Art: Help !! I need somebody....
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help !! I need somebody....

Hello everyone,

Well I need help for something that is in my head since few weeks ago....

Iīm at the point that Iīm going to finish my graphic design studies, and If I want to obtain the official title I must present a final project for that. Sorry for this but Itīs going to be a little long:

Hereīs the problem: really I donīt like too much graphic design.......I studied this because in my country there are no courses or degrees for what i want (there are a few, but they are TOO expensive, I canīt pay them), and I tought that study this would be a good way to learn something that a I could use in what I really want to do: I like concept art since many years ago. If Iīve been studying graphic design is because I received theorical concepts classes about art history, drawing, creativity, dealings with clients...... I respect graphic desing but what I really want to do is concept art. Iīve been drawing characters, enviroments and other stuff since I was a child.....

And my dilemma is that I want to do something for my final project career that could help me on something related with concept art, but It must be enough of "graphic design" because there will be a jury observing my project presentation......

I need to find anchor points between this two fields to be accepted by the jury. Please, anyone can help me?? Do you know some concept artist working on graphic design too? It would be a good way to find inspiration....

Thank you all, and sorry for my bad English.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But design is conceptual.

What is it about graphic design that you like to do? What is it about concept art that you like to do?

I'm thinking that you could do some really cool stuff with typography and conceptart related things. People on here are always doing futuristic robot guys and fantastic creatures and all that. Maybe you could do a typographic project about the kind of type that people in midieval times used, and draw fantasy characters to go along with that. You could do different kinds of futureistic type made out of things like electricity and plasma. Not only will that fill your graphic design requirements, it will give you the opportunity to learn more about illustrating special effects.

Maybe look at some of the stuff here for inspiration: http://www.artofthetitle.com/author/art-of-the-title/

Look at the cool stuff this lady is doing. The possibilities are pretty endless: http://www.ted.com/talks/kelli_ander...e_reality.html

Just try and make your projects fun. You chose this route so you may as well try to enjoy yourself as you travel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graphic Design is actually quite important.
    You can make your design more interesting by infusing it with your drawings. Make it about presenting your drawings in the most appealing way possible.
    You have an advantage over the regular graphic designer, you are an artist, a person that can create illustrations instead of using stock photos or something generic to make the design work.

Why don't you do a game mockup?
    Booklet. Media website.
    The marketing materials for the game. Brochure for a pitch to investors.
    Collector's edition box set packaging design.

All of those things need artwork and graphic design together to be created.

You'll have a logo, page layouts, illustrations, packaging design all covered.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello !!

Thank you guys for your help. Yeah, maybe I need to focus more on do it for fun and donīt be worried too much. Maybe it is more simple than I expected......

The first ideas are coming to my mind this last days......

If you have any more ideas Iīm still listening...thanks !!

Greetins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget that some games require a lot of graphic design for symbols and buttons.
    RTS (real time strategy) games require a large amount of graphic design for all of the buttons used to control units in the GUI (game user interface).
    You could invent a game including characters, vehicles using your concept art as a backbone and then use graphic design to create all of the packaging, user interface and web banners etc.
    Sounds like you could have a lot of fun with this, instead of worrying about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What you can do...

I had the same problem with my final project for my senior show as well, so don't freak out. It's rather normal.

I would say do what your passion is and not what others what you do. Since you like concept art, make and design a book about concept art. Then put your own work into it as the piece within the book.

You will have a piece you designed (for your design jobs) and a piece you did the concept images for (for your concept jobs).

If you can't come up with a theme for your concept art, just write a quick story and or idea down. Like monsters are taking over the world by an evil queen. You can concept the monsters and the evil queen.

For me I am also studying Graphic Design and I want to be a concept artist for the children's industry so I did work on children's book with concept art and a "teaser trailer". Did it in 7 days but I love every minute of it because it's what I wanted to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well , if you want to inspire , i m thinking

1 that you dont must copy the artwork of other artist,also that the artist are a big artist and this one self his work , in other words if you copy other artist you are a thieves.
    2 If you want to inspire in other artist ,you can inspired, very good artist are dead.
    3 if dont like 2 ways later ,you can inspire in photo,in your enviroment.

Sorry,but very good artist are working very hard for you thieves his work and you present this a university

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostblade View Post
    Graphic Design is actually quite important.
    You can make your design more interesting by infusing it with your drawings. Make it about presenting your drawings in the most appealing way possible.
    You have an advantage over the regular graphic designer, you are an artist, a person that can create illustrations instead of using stock photos or something generic to make the design work.

Why don't you do a game mockup?
    Booklet. Media website.
    The marketing materials for the game. Brochure for a pitch to investors.
    Collector's edition box set packaging design.

All of those things need artwork and graphic design together to be created.

You'll have a logo, page layouts, illustrations, packaging design all covered.

Good luck.
    so true, just meet up with a client because i know its hard to come up with a cool concept and completing if its only for yourself.

talk to people let them know what you can do, the process of how you can do it and collab, i find working with another artist on a fun project is cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jorem, I'm also a graphic designer making the transition to illustration/concept art (or trying ). If you want to get into concept art you obviously enjoy drawing, which you can use as an advantage over other designers. As others have said, incorporate art into your work. How about branding for a videogame? Or a videogame company?
    I think Infinite Ammo's logo is a great example of a logo with a concept-ish style: http://infiniteammo.ca/

You can make the logo, packaging, manual, GUI, website and ads/banners.

Buena suerte!

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I presented my exam project two weeks ago.
    Here's my graphic design solution: http://erikfriberg.com/2012/kollahomba/

Really it's about packaging. Everything visual is connected. I've become a much better painter by studying graphic design (since the sciences overlap), I'm not a better painter in terms of handling the brush, but it's mostly about brains.

Work with whatever you want to work with, but find anchor points. Talk about target audiences and work with the promotional stuff around the game project or whatever you are working on. Work with the logotypes and try to find an art style.

Just don't focus too much on concept art even thought it's what you really want to do (I did concepts too, but I limited myself to only work with it for two weeks)

Personal portfolio: http://erikfriberg.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (yes, my project was accepted and I got my exam, :-), but well depends on what school you are applying and their ideology )

Personal portfolio: http://erikfriberg.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.