Research on my project about alternative learning in arts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Research on my project about alternative learning in arts

Hello guys, before i say what i have in mind, i'd like to say, no this is not me asking for your time for survey or stuff similar to that.
    I just want to ask for your opinions and time to help me brainstorm and reach my goal. If you like, just treat this as another discussion thread about arts and education.

First of all, to say something about myself and my purpose.
    I'm a 5th year architecture student in the Philippines researching for my thesis about a project i made up by myself through my experiences in art, including my frustrations and curiosity about the arts industry.
    I want this project to be a solution to the industry and the situation that is facing the arts in my country, a third world.

I plan to make a structure that houses a project called "Visual Arts workshop center" Although it is a tentative title,
    Id like to discuss and maybe also debate on how to make this project a reality and construct a building that houses that project.
    I will change the title when project become finalized and show it here the progress i have made through my researches and interviews here in my country.

First of, I'd like to ask for your help to voice out your opinion on the said project.

On the project:
    It is a project that deals with short term art alternative education to interested and passionate individuals that cannot pursue arts as his/her major career.
    It may also add additional knowledge to young professionals pursuing a career in the arts, may it be finearts, media arts or something related to the arts.

My motivation:
    My country does not appreciate arts. Although there is a rich culture in the arts it is unfortunately weak and not easily available.
    Young artists or future pursuers are demoralized by the mass due to the situations that they face, such as financial issues, parents disapproving on the idea, and others.
    For an idea on the situation: http://philippines.deviantart.com/jo...ense-214185973 (the original link died)

Anyways as i see to it i made a solution by making art a 2nd career in the artists life, by developing it,
    not in college degrees in but in courses that you want, my inspiration is TAD. Not bounded by the traditional setting of college and degrees,
    it promotes learning for the learner and with freedom.

I'll update later on more of my ideas.

For now.
    Questions
    1. Where can artists that cannot pursue arts, develop their skills?
    2. Does Workshops have a lot of educational value to an individual maybe even more so to that traditional school system?
    3. Is a project like TAD sustainable? Yes, TAD is, but how about other institutions like that with the same concept?
    4. Should teaching art be approached differently than any other courses in college?
    5. As some say that portfolios are more important than degrees, especially in the arts, would you say that getting in to the industry without degrees and even internationally be possible?

Last edited by Mendics; April 25th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you start with an overview of art education, historical and/or modern. It gives you something to compare with...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Self-taught is a perfectly viable route. There are many possible models for cooperative studios, independent schools / ateliers, community education centers, etc. There are also tutoring and apprenticeship models.

2. Potentially yes, especially for specific subjects like using a particular technique or material. Less so for broad areas like drawing or art history.

3. There are many in the US. Where you are, I have no idea.

4. That is a matter of opinion and debate.

5. Yes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.