that. Chess is war.
    Pawns = Serfs
    Rooks = Castles
    Knights = Elite soldiers
    Bishops = Religion
    King and Queen Speak for themselves.
    I used to play Axis and Allies as well. You might like that Velocity since it's similar to risk. I'm sure there's an online play site too.
    Risky Business
    Risky Business
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:

Check out my portfolio:

Check out my blog:

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I see what he is saying about chess being like a knife fight. The major limiting factor in chess that prevents it from being like a war is the fact that only two minds can compete at the same time. The chess world needs to find a way to make the game more inclusive. I'd love to face off with multiple opponents at the same time on the same board! Then it would be WAOOOOR!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You know, ive never done this, but you could put boards together and have a crazy 4 way chess-off or something!
    Maybe have half your team backed up to the other half, or have 4 smaller teams facing eacthother accross several boards or... well the possiblities are endless. ive no idea what would happen!

thats is exactly why i love risk you know cos the board, rules, aermy size, trade ins, number of forts and leaders can be tuned to create different dynamics.

"I have been thinking; risk would be better if instead of trying to take over entire continents it would be based on taking empires such as those of England, France, and Spain in the 17th-19th centuries. "

Ill pass that on to my mate Steve. bit dark tyhough isnt it, a board game about slaves?
    Making the maps is a real art, not just the drawing but more importantly the way the territories connect to cause interesting play.

I can only reitterate how fun literally beating someone at their own game is too, he he he

jason that game looks wicked, ill have a look at the rules for it, thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 29th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I play starcraft.

*Grabs coat*

Thanks
    Whats that? If its a turn based strategy game youre welcome here my friend!

Thanks
    Playing LandGrab now. It doesn't beat chess... but it is really fun!
    My name is: Potjekaas. Feel free to add me to your buddy list.

Thanks
    I just invited you to a nice middlesized Europe game, 2 leaders, forts, 2 fortifications, 6 cards, big car trade ins, should be a lot of action. just wait for it to fill up in a day or two and we'll rumble!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's great! Sounds like fun. I didn't receive the invitation e-mail though and I seem unable to find the game in the public section... I read in the landgrab guide that I should wait until the LandGrab system sends a reminder notification or to ask for another invitation. Would that be possible? I'll work on my von Schlieffenplan in the meantime

edit: found it!
    Last edited by D.Labruyere; April 29th, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am so trying this out. Me and my mates used to have drunken Risk-nights, but we could never ever finish a game because somone would
    A) Start fighting over a broken alliance
    B) Start fighting over not wanting to be pink
    C) Start fighting over self-proclaimed bad luck
    D) Pass out over the board and tear all the pieces to the floor

We had tons of fun though.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thats exactly how we got into it with me and my friends, we were totally broke, setting up our business, living right on the edge of a nowhere town in this big fight club house with no money to do anything and a lord of the rings risk box in the airing cupboard.

we still do those games, but we do them online, over three weeks, with 6 other people in the game, and play it on our iphones. its proper fun for nothing. im the current champ so in the new one theyre not standing for it hehe.

Potjekaas you should see a thing appear at the top of your main sxcreen, saying youve recieved an invitation. if not look for Eutotits 25 thats the game.
    good luck see you in the trenches

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You know, ive never done this, but you could put boards together and have a crazy 4 way chess-off or something!

Risky Business
    Risky Business

jason that game looks wicked, ill have a look at the rules for it, thanks for the tip!
    Fun game but it was like playing Dungeons and Dragons. It took maybe 2 to 3 sessions of about 8 hours to finish.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:

Check out my portfolio:

Check out my blog:

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah having a computer take care of all the dice rolls and crap speeds it up a lot. You can log in, make 6 moves, go back to work.

quaddra chess looks dope.

Thanks
    Awesome! How are the pawns treated, still linearly? That looks like it would be fun to play.

Thanks
    "I have been thinking; risk would be better if instead of trying to take over entire continents it would be based on taking empires such as those of England, France, and Spain in the 17th-19th centuries. "

Ill pass that on to my mate Steve. bit dark though isnt it, a board game about slaves?
    Its not like the idea is all about slaves, they just play a role in it as they did in history. Plus, I would think that leaving them out would be more of an affront; sweeping those ugly bits of history under the rug so world domination can be this happy little experience with shiny uniforms and flags.

And its not like the player HAS to take over the areas conducive to such a trafficking triangle; they just don't get the bonus for doing so. Or perhaps if they do take them they can turn down the option to partake in that particular trade and as such turn down the bonus. That would be up to the player though.

It would be interesting to see the social implications. I would love to see who would look at it and think, "aw, its only a game" or "well, I wouldn't condone it in real life, but I need that bonus to support my quest for world domination in game."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast