90% off select Anime Studio and Manga Studio titles
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 90% off select Anime Studio and Manga Studio titles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up 90% off select Anime Studio and Manga Studio titles

The available Manga Studio only goes up to Debut 4 (but five bucks, I mean why not??) but Anime Studio goes up to the Pro 8 version. If anyone's interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000796511
    (Edit: Sorry, looks like the deal ended. You might peruse the topic anyway if you'd like to learn a little bit about Manga Studio Debut vs EX and how it compares to Photoshop.)

Last edited by manlybrian; April 26th, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems to be US only.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I wanted to mess around with this software for the heck of it ages ago. Can't beat 5 dollars to play around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome. has anyone tried manga studio before? How does it compare to PS and Illustrator?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should certainly check out the differences between the Debut and EX versions. Obviously EX is vastly more powerful. From what I read, you can't import 3D objects into Debut and a lot of tools are missing. Like the eye dropper for example. Which is why, at full price, many people say just pay the extra money for EX, ESPECIALLY if you're using it for professional work. I think Debut is just a bare bones comic drawing program, nothing fancy. At five dollars, however, I think it's worth a try-out.

I don't know how it holds up against photoshop (but their powers combined could be stronger than Captain Planet!). But Doug TenNapel talks a little bit about it here:

He says it's much easier than Photoshop for drawing comics. He started recently using Manga Studio for his comics, so if you want an idea of what kind of stuff the program can produce, he used it for his Bad Island, and Ghostopolis, and Cardboard comics. Ethan Nicolle uses it too for Axe Cop and some of his other stuff. In the video posted above TenNapel gives a lot of demonstration about the program, so it's a good one to watch.

EDIT: oh yeah, Debut can only output to jpg too, I've heard. Not tiff, or png, or any others.

Last edited by manlybrian; April 26th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Messed around with it for a bit. It's nice if your well.... ... trying for a manga look. Which is basically it's purpose a simple and easy way to do it. You could probably achieve the same thing with photoshop and illustrator. But you'd obviously have to find the brushes and patterns and customize it.

The one thing that was a lot easier than photoshop was making a page of panels. You just create a block then use a tool to cut it into pieces you can manipulate.

The pen tool I'm guessing is vector based like in Illustrator of sorts. You could edit the output and pressure nicely to give different weight pretty well. Fun to play with.

Then the tones are the main thing you have to learn but are useful when trying to get the manga feel. A bit annoying to figure out at first since basically you make a selection with lasso or any other tool then fill in the toner you choose from. Personally I just made a layer, filled a large area filling up whatever I wanted to tone then cut away at it with an eraser and that did fine.

Some nice tools for getting speedlines and such. Dialogue balloons and all that jazz.

Could do anything in PS or Illustrator probably you could do in it. It's just made to make the process easier. So if your going to try making a manga or something similar it's worth the 5 bucks.

Edit: Oh yeah and Debut it says you can output to jpg, bmp and photoshop. So you could probably just export to photoshop then export to another format you normally couldn't get. Not sure how the conversion would go but probably would be fine for most needs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1